SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Don't know if I should be mad?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't know if I should be mad? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Today I had to jack up my truck to adjust the rear drum brakes that won't self adjust. While working, I noticed the tires I had bought in January 2014 were dry rotting in the treads and starting to separate. They are Michelins with a 6 year and 70,000 mile warranty. So they are almost on the truck for 2 1/2 years and have 25,000 miles on them. I drove to Costco and the tire guy came out and said that it was normal. I argued the point as in my research it was recommended not to drive on the tires and have them replaced immediately. For the 4 new tires the price came to $859.00, and I was charged $303 for them. While I know that I did get the use of them for 2 1/2 years, they were supposed to be good for 6 years. I'm okay with paying, but part of me thinks that I should have gotten the 6 years out of them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Were these on a DeLorean? There seems to be one year that is not accounted for.

If the tires were mounted January 2014, as stated, and you noticed the problem in June 2017, also as stated, you got three and a half years, not two and a half.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I hate math, you are correct, I did get 3 1/2 years. That's close to 7K miles a year.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I get to see a lot of tires, and I see more early "dry-rot" on Michelins than average. Also, 7000 miles a year? Does it spend a lot of time sitting around? That seems to accelerate dry-rot faster than driving on them every day. You see this a lot with RV tires.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But when were they made? Tires do have a service life, even if not being used. Sounds like you got tires that had sat around for awhile.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I usually get very good life on tires, but I also have noticed Michelins dry-rotting more of late.
Having the cracking problem with my 4wd diesel truck-

This set of tires has 30k. About six years old. Generally I armor-all frequently. Didn't seem to make much difference in this case. Vehicle is usually garaged.

In the past I have reached 60k with Michelins on mostly Volvos, and that was down South in the sun by the beach. Did well with Coopers on Land Rovers as well. Not any more, it seems.

Cracking on these is severe. Been discussing with Michelin but so far best I have been offered is around $375.00 credit. (A set of these is around 1k).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I get to see a lot of tires, and I see more early "dry-rot" on Michelins than average. Also, 7000 miles a year? Does it spend a lot of time sitting around? That seems to accelerate dry-rot faster than driving on them every day. You see this a lot with RV tires.

I retired about 2 1/2 years ago and substitute in a vocational school district and my towns school district. I don't drive more than 10 miles in a day during the school week. The most driving I do is on weekends and that can be my truck or the Yukon that we own. So, I don't let it sit, but don't take many long trips any more with it. My RV tires are older, sit more and still look better than the tires I just exchanged.
While looking at the tires online tonight I noticed Michelin no longer makes the LT2 tires that were on my truck. The new tires have the exact thread pattern but are made with a newer material that is supposed to last 10% longer.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I usually get very good life on tires, but I also have noticed Michelins dry-rotting more of late.
Having the cracking problem with my 4wd diesel truck-

This set of tires has 30k. About six years old. Generally I armor-all frequently. Didn't seem to make much difference in this case. Vehicle is usually garaged.

In the past I have reached 60k with Michelins on mostly Volvos, and that was down South in the sun by the beach. Did well with Coopers on Land Rovers as well. Not any more, it seems.

Cracking on these is severe. Been discussing with Michelin but so far best I have been offered is around $375.00 credit. (A set of these is around 1k).

The cracks in your middle picture of the threads are exactly what mine looked like.

Living the Dream

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I was told by a tire guy I trust that Michelins and BFG's dry rot quicker than all the others. He said it's due to the type of rubber they use.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
They use a harder rubber and are notorious for early dry rot. Your warranty should at least pro rate the cost of the new tires. If not i wouldn't buy michelins again, i also would find a new tire shop. Goodyears warranty would pro rate wear or dry rot, if you got half the time put of the warranty you should get half off the new tires.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this issue when I had a company truck I drove during the week and only drove my personal vehicle on the weekends. Dry rotted in 2.5-3 years with only about 15K miles on them. Got the tires prorated on the warranty.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Did you check the manufactured date on the sidewall of the tire? The reason I ask is that big box stores are notorious for selling several year old stock. In other words, your 3.5 years of usage may have been on 3.5 to 8.5 years old tires.

You should also check the date on your new tires. Here is a NTSB presentation on age related tire failure and recommended max tire age (from date of manufacture not date of purchse).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Yep, you are right about the tire date. One thing we found after seeing this across three vehicles (all Michelin) was that the tire dealer (in this case Sears Auto) was selling "old" tires.

Since then I always ask to see the actual tires to be installed before they start work-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I replaced a set of Bridgestones on my Tundra @ 2 years and 20K miles for the same reason. I didn't check the date code on the tires, but I was seriously pissed.

Has a set of Mastercraft on it now, be 2 years old in August. Reminds me, I should go look at them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I am used to getting 15k miles or so out of the tires on my performance cars. I have never tried to claim anything under the mileage warranty. I should look into that.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I guess I have nothing to complain about. I had the tires for over 3 years and only paid $303 for a set of $859 tires.
My last truck I had saw 70,000 miles on Michelin LT2's and look like they had another 20K left on them. They had no dry rot when I traded the truck in. That set was load range E, I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
I too have seen more dry rot on Michelin's....they did that on my last set but were 6 years old......If you call Michelin, they are pretty darn good at taking care of the customer......However, both sets of michelins I've had on 2 different vehicles, by far were the best tires in every category than anything else.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Chinese MIM lubber.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
I am used to getting 15k miles or so out of the tires on my performance cars. I have never tried to claim anything under the mileage warranty. I should look into that.

If they're asymmetrical (wider rears and thus can't rotate front to back) the warranty may be void. Usually got around 25k no matter Conti, Nexen, or Michelin on my E class.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:

If they're asymmetrical (wider rears and thus can't rotate front to back) the warranty may be void. Usually got around 25k no matter Conti, Nexen, or Michelin on my E class.

You obviously weren't driving it hard enough! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post