SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    There's nothing more expensive than a free (fill in the blank)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There's nothing more expensive than a free (fill in the blank) Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I've heard it said (and believe it) about horses, dogs and cars, now I suspect I've got another one to add to the list:

Went to see an acquaintance about renting a little lathe time from him. I've got a project going that's too much for my little bench top rig.

He pointed to about 6 different lathes and said "You're welcome to use any of these, or for $50, you can take this one home with you."

So, after nearly spraining my wrist reaching for my wallet, I lugged home a Seneca Falls Star 30 thread cutting lathe. It had been jury-rigged to be used as a wood lathe, but all the important parts are there.

Spent the afternoon cleaning, lubing and inspecting and only found one issue, a missing feed screw nut on the compound. Probably have to make one, I sincerely doubt parts are going to pop up for a lathe that's easily 100 years old and quite possibly older.

I disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled the 3 jaw chuck and fired it up. Chucked up a piece of round stock and it's not running true so need to indicate the chuck and see if it's the chuck, the jaws or the spindle bearing.

It's been converted from line shaft drive to a motor, which is fairly common, but it's running WAY too fast, so I'll need to re-think the pulleys on the motor too.

A steady rest would be nice, and a turret-type tool holder and...

Hear that whooshing sound? That's twenty dollar bills being sucked out of my wallet.

BTW, there are 9 ways to reassemble a 3 jaw chuck. 8 of them are wrong.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Boat

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Boat

For sure. Fortunately I have exactly ZERO interest in boats.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
lay

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First one's free.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ADVICE. Members of SigForum excluded.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Check-up.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Financing.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Roof inspection

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I thought of puppy, kitten, motor, and engine in that order.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Microwave.

BIL gave the wife a microwave (this was in the 80's). Wouldn't fit between the upper cabinets and counter top. This led to a call to my cabinet shop. That led to a call to a remodeling contractor. Added a room for the new kitchen; $30,000. But they were happy. Very happy.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I waited 10 years
for this
posted Hide Post
I agree with horses, and boats. Both are so much cheaper to buy time on

Posts: 133 | Location: nebraska | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oil change.

For two reasons:

1) Places offering free oil changes will have their newest, dumbest shop monkey doing the work, resulting in problems like over/under-fill, stripped drain plugs, incorrect weight oil, loose filters, etc.

2) The free oil change is designed to suck you in so they can hit you up for expensive recommended services and unnecessary repairs for made-up problems.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horse - The gift that just keeps on giving.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once was given a free VW Bug.
It wasn't.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Mountain bike.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Man. Last "Free dog" I rescued. Was a super sweat male Rottie. But between the worms & Heart worms. Treating the heartworms damn near killed him. Cost me probably $7K by the end of it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
...government benefit.

Happy Election Day. God help us.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the horse. We are down to two. My wife says that they keep me busy in various ways. She is retired from farrier work, but they keep her busy with trims though. No shoes anymore, so Easyboots, but that still requires trimming.
She has to help when we get hay also.
Now Vet bills!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post