SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How many millionaire engineers does it take, Apple?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many millionaire engineers does it take, Apple? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
iPhone was fully charged this morning at 7am. Checked email a few times (just checked if I had some new ones; didn’t actually open any emails). Missed a call that went to voicemail. Not much more than that.

Tried to make a call at 3pm. Battery was dead. Seems like a problem with iOS 12.1.

Seriously, how many millionaire engineers does it take to not fuck up battery life time and time again? Once is a mistake. Fuck up battery life again and again and someone should be fired.

Obviously, despite the high compensation, Apple does not yet possess the engineering skills to not break something like battery life over and over again.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Is screen time turned on? What about app background refresh?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure what screen time is. It Refresh is off.

Unless there is something new or changed after the install, battery lasted most of the day before. Now, it’s in the red before dinner. And sooner if I actually use it a little.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I have also been noticing battery issues recently. Took part in the battery refresh option this year in my 6S so the battery is less than a year old.

One oddity I noticed if I use the Bluetooth phone connection to play something through my car. Later when the car is on and I am not using Bluetooth the app (Podcast or Audible) will start playing even while I am not listening, this may be one of the culprits for poor battery life.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which iPhone?

Check your battery life status. What percent capacity is it at? Mine was at 83% when fully charged. Don't forget that $29 battery replacement is ending soon.

Screen time is the new stupid app that collects data on how much you use your phone. I turned it off. I also turn off wifi and bluetooth until I need them so the phone isn't constantly looking for a connection.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 12.1 on 3 devices (XS, Mini2, Ipad Pro 12.9) and I haven't noticed any battery issues. I keep wifi, Bluetooth, and such off all of the time, unless I'm using wifi.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wife had exact same issues on an iPhone 6. Checked usage, screen time, etc. and nothing was running. overnight in an area with great cell coverage and on a wifi network, no BT on, phone would run from 100% to <20%.

Battery health showed 89%, but had batter replaced anyway at Genius Bar for their $29 deal (Only through end of year!!!). Seems to have fixed it, but even they said that shouldn't be the problem with battery showing that good.

My iPhone 7S+ hasn't had any similar issues.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here in the Hills, a lot of battery charge is used searchingbfor a tower to connect to.Top of rise, connection, bottom no connection, lots of dead areas, no matter top or bottom.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think I'm having issues with 12.1.1. Regardless, I think I'll have the battery replaced - I'll try going to the Bar today.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah for $29 everyone should get a new battery, regardless if it's not that old.

They damaged my screen during the battery swap so I got a brand new one. Wink

I'm still holding off on OS 12.1 on my phone, even though it asks me all the time to update.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems every time there is a problem with updates or the battery the customer pays, not the company. The last update totally bricked my phone a year ago. Had to get a new phone and wasted at least six hours trying to fix it.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember recently Apple was chastised for throttling phones with poor battery performance to maximize life. They probably turned that off with the new ios and now your phone is going full speed all the time and using up the old battery.

Which model iPhone do you have? I have a 6s and had mine replaced for free because certain serial numbers had bad batts from the factory.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Battery replaced - let's see how it does. And hopefully even better with the next ios release.

Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
both my and my wife's iphone 6es were having the same issue at the same time. use the $29 replacement option at apple or best buy

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was experiencing similar issues and it was due to to battery swelling due to temperature.
From what they told me the battery design was changed after the Samsung exploding phone issue to prevent the issue in Apple phones and was designed to swell and cause charging issues to get people back to the store and replace faulty batteries.
That’s what apple told me and replaced my phone as the swollen battery caused other damage to the phone.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Battery replaced - let's see how it does. And hopefully even better with the next ios release.

For $29 you can't beat that deal for an OEM apple battery installed. Hopefully it will fix your issue.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Been trying to find an apple authorized location to get my battery replaced and it looks like a 2+ hour drive to Richmond is the closest one. Mad

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Been trying to find an apple authorized location to get my battery replaced and it looks like a 2+ hour drive to Richmond is the closest one. Mad
Per the Apple website, there are a couple of authorized repair locations in Charlottesville.

Or if you can do without the phone for a few days, you can mail it in for battery replacement.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I only found one, SimplyMac and they’re closed.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I only found one, SimplyMac and they’re closed.
Cavalier Computers
Apple Authorized Service Provider
400 Emmet St S
Charlottesville, VA 22903-2481
434-243-8760

Check the Apple website. Click on "Support," right side, near the top of the page. Follow the prompts, you can get a list of authorized repair facilities, and also set up for mail-in to Apple, if you can do without the phone for a few days.

Whatever you do, be sure to make a backup first!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post