SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Time to find a new pediatrician
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to find a new pediatrician Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
"You need to get your daughter involved in a less violent sport." So needless to say, we're looking for a new pediatrician...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Archery.

Yeah, very violent. Never know when a Bow and Arrow might go off on it's own.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry if I missed it. What sport was the doc referring to? Pediatricians sometimes practice outside of their area of expertise. This sounds like the case here.

Is the doc referring to psychological issues or physical trauma?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Like football?

Seriously - what a maroon. Target archery is among the least violent sports I can imagine. Control, discipline, and calm are the hallmarks of the target shooting games. Badminton has more aggression. Any traditional contact sport is many times more violent. I would have gone into cross examination mode with that poltroon and embarrassed him over that ill-chosen phrase, and then would have changed docs, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was expected "Do you have a gun in your home, sir?" But archery? Damn...

Well, we can't all be Korean and play Starcraft II professionally Roll Eyes

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Like football?

Seriously - what a maroon. Target archery is among the least violent sports I can imagine. Control, discipline, and calm are the hallmarks of the target shooting games. Badminton has more aggression. Any traditional contact sport is many times more violent. I would have gone into cross examination mode with that poltroon and embarrassed him over that ill-chosen phrase, and then would have changed docs, too.

Oh trust me, I let the doctor know exactly how I felt about her statement and how much ignorance was involved on her part. The local news here has been running stories on the, "Epidemic" of teen suicide in Phoenix this year. I suspect that may have been the source for the docs line of thinking.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Like football?

Oh trust me, I let the doctor know exactly how I felt about her statement and how much ignorance was involved on her part. The local news here has been running stories on the, "Epidemic" of teen suicide in Phoenix this year. I suspect that may have been the source for the docs line of thinking.

So, Pediatrician thinks your Daughter might commit suicide with a Bow and Arrow?

Don't walk away.....run for another Doctor.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
So, Pediatrician thinks your Daughter might commit suicide with a Bow and Arrow?

Don't walk away.....run for another Doctor.

No it's the typical over reaction and thinking something must be done about, "Violent" behavior in teens. Not defending it at all, it's just that unfortunately I've seen that line of thinking before.

posted Hide Post
quote:

In my opinion that is practicing psychiatry without a license. I think the pediatrician needs a psych. consult.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is archery violent?

What an idiotic chick.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bow and Arrow

I guess it all depends if it is dropped at a -30 from six feet.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Oh, please tell us that Maya was there for that. What did she say?

Hell, I might have been tempted to invite doc to have that conversation with her directly just for the entertainment value.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tell the pediatrician to "take the red pill".

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Like football?

My buddy is in full-time ministry to med school students, and he is married to a physician. Nearly all of the med school students have excelled at school their whole lives, but it's an understatement to say they're socially awkward and incredibly sheltered. Once they get past their residency they finally get a chance to live. I've spent some time around the students and my friend's supporters (mainly doctors), and what Maya's doctor said is exactly the kind of socially awkward thing I've heard from the students and residents. For example, a doctor in residency joined a group of us for dinner one night, and the resident said to one of the ladies, "I think we've met before at a past group dinner. Were you the gal whose fiancee had just broken off the engagement 2 weeks before the wedding?"

If you think I'm right, perhaps you can invite the doctor out for an intro to archery session with Maya. You may make a friend and an archery convert.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly all of the med school students have excelled at school their whole lives, but it's an understatement to say they're socially awkward and incredibly sheltered.

All med school admissions are based on academic achievement. That is to say, there are no slots for people with common sense allocated to the incoming students. The four years are an incredibly insular process and very few flunk out because the system is geared to prevent that from happening.

While most turn out to be O.K. physicians and surgeons, a fair number never mature socially and are doctor-nerds all their life.

We tend to call them pathologists and anesthesiologists.

<EDIT> Those who choose psychiatry are just nuts. Seriously.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
We tend to call them ... anesthesiologists.
You mean like Gustofer? Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
We tend to call them ... anesthesiologists.
You mean like Gustofer? Razz

Apparently, he escaped with a personality. Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ha! Your Doc's head would probably explode if she heard that our local Juvenile Court has a program that uses archery as a means to help troubled teens learn skills like self-discipline, attention to detail, mental focus, relaxation, etc.

"Ehrmagerd! They're teaching delinquents to be violent!"

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Use the terms "boundary violation" and "state medical boards" in the same sentence.

Doctors have no business giving non-medical advice for which they are not trained.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post