SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    EPA/CARB-compliant jerry can nozzles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EPA/CARB-compliant jerry can nozzles Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Son of a goat fucker! I was dismayed this morning to see that Lexington Container Co. is only selling their NATO jerry cans w/ EPA/CARB-compliant nozzles. (They used to sell just the cans and regular nozzles a la carte.) For the inconvenience of having a nozzle I don't want and will immediately throw away, I also get to pay $80 rather than the $49 they used to charge for just the 20L can. I sent them an e-mail and got this quick reply.

Hello Rob,

Thank you for contacting us about our jerry cans.

Now all cans will have to be sold with the EPA/CARB Nozzles (cans and nozzles together) we will no longer sell the cans or nozzles separately or without the EPA/CARB nozzles.

All nozzles will have be the EPA/CARB style nozzles to comply with EPA/CARB LAW, we will no longer sell the older style nozzles.

These are the "exact same quality" of jerry cans previously sold but now have to be sold with EPA/CARB NOZZLES and paper warning label.

We understand the EPA/CARB jerry cans sold with the nozzles are priced at $79.99 each and are $10.00 more each 49.99 + 19.99 = 69.98 old style can with nozzle, and not everyone needs more then one nozzle, but for us to comply with EPA/CARB LAW the cans have to be sold with EPA/CARB nozzles.

This is now being strictly enforced by the EPA.

Thanks,

David | Customer Service | lexingtoncontainer@yahoo.com

Customer service is still great. Not their fault. I'm just pissed.

And where in the hell is Scott Pruitt on this one?!

Anyone who has ever poured gas knows damn well that EPA/CARB compliant is .gov code for "spill as much gasoline outside of the fuel tank, on the ground, on your clothes as possible".

Fuck.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I finally gave in and bought the No-Spill gas can. Now my blood pressure doesn't spike when filling up the mower.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
I finally gave in and bought the No-Spill gas can. Now my blood pressure doesn't spike when filling up the mower.

Never heard of them but I like it a lot.

No Spill Jill ain't bad to look at either Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I just bought 4 - 5 gallon jugs. I like them so much, I bought a set for my parents too.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gall...words=vp+jug+red+set

I also have 1 of these from years ago, and I would've bought more, but they didn't offer a multi-can discount (with filler hoses)...

https://www.amazon.com/Scribne...cribner+jug+5+gallon

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A Justrite type 2 safety can is still my choice for fuel storage and dispensing. They have different colors, yellow for diesel, blue for kerosene, and red for gasoline. Of course, they don't fit too well in jerry can carriers.

The best jerry cans, in my opinion, are the Scepter ones made for our military, but you have to find a source for the original ones made in Canada. I see Scepter is now selling a CARB compliant version for the US consumer market.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I'm glad I bought mine a year or so ago.

I still wanted to get a small one for gas-oil mix. Mad Thankfully, you CAN still find compatible pour spouts on Ebay that don't have the carb BS.

Most of the Scepter US distributors are GOV/MIL only for the non-carb version. ::sigh::

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
That sucks. I'm glad I bought mine a year or so ago.

I still wanted to get a small one for gas-oil mix. Mad Thankfully, you CAN still find compatible pour spouts on Ebay that don't have the carb BS.

There are a few resellers on Amazon selling the NATO-style nozzles as well (in various colors). I'm going to pick up a few extras soon.

As for the no-spill, VP, Justrite, Eagle, etc. - I've never spilled fuel using a jerry can and nozzle. I've never NOT spilled fuel using any kind of EPA-friendly plastic can.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The VP and Scribner jugs I linked to are not EPA type. They are just a plain flexible tube.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
The VP and Scribner jugs I linked to are not EPA type. They are just a plain flexible tube.

If I fill them, hold them upside down, and shake them around a bunch, will they leak? At all?

My NATO jerry cans won't.

-Rob

A=A

posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N24F44H?psc=1

Not what you seek?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Slight drift/EPA rant.

EPA has brought us "low water use flush toilets", These gas can nozzles, low VOC paint systems, various hydrocarbon based engine changes and "electric" cars, to name only a small few.

Every one of them, in normal use, result in the same or greater negative impact to the environment that they supposedly help.

For example(s);

The gas can nozzles cause more fuel to be spilled trying to use them, that the "prevented" spills. I have yet to be able to pour 16 oz of gasoline into a mower without spilling about 20% on the mower/ground every time I tried to use them. So I remove the damned thing, use a funnel and pour all the gas into the tank without spilling a drop.

Flush toilets. Yep, 1.6 gallon weak assed, dribbling water-can't-move-a-mouse-turd-down-the-hole, resulting in multiple flushes and leading some folks to circumventing the design to dump more water per dump down the dumper.

