SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS Lying about Undelivered Item
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS Lying about Undelivered Item Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
So I ordered a couple of clamps off of Amazon this week to mount some breaching tools in the cargo area of my new squad car. They were supposed to to arrive today (my day off), and I was hoping to get everything rigged up and installed.

I saw the mail truck pull up to the mailbox, put stuff inside, and then drive off. When I went down to the mailbox, there was some junk mail, but no clamps. 2 hours later, I get a notice that says "USPS wasn't able to enter your building to deliver your package."

What utter BS. I saw them drive up, stop at the mailbox, then drive away. They never made any attempt to approach the house. The driveway was clear, there's no vicious dog out front...and there's no "building" they need to gain access to. It's a residential dwelling, and they commonly leave packages on the front porch. Today they simply didn't try.

I guess it pissed me off even more that they are now essentially blaming their laziness on me, by saying that I somehow denied them access to "my building". I'd be less annoyed if they just sent me a message that said "Sorry, we suck at our job and are too lazy/incompetent to successfully complete the one task we are paid to do." At least it would be honest.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I'm not shocked by your experience. Things are different these days with USPS and I don't know why. Never had a problem with USPS delivering packages until about a year ago. Now days, it's hit or miss if the packages are delivered. Most times, if I expect a package I need to go out when they drive down the street and check with them personally. Some common issues ...

1) They delivered, but to the wrong address. Apparently they can call in to their supervisor for geo-positional data to determine where they left my package, if there is tracking data for the package.

2) Was expecting a package and when not delivered, I stopped the truck at my next door neighbor's mailbox. Mail person stated they didn't have a package for me but if there was a delivery error, maybe it was the small package they left a couple of houses back. I checked where the small package was left. It wasn't mine. I DID FIND MY PACKAGE ... in my next door neighbor's mailbox. The mail person had JUST stuffed my package in my next door neighbor's mailbox when I stopped them to ask about my package.

3) Several times I've expected a package and found the package was still on the mail truck after it had passed my house. The mail person always explains they would have realized the omission and corrected it before the end of their route.

Thankfully a package hasn't actually been lost ... yet, but sometimes it's frustrating to actually get the package.

My mailbox is in virtually pristine condition and within USPS standards for location and mounting. The reflective numbers on my mailbox are the largest of any box on the street. Additionally, when the mailbox door is opened, right on the lip of the bottom of the box is a tape strip with my name on it, which they see every time they open the mailbox. Don't know what else I can do.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Happened today to me as well. Got my mail as usual. Waiting on a package from OLight. Nothing. At 8pm, tracking shows USPS was unable to access delivery area. Whatever that means.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Has happened twice to me, at least, both times they left it the next day. Roll Eyes

Pure BS.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I really don't understand why you guys are experiencing such shitty situations. I will admit I've made the occasional misdelivery and there are certainly places I'd rather not deliver to but I have never not attempted to deliver a package to someone. It's more work to not deliver a package. I don't know why someone would do that to themself and also incur the wrath of the customer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Clearly, Orguss, you should be our mailman. Wink

Time for you to move. Dibs.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We've been fortunate both here and our previous residence. Both places we have had excellent service.

Infrequently at our old residence we received packages but with the changes in how we buy now Amazon deliveries are pretty frequent today. Never once have we had a problem with a misdelivered USPS package, not the same with UPS. Our mail delivery people whether the regular or the subs deliver it to the front porch and make sure it is out of the weather.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My townhouse complex has quite a few buildings. My mail has been delivered to most of them and quite frequently I get mail from other buildings and residents. And each building has its own street number. No duplicates.
So.... the question I have is this: Dont you have to read the address printed on the mail in order to ensure it gets into the right mailbox or the package to the right porch? How is it even possible to deliver my mail to another address, in another building, a half mile away?
If my package went to another porch on my building or my mail into my next door neighbors mailbox, I am OK with a minor oopsie. But half a mile away?
Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I really don't understand why you guys are experiencing such shitty situations. I will admit I've made the occasional misdelivery and there are certainly places I'd rather not deliver to but I have never not attempted to deliver a package to someone. It's more work to not deliver a package. I don't know why someone would do that to themself and also incur the wrath of the customer.

