SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Streaming Device Support/Compatibility: Enough Is Enough!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streaming Device Support/Compatibility: Enough Is Enough! Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Back-story, as succinctly as possible: I'm trying to set up a system whereby a single box receives multiple over-the-air (OTA) TV stations. That box will then stream them onto my LAN. Then a streaming device on each of the four TVs.

Same thing's happened this time as Every. Other. Time I've tried it: A device is compatible with this, and that, but not that other thing. Try another device. Same thing. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Now I found a device, called MiBox, that's cost-effective, will support the streaming source I want to use (Silicon Dust HD HomeRun), has the digital audio output I need for the main setup in the family room, supports IR remotes. Everything...

...except no Amazon Prime app!

What the hell?!?! The Amazon Fire Sticks use Android TV for their base operating system.

Just got off the phone with Amazon. Told them, straight up: "You need to fix this. If it's not fixed by the time our membership is up for renewal in a year: Amazon Prime will be history here."

I've dropped One America News Network a note, asking them about an Android TV app, as well. And I'll be telling them the same thing: No Android TV support: Buh bye.

I'm done trying to chase incompatibilities and lack of support.

As an aside: I'm not real happy going with Android TV. I'd just all but gotten Alphabet/Google/Android out of our lives completely. But Roku doesn't support the streaming source I want to use, Fire devices have no digital audio outputs, Apple TV Gen. 4 has no digital audio out (plus they're spendy), and Apple TV Gen. 3 devices don't have loadable apps and don't support OAN. (See what I mean about "chasing incompatibilities?)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plex works very well with HDHR & OTA- even get a DVR.
Plex is also very good with FireTV. You'll need a separate server device, but that can be as little as a Raspberry PI (make sure you look at what transcoding you need to do with the OTA stuff). Build a server, rip movies onto it & enjoy the 100x better interface than dealing with disks.

Waiting for silicon dust to get their app working is not smart. THey do hardware, not software. Even the apps that work suck.

You can probably also side-load any Android app onto the MiBox - isn't that one of the ones that gets all the pirate channels? Probably why Amazon doesn't rush to support it...

I use FireTV/sticks on 4 TVs w/Plex, SlingTV & a little bit of Prime streaming. 1 input, 1 remote. My antenna got struck by lightning so I'm not using it much right now, but it still picks up the local station.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Plex works very well with HDHR & OTA- even get a DVR.
Plex is also very good with FireTV. You'll need a separate server device, but that can be as little as a Raspberry PI ...

Thanks for the ideas. I'll save them in case my current plan falls apart. That current plan being HDHR + MiBox' + WD NAS + HDHR DVRing service.

quote:
Waiting for silicon dust to get their app working is not smart. THey do hardware, not software. Even the apps that work suck.

The apps that aren't working, on my MiBox, which is an Android TV box, are Amazon Prime Video and OANN. They're not working because they're not available. They should be, however.

If they do not become available, I'll dump them both. (OANN has yet to respond to my polite inquiry, I would note.)

quote:
You can probably also side-load any Android app onto the MiBox -

Could have, at one time. Amazon "fixed" that "problem." It didn't work very well, anyway.

quote:
isn't that one of the ones that gets all the pirate channels? Probably why Amazon doesn't rush to support it...

Dunno, but it's Android TV, which is why Amazon's not supporting it.

That's a battle they'll lose with me. More than just video, too. I see Walmart's launched a free two-day home delivery initiative. That's where I got my MiBox, btw.

In fact I think I'll head on over to walmart.com and sign up...

ETA: Just posted a highly-critical review of Prime Video and the value of AP at Amazon. Let's see if they post it Wink

ETA2: Ha! They did Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post