SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another 10MM socket lost
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 10MM socket lost Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Great stories gang! Big Grin

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Sometimes I've been successful by just sticking the pickup tool into every hole and rattling it around. Blind fishing.

Wife throws a fit when I surprise her with that.

Ha! Especially when working on your neighbor's car!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
After several decades of wrenching on my 356 Porsches I settled in on some good assists in this matter. Firstly, stop using 3/8" drive and switch to the 1/4 ". Then acquire a wide variety of length extensions which have additional socket retaining mechanisms; my favorite has been the 'slide switch like widget' that locks the spring loaded retaining ball that is sold by Sears in the Craftsman line, assuming those are yet available(if Sears is yet in business). Of course, one should also have a ratchet with a retaining ball latch, a common feature on most competitive brands. Some latches are superior to others so try them out before buying, some I have encountered were very aggravating.

But the one 'Gotcha' that is frequently overlooked is that the 'notch' or indent inside the 1/4" drive well on the walls of the socket whose purpose is to engage the retaining ball is very very often poorly manufactured, be it stamped or machined(ground). I have found them missing altogether, much too shallow and/or only on one of the four walls (whereas one expects them to be present and functional on all four walls)! Every such socket(10mm or smaller) should each be checked, preferably while buying, and if need be, corrected with a small diameter grinding stone driven with a Dremel-like tool.

Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, one should also have a ratchet with a retaining ball latch, a common feature on most competitive brands.

In the hands of a 15 year old racing motocross, nothing helps. Many years ago when my stepson was racing I purchased 10, 13 & 15 sockets by the dozen.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Anush,
Back in prehistoric times Japanese bike metric sizes were different than the european metric sizes of the same nominal sizes. I believe they even had their own standards, at least that was the case with my Yamaha 125 twin racer.

Gratefully 356 Porsches have no 15mm sized hex heads with which to cope! If they did I would use a 3/8" drive!

It sounds like Harbor Freight could be your friend!

Big Grin

Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
My Tahoe has a storage box under the hood so I always keep 2 or 3 10mm wrenches and sockets in there. I keep a small socket set in my Ford in the storage behind the rear seats.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
It used to be 9/16ths wrenches that went wherever socks go. Now it's 10mm sockets too?

They meet up at the edge of the yard...have SAE and metric tool sex and their offspring is a 9/17th socket...which doesn't fit anything Big Grin

Actually when SAE and Metric Tools have sex the offspring are whitworth tools that only fit Triumph motorcycles or autos made before 1965 or so.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
But the one 'Gotcha' that is frequently overlooked is that the 'notch' or indent inside the 1/4" drive well on the walls of the socket whose purpose is to engage the retaining ball is very very often poorly manufactured, be it stamped or machined(ground). I have found them missing altogether, much too shallow and/or only on one of the four walls (whereas one expects them to be present and functional on all four walls)! Every such socket(10mm or smaller) should each be checked, preferably while buying, and if need be, corrected with a small diameter grinding stone driven with a Dremel-like tool.

Been using an SK 1/4" combo set (metric and inch, regular and deep) for about 10 years now, and never had a problem with losing sockets. Toolholder retention is the key. I do agree, though, that before everything became metric, the most lost socket/wrench was 9/16", which is incidentally a very close fit for a 14mm. 19mm and 3/4" are almost exactly the same, and which is why I carry only 19mm in my truck, as it handles both lug nuts.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 socket sets really should come with 7,8,10,10 and 12mm sockets!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I’ve given up on 10mm sockets.... I think there’s 50 little socket sets in my garage and every one of them is complete except the 10mm because those things just disappear

I must be at the other end of the wormhole. I have more 10mm sockets than will fit in my cases.

I will toss one behind my workbench tonight - look for it in your toolbox.

You're welcome.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
In the hands of a 15 year old racing motocross, nothing helps. Many years ago when my stepson was racing I purchased 10, 13 & 15 sockets by the dozen.

13's and 15's what'd he race, a KTM? Most jap MX bikes are even until you get to 17.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:

13's and 15's what'd he race, a KTM? Most jap MX bikes are even until you get to 17.

Crapload of 13's on most of the Yamahas I've ever owned.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
You need one of these:

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
Anush,
Back in prehistoric times Japanese bike metric sizes were different than the european metric sizes of the same nominal sizes. I believe they even had their own standards, at least that was the case with my Yamaha 125 twin racer.

I'm confused. Do you mean to say that Japanese and European metrics were actually different sizes? Or that a European M8 nut took a 13mm wrench/socket, while the Japanese M8 took a 12mm? If the latter, it is still true today, at least for Toyotas. It is the difference between ANSI/ISO standards, and JIS standards. The older Land Cruisers that actually came with a tool kit had two open end wrenches, an 8mm/10mm, and a 12mm/14mm (they may have also had a 17mm/19mm, but it's been a number of years since I was around them).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
The Yamaha 125cc vertical twin engined bike I had was a YAS-1C and the year of its mfr was around 1967-68. IIRC there were differences in the threads, subtle but producing jams sometimes nonetheless. I think it may have had to do with the depth of the thread grooves but that was a long time ago however. I owned a 356 Porsche and a VW at the same time and was warned to be careful by the Yamaha shop-owner/service, whose shop was immediately behind my apartment. I believe I experienced the conflict at least once but have no detailed memory thereof. It could also easily have been a conflict specific to Yamaha or one or more of its suppliers.

I started my limited ventures into SCCA racing with mentors who used and well knew British cars and bikes which used Whitworth, but being somewhat mechanically naive at that time my tool collection began with a Crescent wrench!

Much later, and far better educated, I lived professionally through an ANSI/ISO reconciliation era, 1980-1995 with very high precision product manufacturing(think Angstroms, now replaced with nanometers) and CADCAM systems trying to use both standards! We were so involved that we had top engineers on the committees. I flip flop as regards any preferences but am a fan of the ANSI and SAE folk who showed far more savvy re pertinent material properties than the numerology obsessed metricians.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:somewhat mechanically naive at that time my tool collection began with a Crescent wrench!

Which, while I lived in TX, we called a Mexican socket set, and when I lived in MD, it was a WV socket set.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I just don’t know what it is I have been missing a 10mm combination wrench and 10 mm socket from my favorite set....damn aliens

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost a really nice 1/4" flex head snap-on ratchet. It wasn't until 2 years later did I find it in the engine bay of my garage queen.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
10mm GearWrench, insulated, for car batteries:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I don't imagine that was a very big seller when the same lack of sparks and drama can be achieved by removing the GROUND terminal first!

... and I am sure you already knew that, V-Tail, so I'm not aiming at you! Wink
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post