SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Managers who focus on minutiae
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Managers who focus on minutiae Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I am tired of morons in positions of authority or management who are just worried about re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I know in business school you learned all this fancy shit... but guess what, it doesn't mean a damn thing in the real world.

Major problems happening and your worried about a font on a report, or something completely irrelevant, then you are all proud that you stepped in to save the day. Like a fire truck on the way to a fire, you stop them to point out a sticker on the truck is crooked, and pat yourself on the back.

Fuck you. The more you focus on this shit the more of an ignorant incompetent jackass I know you are. Just stand back and let the rest of us step in and save the day.

The shit cookie theory applies here also... Managers who want to do something fully stupid then stand back and scratch their heads in total amazement that its not working. I call it the "shit cookie theory" ... like dipping a cookie in shit and then acting all surprised it tastes like shit. Of course it does you fucking ego maniac douchebag... it was shit.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott Adams/Dilbert has done pretty good with documenting things like you mention!
Lemonade out of lemons, I guess.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drill deeper, exercise new muscles and pivot. Then you will be ok.

Glad to be self employed when I hear this shit. I have my issues but thank God this isn't one.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel. Most of those people have no idea about how to actually do anything productive.
No, ideas and no good experience.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We must have the same boss.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Apply for his/her job. Then you can show 'em how it's done!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Big world. Same crap everywhere.

Amazing how unfair life is.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
"We're putting new cover sheets on the TPS reports." Didn't you get the memo?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I am tired of morons in positions of authority or management who are just worried about re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I know in business school you learned all this fancy shit... but guess what, it doesn't mean a damn thing in the real world.

Major problems happening and your worried about a font on a report, or something completely irrelevant, then you are all proud that you stepped in to save the day. Like a fire truck on the way to a fire, you stop them to point out a sticker on the truck is crooked, and pat yourself on the back.

Fuck you. The more you focus on this shit the more of an ignorant incompetent jackass I know you are. Just stand back and let the rest of us step in and save the day.

The shit cookie theory applies here also... Managers who want to do something fully stupid then stand back and scratch their heads in total amazement that its not working. I call it the "shit cookie theory" ... like dipping a cookie in shit and then acting all surprised it tastes like shit. Of course it does you fucking ego maniac douchebag... it was shit.

$10 says you work in engineering. Where the least informed person in the room makes the decision.
My theory is less allusion - If you want to fuck it up, call a manager to make the decision.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
"I need you to summarize this for me."

“It appears you didn't have time to write a short letter, so you wrote a long one instead.”

"Also, the graphics on this PPT do not support or highlight your message."

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What kills me is that these managers ding you when you review shit with them and ding you if you exercise empowerment, get the job done quickly and correctly. It's no win with them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Order is due, we can't build because lack of parts. Everything else is prepared to the point of installing the parts that are not on-site. It is a Friday.

Manager"When will the parts due in"?
"Tuesday", actually they were due before the past Tuesday, but does it matter at this point?
"Will it help if everyone comes in on Saturday"?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
"He has a 5th degree black belt in lean manufacturing"

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post

Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday we got an email from our "leader". "Are we looking at this? Not delivering these XXX things is a failure."
One of the guys writes back; "They were not delivered because group A listed does not serve that customer, group B does. Am I missing something?"
Boss; "We held those XXX things back because it was to our benefit."
Really, uh, huh? So we failed good?

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Something I figured out long ago is that when many people find themselves in supervisory positions and don’t really understand what it is they’re supervising, they fall back to the things they do understand. When I was in counterintelligence and a branch transfer lieutenant colonel from transportation or logistics was assigned to our unit and what we did was not something he knew about, he had a choice: either learn a somewhat arcane subject while trying to supervise experts in the field, or focus on things like whether the troops had proper haircuts or if the tire pressure in the vehicles was correct.

I discovered that independently, but I wasn’t the first. Years later I ran across its being expressed more succinctly by Captain Sir Basil Liddel Hart in Thoughts on War (1944): “The ‘polish and pipeclay’ school is not yet extinct, and it is easier for the mediocre intelligence to become an authority on buttons, than on tactics.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Where I work we have over 1,300 PAGES of policy, procedures, and operating guides. Plus a constant flow of updates and all the state/county/city laws. And we are expected, required, to abide.

Some of the policies are literally impossible to follow. And some are 25+ pages long. It is literally impossible to check onto work to begin your shift without violating a GD policy.

Most supervisors understand this. And I'm ALL for following policy and doing the right thing. But all it takes is one shitty supervisor to make life hell.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Where I work we have over 1,300 PAGES of policy, procedures, and operating guides. Plus a constant flow of updates and all the state/county/city laws. And we are expected, required, to abide.

Some of the policies are literally impossible to follow. And some are 25+ pages long. It is literally impossible to check onto work to begin your shift without violating a GD policy.
Here's a suggestion: try getting involved in aviation. I don't mean on a Private Pilot basis, flying for mere enjoyment or maybe family travel, I mean flying where there is $$ compensation involved. Or better yet, take a look at the load of paperwork a maintenance technician has to navigate.

Bottom line, both your line of work, and aviation: both overseen by government entities of one kind or another. Maybe tiny fraction of the regulatory stuff is actually necessary and meaningful, the bulk of it is pure BS. The older and crankier I get, the more I feel ready to hang up the aviation stuff and get on with my life.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
My Father would always add a small error to everything he turned in because his Boss would not be satisfied unless he could find something to correct.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It is why many of us with business experience become self employed.

You can also spot a similar sentiment in companies you deal with.

Example of when I managed a wholesale distribution company > when you dealt with company owners (typically smaller) they are more apt to make a decision to say "yes" to a sales proposal over a large corporate buyer.

The (SMB) "owner" takes responsibility for making a decision of profit/loss/risk.

The Corporate buyer will almost always say "no" unless instructed by superiors or it already has a proven track record.
There is no upside to risk for these buyers as a marginal decision would/could be their job.

The "owner" will take more risk to make more profit.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post