SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Self-important, entitled... flyer.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self-important, entitled... flyer. Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I call her a “flyer” because I can’t say BITCH in the thread title.

Mrs.BurtonRW and I are sitting here at 30-something thousand feet over Nebraska on our way to San Diego for a little R&R.

Alaska Air flies direct from BWI and our first class seats on this 737-800 are very comfy. The way the three first class rows are spaced, each window seat (including Mrs.BurtonRW’s) has two windows.

The entitled BITCH in front of us apparently didn’t appreciate the glare from OUR forward window on the screen of her tablet, on which she was watching some dumbass program, so what did she do? Ask if we minded if she closed it? Oh, no. She just reached back and shut it herself.

That’s Mrs.BurtonRW’s window, you entitled BITCH. That’s not even your seat! Oh, yes. We’ve been watching you since the terminal, where you inserted yourself at the front of the first class boarding line where the rest of us were waiting for the pre-boards. We were watching you when you just decided to board somewhere between the handicapped and military - couldn’t even wait for them to call first class.

You got lucky that 2F didn’t show, so you got to move over to your window seat. Now deal with your own windows and leave ours the f- alone!

If anyone knows the entitled BITCH on Alaska 377 from BWI nonstop to SAN, 10/20/18, ticketed in 2D, please feel free to share this with her.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Please tell me you SLAMMED it back open.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
After our initial comments, which involved several exclamatory phrases of disbelief, we did continue to speak rather loudly about her.

She stopped watching her show just minute after the infraction and appeared to attempt to sleep.

So you’re damned right we opened it back up.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You done good, Rob. Too bad that the rules do not permit you to smack her!

I had sort of a similar thing, years ago, on a transoceanic flight. I was window seat. The movie was about to start, Flight Attendant came by, reached across me, and without a word, she closed my shade.

I am a bit claustrophobic, that made me extremely uncomfortable, so I opened the shade. Flight Attendant returned to my row to close the shade again, I told her that I could not deal with closed in spaces, and I was perfectly capable of opening the shade as many times as she closed it.

No closed spaces for me, unless I have my comfort ostrich along. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Among frequent flyers in business or 1st class, there is an unwritten rule about keeping the window shades down when the lights in the cabin are off and it's time to sleep. This is more of an issue on long intercontinental flights where people need to sleep, but the plane is always flying in daylight.

That said, on any US domestic flight during daylight, it's up to the passenger to do what they want with their window. If the light/glare from someone else's window is bothering you a polite request to close (fully or partially) the shade is usually all that is needed.

Also, very high status frequent flyers get to board first, after those with young children, those needing assistance, and active duty military. On United you will hear "Global Services" called before any general boarding by groups (including 1st class) - and when I had that status it let me bypass all the lines and board first, AFTER the special needs and active duty. Hell, I would even go get active duty military and tell them to go to the front, they earned it. They would always call me sir and say it's OK they will wait, but I would still help them to the front of the line.

The worst I've heard of are non-military with surplus digital camo backpacks pretending to be mil so they can get on faster. Then you hear them laugh about it. That should be you arrested for impersonation and banned from the airline IMO.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Among frequent flyers in business or 1st class, there is an unwritten rule...

Got that. Not our first rodeo. Not the case here. The sun was fully up. The sunrise had already passed our longitude.

quote:
That said, on any US domestic flight during daylight, it's up to the passenger to do what they want with their window. If the light/glare from someone else's window is bothering you a polite request to close (fully or partially) the shade is usually all that is needed.

Exactly.

quote:
Also, very high status frequent flyers get to board first, after those with young children, those needing assistance, and active duty military. On United you will hear "Global Services" called before any general boarding by groups (including 1st class).

Yep. Again - not new at this. I meant to include ALL of the pre-boards, including the special status priority passengers in my first post. Alaska Air doesn’t really have categories other than special assistance, UAMs, children > 2, and active duty. She didn’t fit ANY of those categories. Just didn’t want to wait for them to call the regular boarding order.

quote:
The worst I've heard of are non-military with surplus digital camo backpacks pretending to be mil so they can get on faster. Then you hear them laugh about it. That should be you arrested for impersonation and banned from the airline IMO.

Sack of doorknobs is called for.

-Rob

A=A

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I spent all day yesterday flying home from Maine. It just re-enforced why I despise air travel. Even flying first class sucks anymore.

Why, exactly, does it take a hundred or so people a full thirty minutes to board a plane and sit the fuck down? It's a mystery.

Why, when the plane finally comes to a stop, does every single person immediately stand up and grab their bags, serving only to congest the aisle and ultimately slow down the deplaning process? It's a mystery.

I could go on...and on...

I've had better travel experiences on a Greyhound.

The only saving grace? Free drinks. I got my money's worth of gin and tonics.

