SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Managers who focus on minutiae
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Managers who focus on minutiae Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The Corporate buyer will almost always say "no"

That’s also been true of large company or organization (like the military) attorneys in my experience. Years ago a very successful real estate seller wrote a book that continually mentioned “Deal-killing lawyers,” and how it was always them who threw a wrench into the works. It’s almost always safest for them to say, “No, don’t do that,” and for essentially the same reasons: If they say “Yes” and things turn out badly, they themselves will be on the hot seat. If they say yes and everything goes okay, no one will give them any credit for it; the credit will go to the CEO, commander, or whoever dreamed up the scheme.

If, however, they say “No” and the idea is scrapped, no one will be able to be sure that the attorney wasn’t right. If they disapprove and their advice is ignored they will be able to say either, “I told you so,” or, “Well, it could have turned out badly,” (assuming that anyone even remembers they said no to a later successful idea).

What’s unfortunate is how few commanders, managers, etc., understand that basic fact about the people they have working for them. Instead of just accepting a “no,” they should be in the habit of saying, “Explain why you said ‘no,’ and figure out a way to make ‘yes’ work.” But then that gets back to their not understanding the things they’re responsible for supervising.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

The Corporate buyer will almost always say "no"

You can't buy from the source anymore, you must use an approved vendor.
Price for the item increased somewhat, seems the approved vendor got them from the same place we used to get them from.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My first teaching job was given to me by the best principal I ever worked for.

He paid attention to details that actually mattered, discipline and dress code. I worked at a school that was in an area known for being "depressed" and the school population was identified by the large number of children on free and reduced lunch.

My principal was out on campus talking to the kids ALL THE TIME. He insisted on respect and gave the kids the respect they earned. They wanted to please him.

Interestingly, I never sat in meeting unnecessarily while I worked for him and ineffective teachers always ended up "moving on" after a year or two.

When I sat with him for my reviews I was amazed at his knowledge of what went on in my classroom. Fortunately, the "stuff" going on in my classroom basically amounted to some rather advanced lab work that didn't exactly line up with my lesson plans...

When he retired the decline in the school's demeanor was precipitous. Subsequent principals made their focus minutiae and the entire school suffered for it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

$10 says you work in engineering. Where the least informed person in the room makes the decision.
My theory is less allusion - If you want to fuck it up, call a manager to make the decision.

had the exact opposite experience during a grocery store remodel,

engineering guy sends a company out to measure, and draw up plans,

then engineering guy fails to check the measurements,

then engineering guy suggests time lines and stuff that would serve no purpose other than disrupting the customers even more (we were open during the remodel)

not to mention the contractor and his moronic foreman and subs,,,

drank a lot during that remodel, got a couple of subs termed, and after a few weeks of stupidity got the foreman's ass eaten hard by the county inspectors,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post