SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Payroll foul ups.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Payroll foul ups. Login/Join 
posted
I never intended for my first two threads on this fine forum to be gripes, but I think I'm being tested...

Usually, the county posts our paycheck info online, so each employee can look up their paycheck before it gets direct deposited.

I've not been able to see mine, so I got curious and called the courthouse to speak to HR. She put me on hold, and after a few minutes she told me that none of my time paperwork was given to her, so as far as they knew, I hadn't worked at all this month. Also, it was too late for her to get me paid.

This bothered me a bit, as we only get paid once a month. I went and spoke to my sheriff. He checked the paperwork, and my stuff was clearly on it, with everyone else. He proceeded to make some phone calls to try to correct the issue, while offering to loan me money out of his own pocket to get my by for the next month.

Shortly, HR called me back, and said that they were going to cut me a paper check, and would call me back when it was ready. Two hours later, I had a check in my hands. Post-dated, of course.

I went back to tell the sheriff that it was fixed, and that's when I learned that all the jail staff had gotten a raise. Except me. Now the sheriff has something else to fix. I sure do appreciate the supervisors here.

Today should be better...

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I went into the Army in 1968 we were all paid once per month. A payroll officer picked up the payroll and we all lined up by rank, stepped up to the pay table, reported to the officer, and drew our pay in cash. Nice crisp new bills. Any odd amounts were carried over to the next payday, no change was carried.

While in Vietnam we were offered direct deposit, which seemed like a good idea. I signed up with my Bank of America account information. No pay for 7 months! By the time they got it figured out I had a pretty good chunk of money coming. Turns out they messed up the bank routing code and my pay was going to the BA branch in Australia.

I have been very leery of direct deposits ever since.

During my years as a small town police chief I liked to pick up all the paychecks and hand them to each officer, either at the station or drop by their homes. Always made a point of telling them 'thanks'. I like to think it made some difference. If nothing else they always remembered who they worked for.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They lost my Army payroll files in Korea. I et for a very long time on 50 bucks a month "maintenance pay." Finally a Col. intervened and straightened out my pay, and I went from E-1 to E-4 overnight.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I implemented a new timekeeping and payroll program at the company I work for. I am the admin of this program and understand it quite well. I also trained our accountant on how to run payroll. By default, this makes me the backup payroll clerk. So when our accountant is out, which has happened a couple times, I have to run payroll for both my company and our sister company.

To say I am thorough and meticulous is an understatement. Everything is checked, and rechecked. If an employee is missing time, if a supervisor approved something that doesn’t look right, it gets checked. The principle reason people come to work, is for the pay. One mistake in payroll and it will never be forgotten. Look at Lobo. 53 years ago his pay was messed up. He still hasn’t forgotten.

Sorry to hear they screwed up your pay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I worked for a "body shop" -- a small company that hired programmers and then put them to work at client companies.

My home, and the body shop's office, were in the Orlando area. The client where I was performing the work was in the Raleigh NC area.

The body shop was run by a rectal orifice who did not keep his word. He would jump through hoops to lie, even when it would have been easier to tell the truth. My paychecks were late consistently, and there would always be some bullshit excuse.

I finally got fed up with this, and one weekend while I was home in Florida, I decided not to go back to work at the client location in Raleigh on Monday, just stay home quietly, until I was paid. I did not bother to call the client to tell them that I would not be there, nor did I call the body shop to make my regular inquiry about my missing pay. I was just a silent no-show.

On Wednesday of that week, the third day that I had not appeared at the client location, the client called me to ask why I had neither appeared at work nor called them. I replied that I had come home for the weekend and I did not have the money to travel back to Raleigh, since my paycheck was more than a week overdue, as it usually was. I told them that going forward, I would no longer work without pay.

The client was outraged of course, which was my intention. They contacted the body shop and raised a big stink, also my intention, and threatened to dump every employee of that body shop, which would have caused a major problem for the body shop.

The rectal orifice who owned the body shop business rang my doorbell before noon with the check in hand, and started to give me an ass-chewing. I cut him off, telling him that I would not work even one day if my check was overdue, and if he did not remove himself from my property immediately I would call the police and have him charged with trespassing.

