SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I know the housing market has been on fire lately but OMG my real estate assessment...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I know the housing market has been on fire lately but OMG my real estate assessment... Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Just got my real estate assessment from our county board of equalization. It shows a <GASP> whopping 15.17% increase over last year!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume the next step is a 15 percent increase in your property taxes. Be aware that these increases can be successfully defeated.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I assume the next step is a 15 percent increase in your property taxes. Be aware that these increases can be successfully defeated.

Yeah I know my taxes will be hit. No State Income Tax so property taxes are higher here. Not so easily fought in these parts.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ll remember Howard Jarvis, who drove Prop 13, in my prayers tonight.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Trade ya, my property tax went up 47% for this year. I was “lucky” though as some folks in my county took a 52% hit.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Trade ya, my property tax went up 47% for this year. I was “lucky” though as some folks in my county took a 52% hit.

My buddy up the street just told me his went up 24.87%.

This shit is insane!

I was successful back in 2017 beating an increase but it was a long and difficult struggle. This one appears much more challenging. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
This is one of the ways hyperinflation destroys the middle class.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
An almost 12% increase here on my end of the State.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in South Florida, my real estate taxes and Insurance have gone up 10-20% every single year for the past 3-4 years.....it SUCKS as the local government just squanders the additional tax dollars.......they do a nice pavered sidewalk for miles......then a year later tear it up to replace sewage lines.......then put another new sidewalk.......then etc. It's like every road in South Florida is in a constant state of construction.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
it SUCKS as the local government just squanders the additional tax dollars.......they do a nice pavered sidewalk for miles......then a year later tear it up to replace sewage lines.......then put another new sidewalk.......then etc.

Sounds like a previous city I lived in. Kept raising property taxes and spending millions on bullshit cosmetic projects like tearing up pavement streets to replace them with cobblestone streets or tearing out concrete street dividers to replace them with curbed soil dividers so they can plant trees down the middle, meanwhile cutting their police and fire budgets due to "lack of funds", and then using the resulting "public safety budget needs" as an excuse to raise property taxes again.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mine went up a hair under 5% here in Arizona.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Ours went up 30%. Add increases in fuel and food costs and our discretionary funds are taking a pretty good hit compared to a year ago. I'm glad that we planned for a financially stable retirement. I feel sorry for the ones that didn't.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
In Florida we are capped on assessed value for primary residence/homestead property - think 1.9% each year, could change in future years. Local government can then also alter millage rates - have seen my property tax go up by 25% over last 6 years. However, our hurricane insurance policies have been going through the roof - ours doubled a few years ago and keeps going up. Eventually they get you and you have to move or accept a ridiculous tax+insurance bill.

What gets me on the insurance is we have every wind mitigation in place, house was rebuilt in 2010 and is design to 165 mph+ (Concrete roof, walls, etc) and we raised the property above any storm surge. None of it matters, they have free reign to keep raising the price. Eventually will have no choice but to forgo / self insure.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Roof claims in FL are driving the price of insurance up, the leading push, John Morgan, who owns roofclaim.com, using that as a lead generator for one of the biggest roofing companies in the south Jasper.

Roofclaim.com was a bowl sponsor and the bowl came under fire for helping one of the largest civil suit attorney firms.

One of the big reasons your premiums are skyrocketing.

Why Insurance rates in FL are going up

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Our house has supposedly increased from 192k when we bought in 2002 to 520k today and that is not factoring in the finished basement I just completed.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Our house has supposedly increased from 192k when we bought in 2002 to 520k today and that is not factoring in the finished basement I just completed.

That's a really nice gain in equity ! Congrats.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first house in NH my property tax bill was $997. When I moved out of NH in 2015 my taxes on the same house were $5900.

And I had zip to show for it. Taj Mahal schools built and then partially closed due to declining enrollments.

The teachers union dominated the town council and whatever they wanted, no matter how unnecessary or outrageous, always passed.

So glad I don’t live in that town any longer.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Lumber costs are double (triple or more in some cases) over last year so building has slowed. Everyone jumped to pre-existing and that’s pushed the prices there through the roof. Localities have been salivating over new assessments.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I hate to defend county property appraisers, but here goes: property appraisals reflect real-time markets. Our tax problem is with the city/county elected officials who set the budget and then say "I didn't raise your taxes! The appraisal went up." Bullshit. Piss on my foot and tell me it's raining. They get more $$ to hire more employees who are loyal to them politically. And raise pay and ok higher medical insurance and raise retirement and on and on. Win-win for them. County property assessors may be the most corrupt city/county office but they don't raise your taxes: your commissioners/councilmen do.

Don't get me started on Matt Gaetz's pot-daddy John Morgan!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yeah I know my taxes will be hit. No State Income Tax so property taxes are higher here. Not so easily fought in these parts.

This isn't always the case... Our town had a reassessment where the average property value went up by around 17%. Because the town can't collect more than the approved budget calls for, the mil rate decreased by that 17%.

For property owners whose property value increased by less than the 17% average, the tax burden decreased. I was one of them, as my property had an out of cycle assessment so this time my property increased by an addition 6% and I had a lower tax bill this year compared to last.

Yes, some people absolutely got screwed, but it really should have evened out the values to reflect current conditions.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post