SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hotel room on the intersection, and traffic noise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel room on the intersection, and traffic noise Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I did a little traveling for work recently, involving some overnight.

Rant 1: gotta make travel reservations through the employer's system. Well, I sorta get this, as it's likely the company has negotiated better rates than I could get on my own. Fine.

Filled out the forms, got the confirmation, hit the road. Got to the hotel... no reservation. Grrr. Thanks for nothing, corporate travel service! Ehh... this problem is easily solved.

Rant 2: Picture it: the Dinkytown Hotel is right on an intersection, on a hill, within a valley. The room is at the end of the hall, adjacent to said four-way-stop intersection.

It seems that every-stinking-body leaving this intersection has "big fat duals," or a flippin' hole in their exhaust, plus a right foot that must weigh about 20 pounds.

Everyone tearing away from the intersection like his or her butt is on fire is one thing, but with Dinkytown's placement in a valley between two steep hills, every bit of the leadfoot noise is reflected right back into the area.

And then there's the V-twin club rolling through....

Not much sleep to be had, for sure.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You're telling me that you're a shooter, and yet you don't have even one set of foam earplugs laying around in your car or luggage? Wink

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good point, sir. I should have gone "glovebox fishing." Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You're telling me that you're a shooter, and yet you don't have even one set of foam earplugs laying around in your car or luggage? Wink

I never get tired of that picture and the look on his face.

Posts: 3716 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
And being at the bottom of a grade, there are also the "Jake brakes" on trucks. All that's missing is a giant neon sign flashing through your window, undeterred by the thin curtains.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my company tried to make us use the travel system to do all the reservations.

After getting $%^&ed on hotels twice, I was done with it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I usually find that there is more annoying noise coming from inside the motel/hotel than from outside.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's where you get to know people in your company who's been there and ask them the better hotels to ask to be booked into.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I usually find that there is more annoying noise coming from inside the motel/hotel than from outside.

Very true... that was the case on the last trip.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
That's where you get to know people in your company who's been there and ask them the better hotels to ask to be booked into.

Haha... this was the recommended place! Big Grin

God bless America.

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Most "corporate travel" agencies can be worked with. I live 10 miles from an international airport, but when my (new to me) travel agency tried to book me through an airport nearly two hours' drive away, I flat-out refused. "The airfares are cheaper there," I was told.

"My time is of value, too," I replied. "You're asking me to drive fifty miles and two cities out of my way to save a few dollars on airfare? I'm not doing it."

I stood my ground and from then on, they booked me out of the local airport.

My point is, that you should be able to set preferences with the travel agency: No upper floors, close to/away from elevators, etc. That you had no reservation waiting for you suggests a call to whoever in your company contracts with the travel agency...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
First thing I do when entering a hotel room is crank up the blower on the HVAC unit to Max. Covers most sounds decently well and provides good white noise for sleeping.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"I ain't slept in five days." --- Vinny Gambini

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I hated having to deal with the corporate travel system. We got away with making our own reservations for a while, but then they caught on and started denying any expense report items that hadn't been booked through them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"I ain't slept in five days." --- Vinny Gambini

Are you on drugs?

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Flonase. Why do you ask?

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White noise machines are inexpensive and mask traffic noise very well. They are portable. The worst place I got stuck was the corner of Bourbon and Canal in New Orleans. Trombone and trumpet playing at three am. The room came with earplugs and shades. Still was not enough protection.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
My point is, that you should be able to set preferences with the travel agency: No upper floors, close to/away from elevators, etc. That you had no reservation waiting for you suggests a call to whoever in your company contracts with the travel agency...

Yes, I'm really not sure what happened with the reservation situation.
Heck, the required form had fields for inputting the hotel name, location, and phone number.
Why the reservation wasn't actually made, I don't know. I'll try to get time this week to find out who to call about that one.
It wasn't a big deal, really, as the hotel had vacancies when we arrived. But it does sort of make the negative side of me wonder why I bothered to do the travel request in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
White noise machines

Any particular model you like?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

quote:
White noise machines

I have a cell phone app called Sleep Sounds. I can let it run all night or set a timer. 15 different sound choices that can be customized, if you want.

Posts: 880 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ear plugs and an eye mask ride in my travel kit. Noise cancelling headphones as well.

The noise cancelling headphones work better for trying to sleep. There's a tiny little bit of white noise in the noise cancelling that helps to mask the very faint ringing in the ears when everything is silent.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Yes, I'm really not sure what happened with the reservation situation.
Heck, the required form had fields for inputting the hotel name, location, and phone number.
Why the reservation wasn't actually made, I don't know. I'll try to get time this week to find out who to call about that one.
It wasn't a big deal, really, as the hotel had vacancies when we arrived. But it does sort of make the negative side of me wonder why I bothered to do the travel request in the first place.

quote:
White noise machines

Paid $20-25 for this. Ot goes on sale every now and then. It is the best.

Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Sound Machine with 20 Unique Non-Looping Fan and White Noise Sounds and Sleep Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M..._apa_i_0BXZCb4B3Y8QQ

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post