I spent the afternoon speaking with a couple of head-hunters who had been calling me on and off for a while, and I started a new job, with an honest employer, the following Monday.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
1969/1970 payday (US Army / Camp Sabre/ Munsan-ri, Korea) was started at appointed time inside the NCO club while lined up alphabeticaly by rank. SO with the rank of private E-2 and last name started with the letter "W" it was going to be a long wait till my turn . A year later after promoted to E-5 (spec-5) the waiting time was not as bad. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally figured out what my raise is going to be. All the jail staff got about two bucks an hour. Me? 48 cents. Now the new hire with no experience or certifications makes the same as a guy with a class A POST license and more than a dozen years of service. I feel insulted.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not foulups, but I hate people that pay on the 1st and 15th, 5th and 20th, etc. If either day falls on a weekend, tough luck, they don't do the payroll until Monday and you may not get your actual check until Tuesday.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Not foulups, but I hate people that pay on the 1st and 15th, 5th and 20th, etc. If either day falls on a weekend, tough luck, they don't do the payroll until Monday and you may not get your actual check until Tuesday.

Here it's monthly. On the 28th, or the next weekday that's not a holiday.

posted Hide Post
And now a positive story.....

I was hired as a night baker at Panera a number of years ago. I was trained and assigned as a relief baker, moving between shops. I was retired from civil service, and didn't really think about the money (besides, I was exhausted from the physical demands of the job.) One day a number of weeks in, I asked a store manager when payday was. He got upset, shocked that I hadn't been paid. He made a call, and as I got home the regional bakery manager called and asked me to keep my phone on. 4 hours later, a messenger arrived at my door with several week's pay, a nice bonus, and a written apology.

Sometimes they really do try.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
Finally figured out what my raise is going to be. All the jail staff got about two bucks an hour. Me? 48 cents. Now the new hire with no experience or certifications makes the same as a guy with a class A POST license and more than a dozen years of service. I feel insulted.

That IS insulting.

We’re hiring...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am paid monthly and it is always early. The end of this month is Sunday. My deposit was in my account on the 27th.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, after deliberating it, I elected to take my retirement card from the county. On the upside, the place I went to, for a mere ten cents more an hour, has decided to give raises. My base pay is going from $12.60, to $16.00 an hour. And I have really good benefits, where I had none at county, so it all worked out.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen my stapler?

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:

The red one?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the firm that I was working for got bought out by a major Hosp corporation. As a partner in the Firm, got a nice chunk of change for the transaction.

But, now an employee. So all the benefits are signed up for and the direct deposits are arranged. Pay day comes and goes. Stupidly, didn't have time to look at the accounts online to ensure all was well.

My banker calls me and tells me that insufficient funds are avail for bills, mortages that are posting to my account. "What about the deposit that just happened??" "Nothing there!!!"

That started a major shit storm. The Hospital hadn't adequately funded the payroll account and my deposit didn't occur. Hence the problem.

Phone calls started flying. My banker assured me that all would be corrected and covered by their side.

At 2100hrs that nite, door bell rings. CEO, CFO and Director of my division were on the door step. Bit embarrassing to purchase the Firm that I was a Senior Partner for and then screw up the money. They had a deposit slip for the correct amount and any "fees" that were assessed due to the screw up.

Bit of a laugh, when I think about it now. But, it was not good at the time.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:

The red one?

https://static1.cbrimages.com/...&w=960&h=500&dpr=1.5

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In the early 70's one of the car dealerships I worked at was notorious for payroll screw-ups.

We were a Union shop, that should tell you something right off. The contract stated that we were to be paid by five P.M. each Friday and our commissions on the tenth of the month, again by 5 P.M.

Usually checks were handed out around noon, the five P.M. days were when things got interesting. Checks passed out at that time "occasionally" were missing a signature. Depending when and where it was caught, the unlucky people might have to wait to get it corrected on Monday, we figured that the dealership needed some "float" to meet other expenses.

One Friday by five no checks were forthcoming. Seems the dealer left for an out of state trip and "forgot" to take the checks from his personal safe and only he and his secretary had the combination. Official word from our managers was "No checks until Wednesday when the owner returns."

So, a group of us led by our shop's floor rep went to the general manager's office. The Union stance was "You have one half hour to get our checks. This is a direct violation of the Union contract and without pay our members will return Monday morning to picket this dealership."

Fifteen minutes later the combination to the safe was "magically" found.

I left there about two months later. Working there seven months seemed like an eternity for that and other reasons.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post