SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    RV Gas Filler Location? Another engineering winner.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RV Gas Filler Location? Another engineering winner. Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
The Thor Quantum WS31 motorhome uses a Ford E450 chassis. On the dash, the indicator for cap side is pointing to the driver side. Nope.

So, new rental RV driver 4MUL8R has to now back up and reposition 32 feet of RV to the wife's side. Yes, 4MUL8R studied the RV thoroughly before driving it, but forgot the location after four hours of fighting the wind and rain on I95. The dash indicator triangle is fact, right?

And, since the filler cap is no where to be seen in the mirror, 4MUL8R gets to pull forward, check, pull forward, check, and then stop. This puts the RV nearly into a parking spot at the front of the gas station, nearly blocking cross traffic.

4MUL8R believes all RV gas caps should be on the vehicle centerline, with modern sealed flapper door swinging upward to block rain. The fuel tank should be located on the vehicle centerline, with black and grey tanks on either side.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That's just the beginning of the RV adventure. Wait until Apple maps has you turn down a road with a sign that says 8'6" clearance and your RV is 11'6" tall. Good times!

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Wait until Apple maps has you turn down a road with a sign that says 8'6" clearance and your RV is 11'6" tall.
You don't have to worry about that clearance sign if there are no cops around.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
With enough speed, RV's self adjust to low clearance bridges.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's just the beginning of the RV adventure. Wait until Apple maps has you turn down a road with a sign that says 8'6" clearance and your RV is 11'6" tall. Good times!

Go to 11 ft 8 .com its a train bridge in NC, tons of laughs

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In my case, it wasn't a bridge, but rather the entire road. It was a "Scenic Route" that was the most direct route to Gamble Rogers State Park. The good/bad news was after Hurricane Matthew, the trees were trimmed way back and I only had to swing into on coming traffic twice around blind corners to avoid low hanging branches.

Getting gas in the Keys this Thanksgiving with the boat was another experience. Super Cab long bed truck and 26' boat (28' w/swim platform over the outdrive) on trailer, so probably 32' overall boat and trailer. Most stations are laid out to handle this. One Exxon at the north end of Marathon had Rec gas and the pump was accessible. Of course I pull in fill the truck at the diesel pump, pull forward to fill the boat, but the fill for the boat is on the opposite side. Fun times!

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If I had a large trailer or RV I would look into Truckers style GPS system. While not perfect I'm sure, I understand they do try to avoid putting you on roads and in places you don't fit or should avoid.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By my calculations, I can rent a luxury car and stay in hotels for less than an RV, and avoid the aggravation. It reminds me of the old Lucy movie, "The Long, Long Trailer."

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
By my calculations, I can rent a luxury car and stay in hotels for less than an RV, and avoid the aggravation. It reminds me of the old Lucy movie, "The Long, Long Trailer."

You could.

Two of the waterfront campsites below were $40 a night. The one in the Keys icluded a slip for my boat. The other waterfront sight was $90 a night and Cedar Point was $85 a night. There are five of us, so we would get a suite. Suites at Cedar Point are $300 a night plus.

I carry 5 bicycles, 4 bicycles, 3 children, 3 boogie boards, assorted sporting equipment and a hamster.

Every night, I sleep in my bed. Every day, I use my towels, bathroom, remote control. Every morning, I cook pancakes or bacon and eggs on my griddle.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Was that second picture from Geiger Key?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I should have put captions.

1. Gamble Rogers State Park on the Atlantic Ocean, FL
2. Grassy Key RV Resort on Florida Bay, Marathon, FL
3. Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky, OH
4. Bahia Honda State Park, Atlantic Ocean to the left, Florida bay to the right, Bahia Honda Key, FL

It took us 4 years to get a spot in Bahia Honda. It was fantastic and we had our boat as well. Went snorkeling at Looe Key.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

You could.

Two of the waterfront campsites below were $40 a night. The one in the Keys icluded a slip for my boat. The other waterfront sight was $90 a night and Cedar Point was $85 a night. There are five of us, so we would get a suite. Suites at Cedar Point are $300 a night plus.

I carry 5 bicycles, 4 bicycles, 3 children, 3 boogie boards, assorted sporting equipment and a hamster.

Every night, I sleep in my bed. Every day, I use my towels, bathroom, remote control. Every morning, I cook pancakes or bacon and eggs on my griddle.

Great pictures.....I'd love an RV so I could travel the country but they are way out of my budget.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The main reason for the RV rental was to experience the peace of my own stuff, as Trapper189 has elucidated. As I was packing the Class C, I felt an unexpected sense of relief, that I would soon enjoy the peace wherever I was. The dog, the equipment, the sheets, the towels, the security (no maids), and the excellent locations all appealed to me. We found ourselves enjoying the RV life, but likely would choose a different equipment package if we purchase one.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
4MUL8R,

The Thor coaches are set up in a weird way. I had a Fleetwood Discovery diesel pusher that was an absolute joy. Gas fill caps were on BOTH sides so it could be filled simultaneously at truck stops!

I don't think you'll find a separate black/gray water dump as most of the time they set up dump stations and camping sites to be emptied on the "driver's" side of the RV.

Trapper makes excellent points about having your own "home" on the road. I always found it enjoyable to have the toys around me I wanted.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post