SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What a mess - down comforters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a mess - down comforters Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
In many hotels I visit, they use down comforters which I really like - light weight yet warm. And no down leaking out.

My down comforter is leaking down like a sieve. I remove the cover and there is down everywhere. On the comforter, on inside the cover, on my clothes and now all over the room.

There should be a regulation that down comforters can't leak more than 1% of down. I don't remember where I bought the comforter (Costco?). I love down comforters but why can't these manufacturers get it right? Obviously it's known what needs to be down to properly baffle and prevent down from leaking out. Cheap bastards.

Now, I need to search for another down comforter that won't leak and won't break the bank.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
We've got a couple that we've had for years. No leaks. I'll have to see if Mrs. PHPaul remembers where we got them.

EDIT: Actually, I think they're fiber-filled rather than true down. Light and warm as toast tho.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the Hotel brand from Macy's for just under 6 years now and while I use it in a duvet, it does not leak at all. I went with #2 in thickness......but could've probably been happy with a #1.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. My bonafide down vest does that some. I see how that would be more than aggravating on a comforter. Real goose down is expensive. I have no need for a Canada goose jacket but I would hope they did not have this sort of problem.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll look into the Hotel branded comforter from Macy's. Maybe I should look into fiber-filled (faux down) as well. That may be good enough - they just don't tend to be as warm as I'd like though. Perhaps newer ones are better (like the material they use for winter jackets).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We've had a Cuddledown comforter for about 20 years. We sent it back a few years ago and they refurbed it.... came back like new.

No leaks, warm, lightweight and the company stood behind it.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ve had good luck with Eddie Bauer down comforters. On our second one now (after changing to King sized bed). No issues with loss of down over many years.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have been using down comforters for more than 60 years. The "blanket" type as well as those that look like a really big pillow.

Of course having a German wife, and spent 11 years in Germany helps when it comes to getting those.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post