SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you listened to me when I talk we wouldn't have issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you listened to me when I talk we wouldn't have issues Login/Join 
posted
I gave this rant a day for me to cool down a bit.
Yesterday I had a concrete pour scheduled. It was scheduled a week out. I told my PM I needed a concrete buggy and we had to rent one as all of ours are on other jobs. Not a big deal. Monday comes and my PM comes out and I asked him where and when are we getting a buggy. Apparently the whole conversation, with a follow up email was forgotten. He orders a buggy, costs extra.
He then asked me how much concrete I need. I told him 7.5 yards. He says ok and I think life is good.
Wow I was wrong. He ordered me 5 yards of concrete to show up at 9am. He ordered the buggy to show up at 9 am. Buggy shows up at 9 and thank god concrete trucks are always late. Truck shows up 15 minutes later, my operator grabs the ticket, verifies the slump and starts bringing me concrete. 2/3 of the way through he tells me "truck empty". I ask for the ticket sure enough I'm 2 yards short of what I told him I needed.
A quick phone call later (and a moderate ass chewing) we got another truck headed down with the remainder.
How hard is it to listen to your foreman. How hard is it to understand when I say I need 7.5 yards I need 7.5 yards. How hard is it to understand I need a buggy to move the damn concrete. This shouldn't be so complicated. The job is simple. I tell you what I need to get shit done and you acquire it. If I tell you I need a fucking helicopter with machine guns on it I could see the issue. But the right amount of material shouldn't be that tough. Trust the guys in the field. Listen to the guy who has been pouring concrete for a decade.
Funny side note. My super showed up yesterday first thing and asked me how much concrete I was getting. My super has 50 years of concrete experience. I told him I better get 7.5. He looked everything over and said I bet you use 7.25. He was dead nuts on. second truck had .25 yards left.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What a clusterfuck.

Ask your PM if his previous position was in supply...

"...Trust the guys in the field. ..."

Yeah. I always listen(ed) to those who work(ed) for me. And it always paid off for all of us.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No no no no .... Field guys are just stupid knuckle dragging imbeciles who can barely put a thought together. It takes someone with real brains and no actual experience to decide things for us because we don't know shit

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the title I thought this was a quote from your significant other.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
What a clusterfuck.

Ask your PM if his previous position was in supply...

"...Trust the guys in the field. ..."

Yeah. I always listen(ed) to those who work(ed) for me. And it always paid off for all of us.

"Get out of my LZ Gunny"

Great movie

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Sooo... can you get by with 6?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Yeah. Maybe just pour it a little thinner. What could possibly go wrong?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Yeah. Maybe just pour it a little thinner. What could possibly go wrong?

-Rob

No, just add water to make up the difference Razz

Being a career Estimator, the guys in the field ALWAYS mess up the budgets Wink

Years back, I had a Super planning a 20yd slab pour on a Friday. At the last minute he decided to go home to see his GF so he cancelled the pour. However, when he called the Redi mix company, nobody answered so he left a message on the recorder.

What the idiot didn't notice is he called the wrong number so the 20yds of mud showed up as previously scheduled. That guy was a piece of work.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
This thread almost makes me miss working on site.

Almost.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
How hard is it to listen to your foreman. How hard is it to understand when I say I need 7.5 yards I need 7.5 yards. How hard is it to understand I need a buggy to move the damn concrete. This shouldn't be so complicated. The job is simple. I tell you what I need to get shit done and you acquire it. If I tell you I need a fucking helicopter with machine guns on it I could see the issue. But the right amount of material shouldn't be that tough. Trust the guys in the field. Listen to the guy who has been pouring concrete for a decade.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happened again yesterday. I needed 80 bags of fast setting repair mortar. Went over the numbers with him on site. He ordered me 60 bags.
He and I are going to have a serious discussion on Monday.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post