SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Financial idiocy in 3.... 2.... 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financial idiocy in 3.... 2.... 1 Login/Join 
posted
So I bought this tiny little Chevy a couple of years ago. Finance tiny little car with GM Financial. Make all my payments right on time electronically on the first of the month. All is well, right?
Possibly not.
On 12- 29, GM Financial shut down completely for an "upgrade" to the on line payment system. And shut off their phone CS too. No e-mail to me about this so I could work around it. When I got my monthly statement, there was a helpful note telling me all about the situation, saying they would be back in service on 1-5. I received my statement 1-2. Thanks for the heads up, fellas!
And amazingly, 1-5 has come and gone and they are still down. My payment is due 1-7.
Any bets on whether or not they come back up in time to keep my payment from being late? With all the fees and interest rate increases that entails?
Color me skeptical! Smoothly done, GM Financial!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I would imagine they will work with you if the system does not allow you to make a payment on time. In the meantime I would send an email listing your concerns. Did you contact your dealer to see if they could help? I am sure they have a good number to call or maybe even take your payment.

Good luck

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take screenshots of the “down” messages.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
OK, you make your payments on the 1st of the month, but the due date is actually the 7th? Is there any grace period beyond that before the payment is actually considered late? And I haven't heard of a fixed contract car loan that raises interest rates for a payment a day or two late, but a late fee could apply. In any event, I'll bet they get their act together before this becomes a problem.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my truck payment is due the 10th, hopefully they can manage to unfuck themselves before then.

here's their twitter it's vague, telling me the're really in rough shape.
https://twitter.com/gmfinancial

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no grace period. I am not certain about the interest rate being affected but some creditors will do that if you are late.

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Does your bank have an online payment system? A big payee like GM Financial likely will take EFT payment from banks in one day. You might try that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Obviously lots of people will be affected by this. They will probably work with you.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Good example where if you’re going to pay online anyway just set up as recurring. If something like this happens it would be a nonevent.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Mail a check (to late now) but they take checks don't they? Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You don't even have to put it on autopilot. It's just better to push the payment from your bank to the recipient than have the recipient pull it from the bank.

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Good example where if you’re going to pay online anyway just set up as recurring. If something like this happens it would be a nonevent.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Site came back up today and it accepted my payment. One day late. No indication of a late fee. I will look at the account later to see if it changes later in the month.
The whole thing was for them to provide an "enhanced experience" on the site. It looks unchanged and the sign in procedure was the same, too.
So..... WTF?