SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The pepperoni goes on top of the cheese.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The pepperoni goes on top of the cheese. Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:...

Bacon and pepperoni are two completely different things.

If it looks like a pig, swims like a pig, and quacks like a pig, then it probably is a bacoroni.

Crispy that critter.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
As somebody who was going to open a pizza place and spent a fair amount of time looking into the science of baking pizzas.....

Painting with a broad brush, many toppings should go above the cheese. This allows them to be toasted. Ovens are dry, and your toppings release steam (and grease in the case of pepperoni) as they cook. Putting toppings under the cheese makes for a soggy pizza.

There are a few ingredients that should go under the cheese for this very same reason. Toppings that bake well go over, toppings that don't go under. Changing the style of the pizza may also flip this rule to some extent.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
As somebody who was going to open a pizza place and spent a fair amount of time looking into the science of baking pizzas.....

Painting with a broad brush, many toppings should go above the cheese. This allows them to be toasted. Ovens are dry, and your toppings release steam (and grease in the case of pepperoni) as they cook. Putting toppings under the cheese makes for a soggy pizza.

There are a few ingredients that should go under the cheese for this very same reason. Toppings that bake well go over, toppings that don't go under. Changing the style of the pizza may also flip this rule to some extent.

Which is exactly why meat goes under the cheese. Meat gets cooked. It shouldn't get toasted. And a properly made crust shouln't get soggy.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

If it looks like a pig, swims like a pig, and quacks like a pig, then it probably is a bacoroni.

Crispy that critter.

Wrong.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Crispy that critter.

Wrong.

Hey...pepperoni goes on top of the cheese. In case you didn't know.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t care if it’s under or over, but I agree pepperoni can’t just be warm so if you’re going to put it under then precook it or something. Warm chewy pepperoni sounds terrible.

I’m assuming someone or a group of someone’s much smarter than I am have decided pepperonis are best on top otherwise under the cheese would be the normal thing to do. Very few places put the toppings under the cheese from what I’ve seen.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I hear there are people who don’t put anchovies on pizza.

And then there are complete weirdos who put pineapple on them

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
dough, sauce, cheese, toppings, the toppings go on last,,,, on top,,,, hence, Toppings...

Chicago style or sicilian, dough, cheese, sauce, that way you get a crispier crust, not soggy...

Making Pizza what goes on First

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
People are strange and pizza is good.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago pan style is "backwards" but it's a style. Sausage is more prevalent than pepperoni though.

I like NYC style with the pepperoni on top.

Western NY style (Buffalo) uses thick cut pepperoni on top that curls up into little grease bowls. Gotta have that to get it right.

There's a small town place SE of Indianapolis that puts the toppings under the cheese, but their whole appeal is they load it up. Like they will take a "fan" of sliced pepperoni and just lay it in there like a slab. One piece of their pizza is enough, maybe two if you're really hungry.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Oddly, Chicago deep dish CASSEROLE has the meats and veggies on the bottom, then the cheese, and the sauce on top. And it’s outstanding. Maybe they precook the meats and veggies? Not sure, but I know everything is well-cooked and delicious!

There... fixed that for you. It's good stuff, but it ain't pizza.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1.Dough, 2.sauce, 3.cheese, 4.toppings.
If you do it any other way it’s calzone.

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I like pepperoni both under and above the cheese.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I like pepperoni both under and above the cheese.

I have no issue with redundant meat. I would not be strongly opposed to what you describe. My point is that I really love when pepperoni gets all crispy and oily. So as long as that is present the additional presence of uncooked meat under the cheese won't offend me.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're going to do it wrong, might as well go full retard and put it on the bottom.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Toppings on a pizza are called that for a reason. If you put everything under the cheese, they'd be underlings.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Toppings on a pizza are called that for a reason. If you put everything under the cheese, they'd be underlings.

I don't disagree with you (clearly, since I'm the OP). But some could argue that everything on the crust is a topping. Cheese is a topping, no? So they could argue that the order of toppings is not relevant. I obviously believe that all toppings must go on top of the cheese.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So, the truth is actually that it depends. Toppings that tend to burn in the oven either go under the cheese to protect them, or they go on after it comes out.

Some types of pepperoni actually like to burn around the edges while in the oven before the rest of the pie is correctly baked instead of crisping. This bothers some people. Some people complain. You do the math.

The end product, of course, can vary widely in terms of how nicely it turns out based on the ovens, the ingredients, and every other factor involved. Often enough, instead of sourcing a better ingredient like, say, a pepperoni that doesn't just burn black in their ovens is passed over in lieu of simply throwing some cheese on top - it's a known fix that works.

So there you have it. Reasons exist. I mean, fun replies in the thread are fun and all, but I'm telling you what a kitchen manager would tell a cook in their kitchen.

And I can almost guarantee they'll make it without a top coat of cheese on the pepperoni if you ask them to.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
So, the truth is actually that it depends. Toppings that tend to burn in the oven either go under the cheese to protect them, or they go on after it comes out.

Some types of pepperoni actually like to burn around the edges while in the oven before the rest of the pie is correctly baked instead of crisping. This bothers some people. Some people complain. You do the math.

The end product, of course, can vary widely in terms of how nicely it turns out based on the ovens, the ingredients, and every other factor involved. Often enough, instead of sourcing a better ingredient like, say, a pepperoni that doesn't just burn black in their ovens is passed over in lieu of simply throwing some cheese on top - it's a known fix that works.

So there you have it. Reasons exist. I mean, fun replies in the thread are fun and all, but I'm telling you what a kitchen manager would tell a cook in their kitchen.

And I can almost guarantee they'll make it without a top coat of cheese on the pepperoni if you ask them to.

Described earlier in the thread was the round pepperoni that cups up and holds a nice puddle of grease in the center. From my experience this is the smaller thicker pepperoni I see sometimes. It is also the type that tends to have burnt edges. I actually love the burnt edges. I could see some people complaining.

These go to eleven.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, that type comes to mind. I imagine it's probably a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. There's also some thinner sliced pepperoni I've encountered that burns not just right at the edges, but a fair portion of the slice, if not covered with cheese.

Some places DO take top cheese to ridiculous levels, though. What I'm talking about is just a sprinkling of cheese over the topped pie, really. If you're saying that the pepperoni was totally buried under the cheese, though, that's... that's just fucked. Big Grin

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post