SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A guy wants to buy my land..after I had the basement walls poured
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A guy wants to buy my land..after I had the basement walls poured Login/Join 
posted
So, I look at the mail today, that is a rare occasion. I find a letter, hand addressed to me and Mrs. aquabird. I read it and he says he lives around the corner from where I have owned a property since the mid 80s. He said he wanted to know if we would be willing to sell it.
In early June I had 300 tons of topsoil delivered to that property. It sat there until the first of July when I had a septic system installed. Part of the systems in this county have to sit up slightly above the rest of your property, so it is very easily seen.
For the last two weeks, the basement has been dug and for a week, the basement walls have been up. Yet, I get a letter asking to buy the place?

It does not make me angry but it does remind me of the guy who offered to buy it a while back and then had my pole barn robbed. Then he came to my house and gave me the same lowball offer at my house. He could not have had my pole barn built for what he offered for that and my 7.5 acres, that has 4 acres of woods.
I am just glad this guy did not throw some crazy offer my way.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I thought my offer of $1,000 an acre fair in its current condition.

Of course if you prefer cash, best I can do is $500 an acre. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the guy who helped rob me did offer more than that, but he offered about what it would have cost to build a 42x60 Morton building with an 8x12 addition, 11 ft sidewalls, an 11 ft. slide door and two over head doors and two walk thru doors completely insulated with concrete in and out and fully wired with lights and sky lights(that do not leak).
I have about 25 trees, on the property, that are not part of the woods, most pine, but 2 hickory and 1 black walnut.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, if the amount he's willing to offer is enough to cover the cost of the land, plus any money you've already spent on the septic, topsoil, and basement, then you could still come out the same as if you'd sold before any of the work started...

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Did the guy tour your Barn? If he did I would have let the police know that he had been through it. Otherwise it was probably a coincidence.

It sounds like you are putting down roots so just tell him on thanks!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
To me everything's for sale it's just a matter of how much.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, he walked right past me and went right in. I was not happy with that when it happened. I told the sheriffs when they came, but they blew it off.
About 6 months later, the guy shows up at my house. I walked out of my garage and he walked right by me and went into my garage. He says you remember we had talked about you selling me your property for x dollars? I said leave now or I will call the police and do not come back.
I went into the house and called the sheriffs office from the next county, where a similar burglary had just taken place. A detective called and we met. About 7 days later arrests were made. That guy was not arrested. I figure he squealed on the others.

Yeah, if the guy who wrote me paid what I wanted, but at this point in my building process, it seems unlikely I would sell.
My son wanted to buy it about 5 years ago.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just make it worth your while.
If the price is right ........
Otherwise don't sweat it and go about your business.
You can't blame someone who makes an offer .... as you can accept or reject it.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked with a loan officer that has been " in the buisness " for 33 years.

He said that people are spending money on homes and home improvements like crazy.

They are spending their savings and borrowing handfuls as well.
But they are also experiancing
many scams, frauds and deals falling through.

The thieves and con artists are taking advantage during the currant uptick in housing market.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm in Ohio as well and in my small town residential real estate is a seller's market right now. So the time is right if you want to "high ball" the guy offering. But make it high enough you walk away happy because it could happen.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My mother had something similar happen. She tossed out a number that is as Krazee described; high enough where she walked away smiling, not crazy high since it's rare to have someone making an unsolicited offer.

If it's going to be an issue with your son I'd suggested letting it go. If not, figure out what it's worth to you and see what happens.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12400 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I talked with a loan officer that has been " in the buisness " for 33 years.

He said that people are spending money on homes and home improvements like crazy.

quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I'm in Ohio as well and in my small town residential real estate is a seller's market right now.

Thanks to the lowest interest rates in modern history.

So yeah, this is the time to "high ball" (within reason) a potential buyer, especially since you don't need to sell. They're probably willing to go higher in price than usual, thanks to the offsetting lower interest rate. The worst they can say is no, and then you just keep on building your house. But it may surprise you, and justify taking the money and running.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post