SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Portable Radar Speed Signs.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable Radar Speed Signs. Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
As an interesting (to me, anyway) historical sidebar, the speed record on Harlem Avenue as you get south of Palos Heights, IL is a bit over 180mph.

I don't know who the record holder was, but I knew the cop who said he clocked him on radar. I didn't think radar of the time (late 1960's) could record that high a speed, and questioned the cop on that, but he swore it was true.

We used to love running hard down in the south part of the county on Willow Springs Road.

Be damn difficult to run that hard out there now for all the development. Seems like last summer I was on Harlem down by Palos and the traffic sucked. Gone are the good ole days.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
The ones here mostly just say SLOW if you're going more than 5 mph over the posted speed.

"But officer, the sign told me I was going too slow... so I sped up. You know, for safety."

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school we would angle them towards the side walk to see how fast we could run or throw a baseball.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Why? They're harmless. I've blown past dozens of them.

They're not that harmless. I think they use them to set the speed limit for that road by determining the average speed. People see that and they slow down "validating" the speed limit. I wish people would speed up more to what they normally drive.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Police chief in my old town gave in interview where he said he used it to remind people what the speed limit was on certain roads.

Told the interviewer to let the readers know that if they saw the speed trailer out, they could expect to see a cruiser at the same spot a few days later. He told the townsfolk to consider the radar trailer a warning for coming enforcement action.

I took him at his word.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Police chief in my old town gave in interview where he said he used it to remind people what the speed limit was on certain roads.

Told the interviewer to let the readers know that if they saw the speed trailer out, they could expect to see a cruiser at the same spot a few days later. He told the townsfolk to consider the radar trailer a warning for coming enforcement action.

I took him at his word.
In my part of the world that is exactly what happens. When the speed trailer is gone you can expect to see police using radar to catch the speeders that fail to get the warning! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
owing it and setting it up was a pain in the ass. It was mainly used to placate chronic whiners who bitched about speeding.

We bought a MPH speed trailer years back. We never wanted the thing but a councilman insisted we get it. Then we had to get a hitch and someone who could set it up. I can barely back up my lawn tractor with a dump cart on it.

We would set it up in some problem areas and made it well known that after a few days, a radar unit would be clocking cars and writing.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around these parts, they leave em in the same place for a few days. Then they disappear and sometime in the next week to 10 days, you will be greeted by a real cop with a real radar gun! Mad

Posts: 49 | Registered: January 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're putting similar sign-mounted permanent units at the edge of several towns around here now.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you folks a little secret, ours have a data link that give an average speed during a specific time. The traffic Sgt. then looks at the data and assigns traffic units to the area.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
You know, the ones on the little trailers with a radar and a sign that lights up and flashes at you if you're 1 MPH over the posted limit.

I hate those fucking things. And I sure hope they don't come equipped with a traffic cam, cuz I invariably flip them off when they flash at me.

Ooooooooooooooh, I'm doing 37 in a 35. I'm SUCH a hooligan. Kiss my ass.

They are radar detector testers.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I was on my Kawasaki ZX-11 on my way to work. At a stop sign, I see a newly placed radar trailer about a quarter-mile down the road. I decide to see how fast I can get. Just as I rolled it on, I noticed the motorcycle officer move behind the trailer with his radar gun. I did two miles under the speed limit all the way by him.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are great for checking the accuracy of your speedometer. Every now and then I'll make 3 passes by them going 30,60,&90.

Posts: 88 | Registered: March 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Big Grin

I always speed up when I see those damn things.

Same here. I've set some records and been caught a few times.
They like setting these up on I-376 in Pennsylvania going towards the airport. Think I've been stopped 3x.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
See them mostly with cameras in the backwoods podunk little towns generating revenue here in lower Alabama. Think the damn thing cost me about $80 last time I was clocked 10-15 over.

There's been some legislative and judicial concern if using them in that manner is even legal. So what did my camera ticket say, "... infraction won't appear on my driving record." They just NEED the money yo.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my cycling days those things meant, it's time for a balls-out sprint to see how fast I could get it to read.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't start seizure mode as soon as you go one mile an hour over the limit, and it's always at the bottom of a hill, too. The ones we got here also have red and blue lights that start going off. The only way they could be more chickenshit, is if they actually sent out tickets, and I'm sure some Law & Order asshole is just stroking himself into a frenzy trying to figure out how to do that here.

Used to have them in Phoenix, on the freeways. They we set up to take your photo and a photo of your rear plate.

The were angled to sharply to catch the plate if your truck's tailgate were down. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know who the record holder was, but I knew the cop who said he clocked him on radar. I didn't think radar of the time (late 1960's) could record that high a speed, and questioned the cop on that, but he swore it was true.

I used to live in Palos Park at that time. That cop is full of it. Sounds like the Palos wanna be cops of the day. We once hit 90 on Kean Avenue and took out a guard rail in the process. Long time ago. Small world we live in.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I used to live in Palos Park at that time. That cop is full of it. Sounds like the Palos wanna be cops of the day...

He was IL State Police, not local. Harlem was a state highway back then, I think. Rt 43. Doesn't mean you're wrong about him being full of it, though.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose anything is possible. Tony Bettenhausen Jr. was from Tinley Park so who knows. I don't know if he did any street racing. We used to go out to Will County Road and run quarter miles.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post