And when did they stop having some kind of divider up between first class and coach? We can't seriously be asked to mingle with the riff-raff. I won't have it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Timely topic. This column includes a discussion about window shades. Apologies in advance that it's in wapo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.4764cd93e1ee

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to be a high-tier frequent flyer when I lived in Alaska and Canada, and some years made highest tier by May.

I can understand infrequent flyers not understanding normal airline passenger behavior, but I was appalled at some of the other high-tier frequent flyer's behavior.

For example, earlier this year I was seated in the aisle in economy plus seating and across the aisle was a wee little "man" who was going full fruit fly. He was offended that the middle seat was occupied by a man who was overweight, but not overweight enough to ooze outside his allotted space. He stopped the flight attendant 3x before the flight took off, and every time started his complaint with informing her what tier status he had. When they finally said they weren't going to do anything, he whipped out his phone, and opened the airline's website to lodge his petty complaint. He acted like the man in the middle seat was deaf and couldn't hear his bitchy little complaints. The middle seat passenger's face had a WTF look on it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Wait, since when does Alaska fly nonstop BWI-SAN?

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This might be a terminology misunderstanding.

Rob said "direct" flight, you are asking about "nonstop." These two terms do not necessarily mean the same thing.

All nonstop flights are direct, but the reverse is not true.

Some (all?) airlines use the term "direct" to designate a flight that goes from point A to point B without the need to change to a different airplane. There might or might not be intermediate stops, but you remain on the same plane.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't fly anymore. The seats are too small and too many butt stains think it's their world and we're just in it.

The only way I'll fly, is international...grudgingly.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Why, when the plane finally comes to a stop, does every single person immediately stand up and grab their bags, serving only to congest the aisle and ultimately slow down the deplaning process? It's a mystery.
This is the worst. I had to go to Knoxville, TN for work last week. On the flight home I purposely selected the seat farthest back so I could wait for everyone else to fight to get off the plane ahead of me.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I would have gotten out of my seat and asked if it would be okay to close your window so that I could work on whatever it was I was working on.

Out of general curiosity, would you have closed the window if she had asked?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
On the flights I have been on recently, it has been "military in uniform".

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
On the flight home I purposely selected the seat farthest back so I could wait for everyone else to fight to get off the plane ahead of me.

I do this for a living, and so travel very frequently. When I'm not driving, I look for the farthest back seat I can get.

Among other things, the overhead baggage is the last to fill, meaning most of the time if I shoot for a rear seat, I'll have the overhead baggage available.

Worst case, I'll be the last one to the scene of the crash...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
On the flight home I purposely selected the seat farthest back so I could wait for everyone else to fight to get off the plane ahead of me.

I do this for a living, and so travel very frequently. When I'm not driving, I look for the farthest back seat I can get.

Among other things, the overhead baggage is the last to fill, meaning most of the time if I shoot for a rear seat, I'll have the overhead baggage available.

Worst case, I'll be the last one to the scene of the crash...
My beef with the back of the plane seats is when somebody unloads their colon in the lavatory and a toxic cloud makes its way to the seating area. I had some horrible experiences in the 90s when airlines (I think MD-80s and 90s) rear of the plane had restrooms on one side of the aisle and seats on the other side of the aisle. Fortunately, I haven't seen a plane configuration like that in years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter much where the restroom is; what's important is where the outflow valve is located. When the airplane is pressurized, compressed air from the engines is cooled and pumped into the cabin. To maintain pressure, it's let out through variable valves called outflow valves. Air moves toward the outflow valves, so their location in relation to the lavatory determines whether the stink is headed toward you or away.

More modern airplanes are equipped with ventilation at the lav which is designed to move the scent away and to draw it from the lav area through vents to the outflow, to prevent the cabin from smelling that way.

I spend a lot of time at the back of the bus, and absolutely wouldn't if I were privy to the...privy.

I hate airline travel. I like car travel less, and when I travel it's never by choice, but because someone wants or needs me somewhere.

I'm able to bypass security and enter through the security exit, which eliminates a lot of the initial hassle in getting to the gate. I still hate airline travel, and don't blame anyone else who's less than enthused, either. Seats are uncomfortable, when I'm in back it's usually in economy and it's always a contest to see if my elbows still touch.

Nothing beats being jammed in the ass end of an A330 between two 350 lb arabs who haven't bathed in three days, in the summer.

To really appreciate what lavs used to be like, ride a freighter somewhere. There's disease floating around that science has yet to tag.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This might be a terminology misunderstanding.

Rob said "direct" flight, you are asking about "nonstop." These two terms do not necessarily mean the same thing.

All nonstop flights are direct, but the reverse is not true.

Some (all?) airlines use the term "direct" to designate a flight that goes from point A to point B without the need to change to a different airplane. There might or might not be intermediate stops, but you remain on the same plane.

No misunderstanding. Alaska has a daily nonstop in each direction BWI <-> SAN. Not sure how long the run has been around or if it’s seasonal, but they do for now.

-Rob

A=A