SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I broke Taco Bell for roughly three minutes tonight...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I broke Taco Bell for roughly three minutes tonight... Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
Bought a new gen 2 beretta 1301 in a private sale earlier and decided to reward myself with a shredded chicken quesarito with no chipotle sauce

Got in the drive thru, ordered...$3.91 please pull around..great...

I look in my wallet....hey! 3 singles! Everything is coming up me

So I go to the ashtray, find I have exactly 91 cents, and I pull up to the window

$3.91 sir

Here you go! Exact change!

He smiles, takes my money, opens the cash register....and

Just stares at his hand.

It is now I realize I have given him a Kennedy half dollar, a quarter, a dime, a nickel and a penny to make 91 cents

For 30 seconds he just stares at his hand

For so long the girl who expedites the food notices it

Now we have two people staring at his hand and my dinner just out of reach

Then the manager comes over. Now 3 people staring.

Mind you, no one has said a word to me

Finally the girl at the counter in the store comes over. This teenager is clearly going places because she recognizes the 50 cent piece, my tender is finally accepted, and dinner delivered

Are people really this dumb?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

We'll be needing pics of the Beretta.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm old and retired. I go to the bank once a month. Yippee, that day is Thursday! But I always ask the teller for gold dollars and half dollar. Then I give them to my grand kids. A dollar isn't as much as it was once. I was overjoyed when my grandmother would give me a quarter. Big bucks in the early 1950s. But at least my young'uns will know the denominations.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can’t even get it right when your order curly fries instead of regular ones... curly fries are the straight ones right?

Who knows. Maybe they haven’t done fractions in school. I believe those coins say half dollar and not 50 cents

Reminded me of this video I saw the other day https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=304142883540439&_rdr

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are people really this dumb?

yep. Try giving them a penny back so you do not get the four pennies back in change. That could take a call to headquarters.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How do people learn things?
If someone has never seen a 50¢ piece, why would we expect them to know what it is? Are there classes in high school explaining the various denominations, and if so, do we really expect them to be remembered two years later? Young people spend almost as much time in school as we did long ago, and it’s claimed their homework loads are far higher, but much of that “study” is about making each other feel good and accepted, recognizing that blue is better than red politically, and that green is the bestest color of all rather than the topics that were considered important at one time. Ignorance is not stupidity.

And despite what us boomers largely believe, it’s not new. In the late 1960s I was asked by a young woman if the US fought against Germany in World War II. That was someone whose father was a career soldier who had served in the European theater during the war and had been wounded in combat against the Germans several times. I believe her concern was that she had found out she had some German heritage.

And yes, most of our coins don’t specify their denominations in cents. They are “dollar,” “half dollar,” “quarter dollar,” and “one dime.” “Dime‽ What’s a ‘dime’? Can I get a dime bag for that?” Ironically, only “nickels” and “pennies” indicate how much they are in cents.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the coin dies say "HALF DOLLAR" on it. That should be what is known in law enforcement circles as a "clue."

To get straight fries, call them cis-gendered fries. But not at Taco Bell.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Well, the coin dies say "HALF DOLLAR" on it.

But only on one side. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

How do people learn things? If someone has never seen a 50¢ piece, why would we expect them to know what it is? Are there classes in high school explaining the various denominations?
I do not know about classes in high school that teach this, but when my grandsons were in grade school, not positive but I think it was maybe third grade or thereabouts, I was helping one of them with his homework.

The workbook showed various denominations of coins and some of the homework questions were about making change.

He wasn't getting it. I did not have any change in my pocket, so I made the rounds of the family (this was at a July 4th family gathering) and collected a bunch of change, I then made up some exercises similar to those in his workbook and we practiced, hands-on with the coins, until he understood what he was supposed to do.

I do not know whether this sort of thing was taught in the public schools. My step-son, who thrived despite going to the public schools in that town, was not going to send his sons (the grandsons that I am referring to) to the public school system. The best school in town was the Catholic school. Nobody in the family is Catholic, but he wanted a good school for his kids, so he interviewed, the kids passed the admission requirements, and tuition was paid for a solid education through high school.

It worked. Both boys are now in college with earned scholarships and are heading for careers in health care.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Always mess with their minds.
$2.00 bill + $1.00 bill + 50¢ piece + 1 Canadian quarter + 1 dime + 1 nickel + 1 steel penny + 3 S&H Green Stamps.
That would keep them staring for a month.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few Sacagawea dollars I should try that with.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
On the other side of the coin (no pun intended), if their cash register doesn't tell them how much to give back, they are stumped.

Something that gets me is coupled with the first part this post is when their register says $3.52 cash back, they stack 3 dollar bills, the 52 cent and the receipt and hand it to me. I generally put it down and tell them to count it back -- THAT starts the "need a manager on register ...."

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
decided to reward myself with a shredded chicken quesarito

We clearly have different views about a reward, to me Taco Bell is nothing but pain and regret

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want to play stump the cashier, try paying with a $2 bill. I'll occasionally get a few from the bank, then watch the puzzled looks when I pay with one. (I never do this when there is a line behind me of customers waiting to cash out.) They'll sometimes call over the manager, ask if it's real etc.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the X - Ray place sent me a bill for $1.33 a while back.

I called and asked them if they could let me slide on it .

she said no , "everything over .99 cents must be paid in full"

I went to the office and paid the lady with a one dollar coin and exact change.

she looked at the dollar, tapped it on the counter , looked at it with her cheater glasses on and asked what it was.
Big Grin

this lady was over 50 years old and had never seen a one dollar coin.

she was only seconds away from calling a bank to verify when someone told her it was legit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I have managed cashier's for about 20 years. At one of my locations about 15 years ago we had people frequently paying (immigrants that didn't know what they had) their $1 transactions with 100+ year old Morgan silver dollars. One of my cashier's that paid attention would trade $1, and take the Morgan's to the coin store and make $120.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
You have an ashtray? Eek

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've witnessed millenials who cannot tell time on an analog watch, cannot read a map nor count change. Communication is preferred only via social media. The future leaders of America.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have had young people buying a gun at the LGS who had to check their driver's license to spell their full names. They can't sign their names, they print them.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
[Obi-Wan Kenobi impression] A Kennedy half-dollar. Now there's something I haven't seen in a long, long time. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw one. It may well be longer than the TB employees have been alive.

If you really want to drive them crazy, use Jefferson $2 bills.Razz Your bank may be able to give you some.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post