SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Waste Management (The Company)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waste Management (The Company) Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
I have had the honor of dealing with people from all walks of life including those with strong reputations for screwing people.

Wast Management now tops that list. Avoid like the plague.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the nature of the problem? We've used them for 18 years without issue.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We had a commercial contract with them for dumpster service. Every month the amount increased just enough that it wasn't really noticed. The fact that we paid the increased amount became the "new agreement" per the contract. By the end of the contract, we were paying almost double what the contract was originally signed for.

Fine. Dump them.

Sorry, can't. Contract says that the contract is auto-renewing unless cancelled no more than 180 days, or no fewer than 90 days prior to the expiration date. Stuck for another year, but mark the date on the calendar.

But if you sign a new contract, we'll lower the price back to what you originally were paying. Well I already know how that's going to turn out. Not to mention the new contract is for 3 years instead of 1. Not happening.

Jump through the hoops to cancel the original auto-renewing agreement. Just can't call on the phone. Must send certified letter. Done, done, and done. Finally through with them. All that's left is the $150.00 dumpster pick up fee outlined in the contract.

Get a bill for $212.00. Not going to pay $150.00 plus a bunch of BS invented fees (including the $5.00 they charged me to mail the bill). Call customer service and explain such.

Remit an accord and satisfaction letter. Stapled to the letter is a check for the agreed upon $150 with a restricted endorsement and the memo line noted as such. They cashed the check.

Roughly 90 days later and I'm still getting bills for the difference plus $10 per month ($5.00 for "being late" and $5.00 for sending me the bill).

The service was fine. Their pricing was way out of line compared to other service providers in the area. I signed a contract, and I honored that contract despite their deceptive practices. They're still trying to squeeze.

Switched to another local outfit that charges me the original agreed upon price with WM (half of what I ended up paying). In exchange I got a dumpster twice the size, and zero BS fees tacked on.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to sound rude, but did you even read your contract?

About half the items you mentioned would have had me walking away, nothing signed.

And I thought it was bad when the cable company charged me $120 instead of $85 after all the BS fees.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but did you even read your contract?

Indeed. A good percentage of contracts offered by large national companies are similar.

The difference is that most do not try to screw you every which way possible while hiding behind it. I don't have cable, but I have heard those companies have business models similar to WM's. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
My experience with them has been positive from a community involvement pov. They participate in the local little league recycling and sponsored little league teams. No issues here.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
They participate in the local little league recycling and sponsored little league teams. No issues here.

Lots of extra money to spread around. I'll have to look to see if one of those extra fees covered little league sponsorships. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Your rep can write the contract to not exceed x$ and not auto renew.

I have neg countless contracts with them.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your rep can write the contract to not exceed x$ and not auto renew.

I suppose. But why would I want to do any future business with them after they acted in this fashion?

That and the company that replaced them is half the price, offers twice the container, doesn't add on any BS fees, and no contract required.

www.zykansafe.com

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Same situation with me to a T. Then they got me in a new contract by bringing a new dumpster and having an employee of mine sign that they delivered it. In there was Another year contract. I fought that, won, told them to come get their dumpster. I'll start my own dumpster company before I use them again.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
V-tail is right!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well V tail is right. It could be worse. Zamone Brothers brings your garbage back to you. Enjoy..

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Waste Management is a real garbage company.

"GOGI"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's the same Waste Management company out here, but I called them 2 weeks ago to rent a small dumpster for a house cleanup. Called them on Wednesday. They said it would be delivered Thursday, Friday at the latest. Friday afternoon rolls around and no dumpster, so I call them to see what's up. They lost the order. No trace of it in their system. But they'd be happy to re-submit the order for me. Click. Mad

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got rid of them years ago. They increased their fees for fuel when the prices went through the roof. Never lowered them to reflect fuel prices coming down. Couple that with their fees that you mentioned, and no thanks. Went with a local company and have been much happier. Going to have to watch things now, because the local company was bought out by a larger one. We'll be watching the fees and rates to see if we need to move on to a different one.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
One of their trucks literally ran over my 96 F-150 with me in it totaling it. That was the start of the nightmare. Continuous harassing phone calls trying to get me to discuss details of the accident. To which I refused and simply stated, "Please contact my insurance company." That was followed by harassing phone calls threatening lawsuits over damage to their vehicle, vehicle being out of service, etc.

The lady driving behind me stopped and gave a statement to the investigating officer that was in my favor. They harassed her so much that she had her cell phone number changed.

So no, I will never have dealings with Waste Management if I can help it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I wanted to tear down and replace a shed plus do an attic/household cleanout. I needed to rent a dumpster for what I estimated to be 4-5 days. Out of the companies I researched Waste Management had the highest prices and shortest time allowances. When I called to check pricing and terms I was treated more as a nuisance than a potential customer. WM wanted stupid money for a small dumpster for a only few days along with a crap ton of restrictions on what could go inside it.

I went with a local company (Bay Disposal) and rented a 8’ x 22’ high-sided construction dumpster for about half what WM was asking for their smallest dumpster. Bay also allowed up to 14 days use, WM was something silly like only 3 days. Bay's people were also very friendly and easy to deal with.

I don't know how Waste Management treats their business clients but they sure seem like they're out to screw residential customers. Between their pricing, terms, and phone rep's attitudes they'll never see a dime of my money.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We used to have residential trash service with a local company here in CO, EDS. WM bought them a few years ago. ABout 6 months after they bought EDS our trash service basically doubled in 4 months. I canned them and got another local company, Mtn View waste. Screw WM.

I was talking with a neighbor in March. Apparently there's a new company around...they do "white glove" treatment! You don't have a set time for pickup. They will come by, pull out your trash cans from where ever they are stored, dump them and return the cans to where you had them! Neighbor said it was a great new company. Thought about trying them, but haven't.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I suppose you should be thankful you have the option of going with another company.

Most cities in the Bay Area are locked into one particular company which has the contract from time immemorial.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post