SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Impossible to cancel trips (without Airline or State Dept ordering Travel Ban) - FLIGHT CANCELLED !!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impossible to cancel trips (without Airline or State Dept ordering Travel Ban) - FLIGHT CANCELLED !!! Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
We always book through Travelocity only because they pull up all available airline when we search for flights. I am really hoping now (in this case), that we did not forfeit our cancellation benefits by booking through them, instead of going direct with the airline.

I wish you luck, but one of the main things you give up when booking through a service is the right to Cancellation and getting a refund. JAL has no incentive to help you aren't a returning or regular customer. They've already loss money on your ticket because of the rate they had to sell it to Travelocity for.

For future reference, use the services like Travelocity to search fares and then purchase directly through the airline

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Go.

Unless your house has airlocks and at least 6 months of provisions or more, you WILL be exposed here at home eventually.

As long as you can deal with all the extra crap that will be attached (employer issues, quarantine, etc), I think it would still be a fun trip.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This. Don’t live in fear and enjoy your trip.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Japan isn't bad right now with the reported cases.

My biggest worry would be having to self-quarantine when I got home even if I didn't have symptoms. If the employer eats the sick days not to bad if you have to eat them then that really sucks.

Tough choice. I'm getting on a plane in less than a week but just across the US. My hope is people will be scared to travel and maybe there are fewer people on the plane.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Sigmund again for replying with this link: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/in...020/inter/200127_02/

That same day, I received an email from Travelocity with some guidelines on how to request refund for cancellation. I submitted my request on-line to Travelocity. The emailed response said it will take around 5 business days to respond to our request. At least I have it documented that I requested cancellation and refund.

Learned some lessons with this whole travel cancellation experience. Use travel agency to compare prices. Then purchase directly from the Airline. When purchasing Travel Insurance, inquire about the "any reason" policy rider. Even if it will cost me more money.

We have been to JAPAN (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) in Spring 2018. This trip would have been our second trip to Japan, and wanted to visit Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Yokohama and other cities. We will definitely plan another trip to Japan once this whole Corona Virus issue is gone.

Since we already have approved vacation for that week, we are now planning on just taking our RV and camp somewhere near. Our dogs are happy since we will be able to spend our Spring break with them.

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. This forum is really a great source of information for any topics or issues. Much appreciated SigForum friends. Smile

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a lot of international travel to Asia for business, and I'm always trying to ensure flexibility for schedule changes or cancellations.

I have to book business travel through a corporate agent, so it helps to know the booking code and fare class - then compare to airline and see what the restrictions are. Less restrictions means higher price, but usually through the agent or direct to the airline, you have the option to pay a fee to change the ticket even if it's non-refundable.

I used to use Hipmunk to see all flights available - it was great but it shut down. Trip.com (formerly C-Trip) is useful for Asian airlines. I've used it to book stuff the travel agent couldn't see (smaller local airlines in Asia) and for a girlfriend that tagged along on a couple trips.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I booked a trip to Europe yesterday (for net year). Medical and other insurance, including contingencies, cost an additional 165 bucks. I paid it. As Judge Marylin says, "Sometimes the cheap is the expensive."

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Japan a few days ago. No special precautions there, or stateside when we got back. My son just returned from Argentina a couple of days ago. No issues there, either.

I think one is wise to avoid travel right now if possible, even if only for the potential of getting stuck somewhere. You certainly don't want to be sick in a foreign country and stuck.

US carriers are offering no-questions-asked change policies, allowing any tickets to be shifted, cancelled, rebooked, etc, without penalty, given the fluidity of the situation presently, and scaling back on flights. Not necessarily the case on foreign carriers, and discount brokers.

I've had the same problem with hotel brokers such as expedia, getting refunds (won't do it), and hotels that won't give points when booked through brokers. It's the nature of getting a better deal; it comes with a catch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Flight CANCELLED!!!

***UPDATE: I submitted a request for cancellation with Travelocity couple of weeks ago. They have a special form to submit for cancellations. Finally received an email confirming our cancellation. They gave us a VOUCHER valid until Dec. 8, 2020 (one year from when we purchased the tickets). They also advised us to contact JAPAN Airline directly to verify if they can extend the validity of the voucher up to a year of our planned departure date (04/04/2020)***.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Flight CANCELLED!!!
Refund?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Nope. Voucher only.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Flight CANCELLED!!!
Refund?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Voucher only.
Better than nothing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post