SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DOT SHOULD OUTLAW TOUCH SCREENS!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DOT SHOULD OUTLAW TOUCH SCREENS!! Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I am watching a review on the Porsche Taycan and we have yet another vehicle with screens controlling screens etc. I HATE THIS. THIS IS NOT SAFE.

Look I have no problems with big screens providing lots of configurable data. That said the driver should have access to intuitive tactile physical controls for anything that is typically used while driving. How these are allowed by the DOT boggles my mind.

I think a modern vehicle should come with a bank of configurable physical buttons similar to the BMW head unit but expanded beyond that. Lock out most of the touch screen options while moving barring large gross movement items.

Give the passenger access to a TV sized screen with access to any and everything while moving but only the passenger.

I know, I know get off my lawn but I hate taking eyes off the road to change temperature or adjust a vent or futz with a heated seat or audio.

Sigh. I had to get that out.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The difference being you have to look at the touchscreen for what needs to be activated and the buttons & knobs never move.

As for me, Harmon Kardon makes a fantastic car stereo.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They'll get right on that after they tackle people using ALL CAPS in a thread title.

Smile

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I've a Honda that has touch screen sound system however, the same controls can be accessed on the steering wheel and pretty intuitive so you don't really have to take your eyes off the road.

Additionally, you can pretty much access most features like navigation, phone and sound system controls by enabling voice control if you wish. I prefer to just let the sound system control itself bluetooth activated thru iPhone and let it fly with the exception of hitting the pause on occasion if needed.

Jap-tech is pretty advanced and works without a hitch so far, they're good with system integration be it touch or voice. I hardly use most of the features but nice to have if you so choose.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have to say before my wife's X3 I hated most units. The BMW one is so simple to use with the wheel that my hand never leaves the armrest. And 50% of what needs to be accomplished can be done without looking at it.

Even the nav voice recognition works pretty damned well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'll get right on that after they tackle people using ALL CAPS in a thread title

Touche’ errr I mean TOUCHE’ :P

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've also worried... what happens to sight impaired people if everything goes to touchscreens?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
^^
Hopefully, they are not driving the car.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new Durango. Most of the stuff I want to do are controlled by the steering wheel buttons. I set the touch screen up once after I bought it and dont fool much with now. Anything I want to adjust or change I do so after engine start and before I drive off.
And there is no doubt they can be yet another distraction while driving.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
^^
Hopefully, they are not driving the car.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee Uconnect system is touch screen. But it also has buttons for most stuff you'd commonly operate while driving, incl. temperature, fan speed, track/station change, and volume for the radio.

That being said: I always look to where my hands and fingers are going even with physical controls, anyway, and the touch screen on my Uconnect system is so good, I rarely use the physical buttons.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My Ram has a touch screen but it also has physical buttons on the steering wheel and on the console so I can do most functions without looking down including controls for my cell phone.

It also has a voice recognition system that lets me change most settings using voice commands.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My biggest bitch about my car is the stupid touch screen. I don't want to pull over to change my heat settings or radio station. Why did they put everything on the touch screen? Why not buttons for commonly used functions? F#$@ Ford SYNC 3.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Tesla I'm borrowing has a huge screen and no buttons.

It drives itself, so no issue having to look away momentarily.

But yeah, I'd love a car with milled aluminum switches, leather wrapped knobs and levers, open pore wood finishes, and engraved dials with understated LCD screens...maybe one day the luxury brands will go back that direction...

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
2017 Mercedes E63.
Owned one. They got it right. Big screen, all kinds of options. Controlled by a disc that turned and pushed. Once understood, it was a million times better than a touchscreen. It was a PITA at first, but when I dumped the Merc, and got a car with a touchscreen, I thought what an archaic POS.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
My biggest bitch about my car is the stupid touch screen. I don't want to pull over to change my heat settings or radio station. Why did they put everything on the touch screen? Why not buttons for commonly used functions? F#$@ Ford SYNC 3.

Have you tried using voice commands? I have SYNC 3 and don't have to pull over for radio and climate control settings. There's buttons ands knobs for those functions. Navigation uses voice commands. Setting up a new Bluetooth connection is the only thing I've had to pull over for.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^This. I'd much rather use voice commands. Of course, I'm much too cheap to own a car with a touch screen (and my wife would have a fit. She HATES tech.)

I'm old enough to remember my uncle's DeSoto with an ivory steering wheel and dashboard knobs. His widow kept the cigarette lighter insert. Too cool.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've also worried... what happens to sight impaired people if everything goes to touchscreens?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excellent point. The Space program was smart about this stuff they hired Human Factor Psychologists who designed controls that were easily understood and intuitive. I have very poor visual attention to detail but well above average auditory memory and skills. These sorts of displays cause problems for me.

Web sites that have light grey printing on a white background are impossible for me. I predict there will be a few lawsuits and the designs may change. There is a movement within the Tech community to make things more accessible and intuitive. There is a huge market for this sort of thing and hopefully it will change.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
= =

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I'm just happy that i can actually drive still. When i was a kid all the popular mechanics type magazines said we wouldn't be driving any longer. This scared the shit out of me. I wanted to drive! Not have the car drive for me!

I generally like physical buttons as well and understand the OP's plight. My gripe is that the touchscreens on some of these cars are no where near as good on the touch part as the phone in your shirt pocket. Tesla being the only one i have experience with that is actually decent.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post