SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poor experiences with internet dating sites, buyer beware.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor experiences with internet dating sites, buyer beware. Login/Join 
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
EHarmony is where I met my wife also. Met her 10/11 years ago and have been married for 7 years. Take your time on your profile, and be honest about yourself and you will do good there.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on a few of them years ago and like Skins, plenty of stories both good and bad.
Worst one was the stalker after I ended it with her. Had to threaten legal action to make her stop. That's when I quit the online dating thing.
Take your time, have fun but be ready to run like a scalded dog after you have a feeling about someone.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Not yet. I was thinking it was next but wanted to know more. Anyone have experience there?

Each area of the country is different.

I did eharmony. You have to answer like 700 questions to set up your profile. Here's what I've found, the women are SOOOOO picky, that they look for 1 single item in your profile to rule you out. It's like they're looking for damn near any reason NOT to date someone, versus at all the positives.

I'm currently on Zoosk and would rate it as pretty good, a good amount of matches, the website works well, etc. It seems to be one of the top dating sites now.

Match- I was on for many years. But a year or two ago when I was last on it, there were tons of fake profiles and other BS with the site to deal with. If someone reports your email, they don't even read it (match), they instantly give you a warning and a second time they block you and keep your money.

Women get into the habit of thinking the next guy is going to be better than you (the current guy they're on a date with) and get pickier and pickier....because hey, they're getting new emails a day.....and free entertainment...... but every once in a while, you find the 1 you click with.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Even in a comparatively short time dating. I've had some laughable experiences, thankfully nothing scary. I do think it's tougher at this age (61). If I were 75, perhaps I wouldn't care much. If I were 40 I'd feel like there was plenty of time to be choosy. Instead for the first time, I have this biological clock ticking that the women are changing fast at 55-63, and I'll be changing every few years as well. 5 years from now would bring a big difference.

I honestly feel the % of ladies at this age who are less motivated and too strongly "opinionated", is very high. Sometimes I just want to blurt our "you girls know George Clooney is taken, right?"

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Met my wife on matchmaker.com

Don't know if it still exists.

quote:
"you girls know George Clooney is taken, right?"

They wouldn't like him either.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
I am a battle scarred veteran of on line dating. Pretty much tried them all. POF, Match, EHarmony, and a few I cant recall. Most of my dates were 45+ years old and had kids. I have had quite a few bad experiences. Here is the one that most amused the local cops:
Broke up with chick after it dawned on me she was a hard core, unrepentant alcoholic. When the usual crazed chick tactic of venomous e-mails, letters and phone calls failed, she showed up in the parking lot of my townhouse complex completely shit faced and dressed in a harem girl outfit. She then did the Dance of the Seven Veils out in the lot. The neighbors were delighted. My landlord less so. The cops thought it was hilarious.
And the crazed chick all time winner was actually a Psychologist!
My advice to those of you want to try on line dating:
Burner phone. Never give out your primary phone number. And a dating only e-mail address.
No invitations to your home until the fifth date.
Research, Research, Research. Don't take what your date is telling you at face value. Check out her history, job, finances, family, kids and Ex anything. She is single after kids and other relationships. Why?
Listen carefully when she speaks of past relationships.
Look carefully at her living conditions. House and car filthy? Flee!
Pets will give you some insight too.
The questions she will ask you give you a great deal of insight. If she is very interested in your financials, run fast and far. As men age, their value often increases. Women, not so much.
Does this all sound like a lot of work? It is! But very necessary. And this applies to any dating site you choose.
I leave you with words of wisdom from my father:
"Never lie down with anyone crazier than you are".
And yes, there are still lots of great single women out there. Its just that finding them is a bitch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I had tried the online dating thing when I was in my early 40s.
Chatted with a few.
Dated one women for a bit.

There were only two problems with this.
1. My looks.
2. My personality.

I don't have the temperament for this kind of silliness.

Others obviously have had good fortune with these sites.

I wound up meeting my wife on the commuter train. We celebrated our 10th anniversary a few months ago. Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Soooo...you're saying get a train pass? That might be cheaper than borrowing niece/nephew and/or a friend's dog Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I had tried the online dating thing when I was in my early 40s.
Chatted with a few.
Dated one women for a bit.

There were only two problems with this.
1. My looks.
2. My personality.

I don't have the temperament for this kind of silliness.

Others obviously have had good fortune with these sites.

