SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wasps are the spawn of the devil!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wasps are the spawn of the devil! Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted
Normally, I have a "don't start none, won't be none" kind of mentality regarding wasps and other bees/hornets *excluding yellow jackets* It has worked for at least 25+ years without incident, today however, I remember the pain that is caused by these hateful little bastards. While checking a building for snakes, I encountered a paper wasp that decided I got a little too close to the nest. This bitch proceeds to grab hold of my left ear and jab her fucking fire stick into it. Now my ear is red, swollen, and throbbing like nobody's business. Remember folks, wasps are assholes!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
AftaBite should ease your discomfort.
Wasps suck.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If you already suspected the building contained snakes and you were aware of the wasp before it stung you, why didn't you back out and torch the building? Seems to me like it's a lost cause, already. Confused

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Orguss, it would normally make sense. However, (and you'll probably laugh at this), it was at my grandmothers house. I go over once a week to check up on her, eat dinner with her, and do odd jobs if she has them. What is going to make you laugh is this woman is 89 years old and doesn't have indoor plumbing so she has an outhouse. I had gone out back to piss (not in the outhouse but rather beside it in nature) and sometimes there is a black snake that likes to hang out in the johnny house, which is a sign of mice, so I figured I'd pop my head in there to see if he was around. No biggie! I like snakes, especially the ones that do good things for us. The problem came from a group of wasps that were building a nest on the inside of the door. I just did get a look at the bastard that got me. Today the ear is less sore but just as swollen and itches. Oh well, lessen learned. From now on, I will carry a can of carb cleaner with me to dispatch all stinging insects.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This story is missing an important part - REVENGE

Please tell me you dispatched those spawns of Satan in a fiery death

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
todd, no carb cleaner or wasp spray handy at the time. Had some old ant and roach spray which slowed them devilish beings enough to swat them and grind them into oblivion. Once that was done, I took care of the nest they were building to stop further propagation of the species. Next time I will be better armed Wink

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We get a gillion paper wasps around here, but thankfully they are pretty docile and I've yet to get hit by one (knock on wood). I find those little umbrella looking like nests everywhere and promptly hose them down with Raid. Several summers back it was really bad. They were all over the place, even nesting in the door handles of my truck and crawling in between the doors of the crew cab. You really had to watch where you were reaching before you reached. It was to a point that I considered gearing up in a bee suit just to go outside and mow the lawn. Unbelievable how many there were and they were a lot more aggressive than usual (not stinging aggressive, but in your face aggressive).

I've learned to pre-emptively hose down under my eaves, under the lean-tos on my shed, around my recessed lights on the deck, etc..., with Raid and then do it every so often throughout the summer. It seems to keep them under control, but they always seem to find places to hole up.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raid

This is safer. Spray container, dishwashing soap, water. Mix nice and soapy. Spray directly and generously at dusk. After a couple of days, remove nest.

Works on contact.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jehzsa,

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I had my first encounter with a wasp this year, one of those huge dark red ones with the tiny "waist" that are pretty aggressive. Like almost always, I was driving and since it was like 65 out, I decided to open the windows on my car and when I stopped at a light, here it comes inside and lands on my head. For some reason, they almost always end up checking out my eyebrows, totally freaking me out. I pulled into a parking lot and sat there, waiting for the wasp to get tired of my furry eyebrows and leave, but it ended up going back and forth on my glasses for several minutes. It finally decided to check out the dash, and I got out and went into the store I was at, hoping it would be gone when I returned. Nope, it was still there, so I opened up the windows and put the A/C at full blast and started home. It finally left as I turned into my driveway, it got about a 5 mile ride. I've been freaked out by them since I got stung a half dozen times when I tried to kill a nest and the can of Raid ran out of propellant after about a half second of spraying.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have huge yellow bodied wasps here in AZ, but thankfully they really don't seem to care about us humans. I suspect if they stung you, it would put you in a coma, as most AZ flora and fauna carry quite a bit of bite. I just use the Wasp/Hornet spray to sterilize their nests, then knock them down. They are generally trying to build right now, as the temps heat up.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Tha wasp was just exercising it's right to defend one's home. It just sucks you were the one. I get them in my skid loader from time to time, a little diesel fuel sprayed and they die (just fuel no matches). The smell leaves in a couple of days and all is well again. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Last year I had wasps nesting inside the passenger side mirror of my truck. Took me awhile to figure out where they were hiding. Fiancee was not impressed. Sneaky little bastards.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
Raid

This is safer. Spray container, dishwashing soap, water. Mix nice and soapy. Spray directly and generously at dusk. After a couple of days, remove nest.

Works on contact.

Yep, at dusk or when it's dark. Allows you to destroy the entire nest as they are at rest. I do it every summer at work as they like to create nests on scrap hoppers and stacks of pallets. Can walk up within a couple of feet of the nest.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Take a paper grocery bag, crumble the top so you can hang it from the ceiling, and put it in the area of the wasp's nest, and leave it there. To a wasp, it appears to be a hornets nest, and they will leave, apparently, hornets are the thugs in the insect world.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in Southern Missouri we suffered all sorts of flying demon spawn. Our house had reallly high eaves that required a water house to get to. We either didn't have the high pressure chemical sprays then or it was too great a distance.

But what we always had was a long pole and firecrackers / bottle rockets. Tied to the end of the pole one brother would lite it the other raise the pole near the nest. Bastards would come out around the hissing and when it detonated the shock wave would get them all as well as most of the nest. Very effective fun for rural summer days.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Red wasps hurt like fire.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
When I incur a single bite from insect X, I make it my mission to immediately go into war mode and kill every offspring of insect X, all his cousins, aunties, known associates, and degenerate reprobate relatives. I will cancel appointments to go find them, seek their home, then kill them in new and imaginative ways.

It's a hobby, mebbe. Dunno.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
When I incur a single bite from insect X, I make it my mission to immediately go into war mode and kill every offspring of insect X, all his cousins, aunties, known associates, and degenerate reprobate relatives. I will cancel appointments to go find them, seek their home, then kill them in new and imaginative ways.

It's a hobby, mebbe. Dunno.

LOL! The General Mattis of insect warfare!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody insect you meet."

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post