One of the things I've learned as an adult is that there is no shortage of people who will work much harder getting out of work than they would have worked doing the task in the first place. It doesn't make sense to me, but sometimes it feels like I'm in the minority there.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had something like that happen once, a couple years ago. It was surprising, too, because our two normal mail carriers are really good.

Called and talked to the Postmaster. Told her "I was sitting right here. Watched the truck stop, deliver mail, and go on. There were no other USPS trucks today." I surmised they simply forgot or missed my package, and, rather than note it that way, tried to explain it as "could not." She said it'd be brought up in the next meeting with all the carriers.

It only happened the one time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've learned to expect that if it's from Amazon and coming USPS (which is getting rarer in my area), it will show as "delivered" three days before it actually arrives. Gotta keep those statistics correct, ya know.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time. And not just USPS. I understand all these guys have too much to deliver so there are delays. I understand stuff gets sorted wrong. I get it. It's the lying that gets me. The bald faced stupid lies that even a 6 year old wouldn't tell. My favorite recent lie was when a carrier claimed he delivered a package and I signed for it. Nope. Packages get signed for by my receptionist. I'm not the receptionist. I don't sign for packages. Nice try dummy. Want me to check the security log and video to see if you made it inside the building? C'mon. Be lazy but be smart about it.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had damn good mail delivery person, until a few weeks ago. He was so good he would return to the Post office early and then be assigned to help a delivery twit who couldn't find his ass with both hands.

He asked to be assigned to a longer route.

We now get rookies.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Did ya happen to get the number on that truck?

Wink

I might find an a reason to pull that mail truck over.. Razz

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I got messages twice in a row saying they couldn't deliver because of adverse road conditions. It had rained.

I live on paved roads all the way to my garage and they couldn't deliver because - it rained.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Did ya happen to get the number on that truck?

Wink

I might find an a reason to pull that mail truck over.. Razz

Big Grin I work nights...I don't know as I've ever seen a mail truck other than a long-haul semi out and about when I'm at work. Not to mention, it's no smarter to piss off your mail guy than it is to piss off the guy making your food Eek!

As others have stated in this thread, my regular mail lady is really good. I haven't seen her in a few weeks, so I'm not sure if she's on vacation or quit or what. I'm hoping this new guy isn't the new normal.

Clamps came today and the tools are now mounted in the back of my car...we'll see how it holds up.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same issue. Contact Amazon every time.
They just lie to keep the stats up. Every other time the "postman" is unable to close the mailbox door. Very busy street. I took the box down and someone delivered the ads to the door and rubber banded them to the handle.
I am thinking about just taking the box down and leaving it down.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My carrier(s) here are beyond useless. More than once I have received a yellow slip saying I have a parcel or certified mail that I can pick up "tomorrow" because no one was home, in every instance I was home and the lazy assholes just did not want to walk to my front door.

That God for informed delivery, now I can see, in advance what is coming and it is is something i need to sign for I will go intercept the delivery guy at the box.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The USPS and Amazon interface is horrible. As an example, if USPS scans a package "delivered to mailbox", Amazon sends a text to the customer, "package left with recipient". And customers panic when they aren't home.

Amazon hires a lot of contract drivers now, and USPS does not deliver many of their packages anymore. A few, but not many. They have a high turnover rate, and their accuracy is questionable. I don't recall seeing USPS scan ""USPS wasn't able to enter your building to deliver your package."

The link below shows all the options given to a USPS carrier for scanning all packages. USPS scanners use GPS and are up to the minute, and will tell exactly where the package was scanned regardless of when/where/if it was delivered. You can call the PO and ask for delivery details. Even where/why it was scanned two hours later as "undeliverable".

https://mailomg.com/2018/09/19...odes-what-they-mean/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
My carrier(s) here are beyond useless. More than once I have received a yellow slip saying I have a parcel or certified mail that I can pick up "tomorrow" because no one was home, in every instance I was home and the lazy assholes just did not want to walk to my front door.

That God for informed delivery, now I can see, in advance what is coming and it is is something i need to sign for I will go intercept the delivery guy at the box.

USPS doesn't use yellow slips

USPS typically gets the blame. USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL, weird off brand contract carriers. Any time someone has an issue, they expect me to take care of it. Sorry, you need to call the shipping company, I legally can not touch it. I've had packages sitting for months at vacant houses. Packages delivered to the wrong address. The customer needs to contact the carrier that dropped it off at the wrong delivery point.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post