I wound up meeting my wife on the commuter train. We celebrated our 10th anniversary a few months ago. Smile

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Well I'll share since everyone else is doing it....met my wife an an adult hook-up site (hint: it begins with "adult" and ends with "finder".....the middle word is "friend"). Wasn't looking for anything except sex. No expectations, no bullshit, just sex. She knocked my socks off (literally and figuratively).....not only was the sex amazing (and it still is), we clicked instantly. That was a little over 12 years ago. I dunno what it's like now on aff, but it might be worth a shot....maybe the lowering of expectations helps at least take the pressure off?

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Not yet. I was thinking it was next but wanted to know more. Anyone have experience there?

I tried Match.com, didn't have any luck even meeting anyone in person. I tried Eharmony, and got laid a bunch but still didn't find "the one."

I met my wife in college, just didn't marry her til 12 years later. Long story.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Try a Antifa rally. Those girls are hot..

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I leave you with words of wisdom from my father:
"Never lie down with anyone crazier than you are".

The more modern (though less polite) version of that advice given to guys of my generation is: "Don't stick it in the crazy!"

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I tried eharmony....it said I had no matches....really!

Stuck with strippers and bar tenders until I went to Ukraine for work....we have been married for 10 years this January

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Stuck with strippers and bar tenders until I went to Ukraine for work....we have been married for 10 years this January

Love those eastern euro women.
I, like Arc, tried eHarmony. Same experience.
I now call it ePimp.

I met Raingirl on a blind date, by some friends. You just never know where it will be found.....

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Check CraigsList. There are some interesting ads. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Broke up with chick after it dawned on me she was a hard core, unrepentant alcoholic. When the usual crazed chick tactic of venomous e-mails, letters and phone calls failed, she showed up in the parking lot of my townhouse complex completely shit faced and dressed in a harem girl outfit. She then did the Dance of the Seven Veils out in the lot. The neighbors were delighted. My landlord less so. The cops thought it was hilarious.

As an officer who has responded to calls like this...thank you for the entertainment

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, my SIL and now-BIL met on eHarmony. Married for 8 years now w/ 3 kids.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had a friend who worked in Russia setting up factory equipment for the Ruskies.

He told me that Russian women are desperate for available marriage minded American men.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

I had a friend who worked in Russia setting up factory equipment for the Ruskies.

He told me that Russian women are desperate for available marriage minded American men.

This is sort of true in various countries where it would be a major life improvement to move to the US. However, some girls have gotten smart and some know how long to be married (and preferably in a state with the most liberal community property laws). Before they can divorce and get a big payout. Pre-nups are essential with international marriages.

Also, remember that a girl who is less desirable in her home country, and thus looking for a way out, may find she has much better opportunities after she becomes an American citizen. If she's looking to get out of her home country by marriage, she already has a very pragmatic mindset and may be willing to settle for whomever will get her here, without a long term plan to stay with him.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met my wife via a singles ad I placed in a local paper. There was no World Wide Web then, much less dating sites. We're still together married, over 30 years later.

But there was one who responded to my ad before the one that came to be my wife. She was from West Virginia. I went out with her once. The date was OK, not great, but not too bad, so I went out with her a second time. About an hour or so into the second date, I realized this was a mistake, we really have nothing in common. We finished the date, and I stopped calling her.

She started calling me, and leaving me messages asking me to call her. After leaving several messages, I decided I am going to have to call her back and tell her the truth, and that while she was really nice, I didn't feel any chemistry and did not want to continue seeing her. She seemed to take that pretty nicely on the phone.

That night, I had another message on my answering machine. It was NOT her, but it was her mother. I never met the mother, but I KNOW it was her mother. Very heavy, older West Virginia accent. I will quote directly, because it scared me to death and I remember the exact words: "You low down liar! You are going to pay for this! And Buster, don't you think you're not!"

I lived alone and was scared to death, at the time had no firearms to defend myself with. I had no idea what I was dealing with and was afraid someone was going to come to my house with a shotgun. Nothing ever happened beyond that, though. It could be because my phone number, although she had it, was unlisted, so she couldn't look up my address in the phone book and find out where I lived (remember no WWW at that time).

Fast forward to now. We have a close female family friend - Divorced, 56 years old, 4 kids, and her youngest just left the nest, so she is dating again. She's been meeting people via dating sites. We hear the stories, and the only thing I think of is thank god I am married, I would never fit into the dating scene today.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post