Low VOC paints requiring multiple re-paints and increased efforts (as well as introducing more crap into the environment as a result) than the systems and formulas that worked, Ass well as failed painted surfaces with flaking/lost paint, and repaints.

"Gasahol" and the ruined engines, pour economy, the "additives" market and the lack of control of how much crap people pour into the tank trying to mitigate the damage that "E-blends" cause, including the impact to the environment in rebuilding and repairing engines and the subsequent waste.

Then there is the impact to the environment of producing, and the "birth to death" of batteries and the manufacturing processes.

And all of these and more, resulting in the farming out of work, manufacturing and so forth to third world countries that don't give a single shit as to the damage that their methods and procedures to mine, and produce the goods we are now required to have, at a cost we can afford due to the added taxation, impact fees, cost of regulation, ad nauseam.

It is all like carbon monoxide, the silent killer, insideous and sneak up and kill you while you sleep.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Slight drift/EPA rant.

EPA has brought us "low water use flush toilets", These gas can nozzles, low VOC paint systems, various hydrocarbon based engine changes and "electric" cars, to name only a small few.

Every one of them, in normal use, result in the same or greater negative impact to the environment that they supposedly help.

For example(s);

The gas can nozzles cause more fuel to be spilled trying to use them, that the "prevented" spills. I have yet to be able to pour 16 oz of gasoline into a mower without spilling about 20% on the mower/ground every time I tried to use them. So I remove the damned thing, use a funnel and pour all the gas into the tank without spilling a drop.

Flush toilets. Yep, 1.6 gallon weak assed, dribbling water-can't-move-a-mouse-turd-down-the-hole, resulting in multiple flushes and leading some folks to circumventing the design to dump more water per dump down the dumper.

Low VOC paints requiring multiple re-paints and increased efforts (as well as introducing more crap into the environment as a result) than the systems and formulas that worked, Ass well as failed painted surfaces with flaking/lost paint, and repaints.

"Gasahol" and the ruined engines, pour economy, the "additives" market and the lack of control of how much crap people pour into the tank trying to mitigate the damage that "E-blends" cause, including the impact to the environment in rebuilding and repairing engines and the subsequent waste.

Then there is the impact to the environment of producing, and the "birth to death" of batteries and the manufacturing processes.

And all of these and more, resulting in the farming out of work, manufacturing and so forth to third world countries that don't give a single shit as to the damage that their methods and procedures to mine, and produce the goods we are now required to have, at a cost we can afford due to the added taxation, impact fees, cost of regulation, ad nauseam.

It is all like carbon monoxide, the silent killer, insideous and sneak up and kill you while you sleep.

Results don't matter. They get to feel good they are "doing something".

What problem are these new gas cans solving anyways? Serious question. I really don't understand the purpose.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

If I fill them, hold them upside down, and shake them around a bunch, will they leak? At all?

-Rob

Curiosity go the better of me, so I went out to my garage and tested it. The VP cans, sans spouts, do not leak if held up side down and shaken (with a full 5 gallons of gasoline in them).

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

-Rob

Curiosity go the better of me, so I went out to my garage and tested it. The VP cans, sans spouts, do not leak if held up side down and shaken (with a full 5 gallons of gasoline in them).

That's honestly pretty impressive. I've never encountered a can that would seal that well (other than the jerry cans). If it comes to it, I suppose I'll have to look at them in the future.

Thanks for the effort!

-Rob

A=A

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N24F44H?psc=1

Not what you seek?

The nozzles are the correct 'non-compliant' kind. not sure about quality, though. Not enough detail in the description. There are some truly crappy knock off "NATO-style" jerry cans out there. Thin steel, poor welds, cheap coatings, etc.

-Rob

A=A

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I have easily spilled more gas on the ground using the stupid EPA-compliant nozzles than I did in 30+ years using the old style. It's ridiculous.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It gets even better. CONNOSHA (CT state osha) requires us to use metal gas cans with a "device to stop fuel flow when released by the user" So all I can buy at Home Depot is a shitty plastic EPA mandated can with a spout that pours fuel, which disregards the osha mandate. Or I can buy an osha compliant can which violates the EPA standard.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They may be claiming the EPA is "mandating them" but in reality are just trying to make more money off their customers.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They may be claiming the EPA is "mandating them" but in reality are just trying to make more money off their customers.

I was curious about that, but hadn't gotten around to looking it up yet. Could it really be that fans have to be sold with nozzles? In point of fact, it seems that every reputable retailer of quality jerry cans is only selling them this way now.

-Rob

A=A

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I hate those damn things with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns!

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post