SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Portable Radar Speed Signs.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable Radar Speed Signs. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
You know, the ones on the little trailers with a radar and a sign that lights up and flashes at you if you're 1 MPH over the posted limit.

I hate those fucking things. And I sure hope they don't come equipped with a traffic cam, cuz I invariably flip them off when they flash at me.

Ooooooooooooooh, I'm doing 37 in a 35. I'm SUCH a hooligan. Kiss my ass.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I always speed up when I see those damn things.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yep. There is one on a cloverleaf that I frequent lately. If I go the posted speed on my bike, I can't hold my chosen line and lean angle.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why? They're harmless. I've blown past dozens of them.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had one in a school zone around here last year and it was astounding to see how fast some people were going through the school zone..some hit 50mph..this is in town too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
Big Grin

Yeah. I try and see how high I can get them.

Invariably, some guy with a flag or a shovel going under my truck, screws up the best speed I probably could have gotten.

Rat bastards!

But there's always another down the road...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Big Grin

Invariably, some guy with a flag or a shovel going under my truck, screws up the best speed I probably could have gotten.

Rat bastards!

Two specific places that I don't screw around in when it comes to speed: construction and school zones.

However, for these speed monitors placed out in BFE, etc, I gives a rats ass about 'em.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Big Grin

Rat bastards!

Two specific places that I don't screw around in when it comes to speed: construction and school zones.

However, for these speed monitors placed out in BFE, etc, I gives a rats ass about 'em.

Same. Wink ( I was making sport). If there is "activity" I slow down, but when there is nothing going on, I play.

And if Johnny Law gets me, it's a good get and I'll take the hit.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Big Grin

Rat bastards!

Same. Wink ( I was making sport). If there is "activity" I slow down, but when there is nothing going on, I play.

And if Johnny Law gets me, it's a good get and I'll take the hit.

Roger that. Cool

Same here, though my license plate and company badge have gotten me out of several tickets.

posted Hide Post
As an interesting (to me, anyway) historical sidebar, the speed record on Harlem Avenue as you get south of Palos Heights, IL is a bit over 180mph.

I don't know who the record holder was, but I knew the cop who said he clocked him on radar. I didn't think radar of the time (late 1960's) could record that high a speed, and questioned the cop on that, but he swore it was true.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop, several area depts. wasted money on these contraptions.
At least one was stolen.
Others were vandalized. It seems the deep cycle batteries inside the thing was the target.
If you look closely at them, you will see a heavy steel bar that locks both wheels and keeps it from being stolen.
When my dept. got one, we hated the damn thing. Towing it and setting it up was a pain in the ass. It was mainly used to placate chronic whiners who bitched about speeding.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I use them for checking my speedometer accuracy.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I saw one once that flashed red and blue lights at you if you went too fast.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
When I see one it's usually hammer down time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I always go for the high score on those things!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
I always go for the high score on those things!
Reminds me of a friend of mine who used to race motorcycles. He relocated into the state where I was living and had to take the tests for driver license.

The examiner pointed out the course, defined by traffic cones, stop signs, etc. and told Rick to drive the motorcycle around the course while the examiner observed.

Rick just looked at him and asked, "What's the lap record?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Those things are supposed to give you your speed?

Huh...all I've ever seen them say is "SLOW DOWN" in big flashing letters.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I use them for checking my speedometer accuracy.

Those I see in my area aren't that accurate, some varying almost 5mph each time I pass them. None of them read low.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't start seizure mode as soon as you go one mile an hour over the limit, and it's always at the bottom of a hill, too. The ones we got here also have red and blue lights that start going off. The only way they could be more chickenshit, is if they actually sent out tickets, and I'm sure some Law & Order asshole is just stroking himself into a frenzy trying to figure out how to do that here.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post