SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Work Turn Over
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work Turn Over Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
It is wearing me down!! I have lost 10 staff out of 45 in the last 3 months.

Not that I blame them!!! Corrections is not an easy field to work in. Shitty pay, poor work environment. 8 staff assaults this year (2 required hospital care). Although starting pay is 19.00 an hours so If that appeals to you email me and I can hook you up Smile. Also...all the OT you can handle!!!

The constant training only to see them bail is disheartening. Praying things get better!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with you. My shift has space for a staff of 21 on paper, but we have been at 17 since I've been there, down to 15 at one point. The way shifts go at least 8 of them have to be working every night (and that is nowhere near enough to even handle our own business, we're the busiest division in the city and handle the highest violent crime hours).

Every time it looks like we are close to getting to full staffing on paper, two quit and another goes out on medical. This keeps the average years of experience at around 2 for the shift, which creates its own near-disasters regularly.

It's exhausting. And they are making closer to $25/hour by the time they get to me...still can't keep them.

Thirty officers would put us where we need to be. I will never see that.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'm right there with you. My shift has space for a staff of 21 on paper, but we have been at 17 since I've been there, down to 15 at one point. The way shifts go at least 8 of them have to be working every night (and that is nowhere near enough to even handle our own business, we're the busiest division in the city and handle the highest violent crime hours).

Every time it looks like we are close to getting to full staffing on paper, two quit and another goes out on medical. This keeps the average years of experience at around 2 for the shift, which creates its own near-disasters regularly.

It's exhausting. And they are making closer to $25/hour by the time they get to me...still can't keep them.

Thirty officers would put us where we need to be. I will never see that.

Out of 45 sgt./officer's on my shift. 2 have more than 20 years (one being me at 23)! 1 with 10. 5 with 5 years. The rest are 2 years or less!

Of course people think anyone can do it!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of the two career fields already mentioned are pretty tough. Cost of living is obviously a factor but wages would have to be quite a bit higher to draw me in.

Having said that I started out in the union apprenticeship after 10 years military at $12.50/hr., wife & one child / single income in south Florida (1995). Was able to work beaucoup o.t. for many years which did help.

Not many people want to work in a blue collar trade anymore it seems either. We've gone through a TON of people in the last 10 years.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although starting pay is 19.00 an hours ...

Sorry, but you can't pay me enough. Smile

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Although starting pay is 19.00 an hours ...

Sorry, but you can't pay me enough. Smile

You lost me at the work part. I'm old and retired, and I have no interest in going to a thing called work. I'm like the welfare crowd, I get my month direct deposit from uncle sugar. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ronin, bring them candy bars Wink Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corrections officers are the unsung heroes of the justice system. It would collapse without them. I have always thought they get the shit end of the stick in every way. Lousy pay (given the risk and the environment), bad hours, staff cutbacks and half ass efforts at privatization all contribute to high turnover.
I couldnt do the job, especially the way things are now.
Corrections guys, you have my thanks and respect.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yooper

I appreciate the words.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Ronin, bring them candy bars Wink Big Grin

You wouldn't believe the things they get!!!!

posted Hide Post
Out of all the jobs in the Justice System, CO gets the least respect.

My best friend worked in Corrections for 18 years just outside Cols, Ohio and it wore him down. He even moved over to Parole then Case Management and it still took a toll on him.

I loved working the street and in the process of returning to LE but I don't think I could be a CO. Heck I don't think I would survive.

I tried working in a jail for two months and I sucked at it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

My best friend worked in Corrections for 18 years just outside Cols, Ohio and it wore him down. He even moved over to Parole then Case Management and it still took a toll on him.

I loved working the street and in the process of returning to LE but I don't think I could be a CO. Heck I don't think I would survive.

I agree. 911 dispatchers get a pretty raw deal as well. My wife does that so we are disgruntled together. She was just told that she will only be able to take 10 days off at one time and if it falls on a holiday that she may have to come in for the holiday. If that wasn't bad enough she was givewn a 2 hour window to come into work to drop off her request. If she misses the window she gets skipped on the vacation rotation. She is afraid that the newer staff and just going tell them to get fucked and walk out!!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

It ain't easy. Christmas time was the worse. Parole/Probation would seek OT by rounding up paroles on a bogus "Technical Charge".

Inmate would then spend 90 days in Prison until a hearing and the charge usually was dropped, but during that time the inmate and his family was really pissed at CO's.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post