SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What Happened To The Amazon I Knew?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Happened To The Amazon I Knew? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Anyone who has attempted to contact Amazon for problem resolution knows how nearly impossible that task is.

I'm currently on business travel and wanted to check Amazon for a product I needed. Detecting that I was not at my home location, Amazon wants to verify that it's really me. After entering my id (which is my email address) and password, Amazon says they will send a verification code to my email.

For the past three hours and over a dozen attempts, I have yet to receive a verification email. I'm getting plenty of email from other sources, so I know my email program is not at fault.

So, there's a link to contact customer service. I'm in the middle of teaching a class, so I can't call, but I can send an email back to them. Did so, and received notice that I would get a response in 12-24 hours. WTF???

And how are they going to respond? With an email? Talk about circular reasoning.

Plus, now it appears Amazon has locked me out or forced a reset on my account, because my credentials are no longer being accepted.

When a PT boat grows up to become a battleship, this is the kind of top-heavy, stullifying bureaucrat-ese that makes doing business with battleships a pain in the ass!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Send an email to Jeff@amazon.com

He won't read it, of course, but there are problem resolution people assigned to take care of emails sent to that address.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent results with their online chat support, or their "call me" option if needed.

Can't really access the when you're locked out of account of course, but not sure that's a bug, maybe a feature? Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your spam folder in your email - it may have ended up there.

I'm working to get rid of EarthLink email - they have consistent problems with spam. I checked my "Known Spam" folder the other day, and found their monthly BILLING notice in there!! They filtered their OWN email (one that even has the EarthLink logo!).

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Check your spam folder in your email - it may have ended up there.

Checked. I do that all the time, anyway.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

He won't read it, of course, but there are problem resolution people assigned to take care of emails sent to that address.

Seriously? This is actually funny. But it makes sense. I'm going to give it a try.

I'm not able to call, since I'm teaching a class, but I have a few minutes while the students are working exercises to dash off an email...

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've also had very good luck with their online chat support with getting issues resolved. Of course, it was a BITCH to find out how to get to the chat option.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've got my "issues" with Amazon, but CS certainly isn't one of them.

This happened: Amazon's Definitely Going Downhill.

Then the batteries show up a week late, the packaging all torn up, with an apology from USPS.

I contact Amazon again, to volunteer to pay for the batteries--except the one that might have been damaged.

Turns out they'd already re-charged me. (Not certain what I think about that.) But, after hearing the condition in which the things arrived, not only re-refunded me, but added a $5 gift credit for my trouble.

So maybe Amazon shipping and CS has slid a bit, but it's still pretty good IMO.

(Nonetheless: We're still dropping Prime when the subscription is up.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Gotta say - I've always had exactly the opposite of a bad experience w/ Amazon CS. They even do things for me that I'm not asking for when there's a screw up (i.e., keep the extra product, here's some extra $$ credit for your trouble, let me upgrade the shipping for you, etc.).

I think they could probably do a little better job vetting their marketplace sellers, but they do respond to complaints about false or misleading product listings, so at least they're responsive to some of those unique issues as well.

Sorry you're having trouble.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Seriously? This is actually funny. But it makes sense. I'm going to give it a try.
Yup. Seriously. It has worked well for me a couple of times. Response came from somebody in U.S. based support, who had the brains to understand the problem and the horsepower to get it solved.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Anyone who has attempted to contact Amazon for problem resolution knows how nearly impossible that task is.

I'm currently on business travel and wanted to check Amazon for a product I needed. Detecting that I was not at my home location, Amazon wants to verify that it's really me. After entering my id (which is my email address) and password, Amazon says they will send a verification code to my email.

For the past three hours and over a dozen attempts, I have yet to receive a verification email. I'm getting plenty of email from other sources, so I know my email program is not at fault.

So, there's a link to contact customer service. I'm in the middle of teaching a class, so I can't call, but I can send an email back to them. Did so, and received notice that I would get a response in 12-24 hours. WTF???

And how are they going to respond? With an email? Talk about circular reasoning.

Plus, now it appears Amazon has locked me out or forced a reset on my account, because my credentials are no longer being accepted.

When a PT boat grows up to become a battleship, this is the kind of top-heavy, stullifying bureaucrat-ese that makes doing business with battleships a pain in the ass!

I get the frustration. This sort of verification process seems to be happening with many websites and it's horrible if they have an old email in their records. I'm not sure if it's the fault of the company or a necessary reaction to the fraud from thieves that hack into accounts at Amazon or other retailers.

Really makes it a hassle for honest people.

Hope it gets worked out quickly.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've had excellent results with their online chat support

I did that last night and some Indian woman with a name I couldn't begin to pronounce was trying to help me. It was late, I was pissed, so I logged off before she started "chatting". When I got on this morning the messages were still there, with a resolution, asking me if this was acceptable.

(I actually need to go back and straighten it out. Saturday I ordered an auto part. There was only one option that could get here by Tuesday. Regular Prime was all Wednesday. That one option is a crappier brand/part ($10 whole bucks, but I needed it quick. Local stores want $84 with tax. Eek ) So I buy the crappy one and pay another $8-9-$10 for one day shipping. Monday night I get an email saying it's shipped and will be here Wednesday! (Sat to wed= one day?)
I'm pissed about the wasted one day shipping, pissed about the Wed delivery. So I used the chat feature and they said they'd refund the shipping. And what happens? It shows up on Tuesday anyway. ) Roll Eyes

ETA: They hadn't refunded the one day shipping, so I told them it had arrived and there was no need. "Anirban" helped me this time. lol

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Monday I ordered 4 shocks for my suburban. A matched pair for the front, and a matched pair for the rear. All of them were Prime, and should have been here today. The mail truck pulled up just now and dropped off one shock. Not a pair. One.

Concerned that I'd somehow fouled up the order, I went and checked. It shows the other front shock arriving tomorrow by 8pm, and the two for the rear on Friday.

WTF Amazon? I could have had the job done today, but now it's going to have to wait until Saturday because I'm working the next two days. I specifically ordered from Amazon instead of RockAuto because I wanted the parts today, and Prime "guaranteed" they would be here. I should have just stuck with RockAuto...I'd probably have them all by now and would have saved a few bucks, too.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of boots. They were too small. I called, repacked, dropped them off at UPS store. I got my refund before they ever got the boots back. Pretty good CS that time.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post