SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another 10MM socket lost
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 10MM socket lost Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Battery just died on wife's 2014 Honda Accord. The good news is that it was still in the garage an it got up to 10 degrees F today. Uses a 24F battery and a lot of places were out due to the long cold snap. I found an Interstate Mega-Tron II at nearby Firestone and they had a $28 off online coupon to boot. Hope that is a decent battery.

All going well and the last task was tightening the clamp on the negative terminal. Then the 10MM socket falls off and goes down on the engine bay to parts unknown. Mad About the third time this has happened to me working on our cars. Could not see it anywhere and I have a magnetic tool to snatch it if I could just see it. So I finish up with good old adjustable wrench.

Good news is Home Depot sells 10MM sockets for less than I paid for them in 1969 though quality may not be as good. Hopefully next time I will learn and use my old Craftsman socket wrench instead of the cheap one that I bought at Sams Club that comes in a nice plastic case with all the sockets organized and labeled. But I bought two 10MM at Home Depot just in case.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve given up on 10mm sockets.... I think there’s 50 little socket sets in my garage and every one of them is complete except the 10mm because those things just disappear

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in Auto Zone picking up a socket for a brake job I was doing for my daughter they had a whole set(maybe 10-12)of nothing but 10mm sockets in different configurations. Must be a common socket to loose.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I lost a magnetic driver bit once in a similar way. Maybe a year later, I could see it by standing a distance from my Blazer, sticking right there in plain sight.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
LOL! Glad to hear I am not the only one. Smile

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
& 10mm wrench's, all gone!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
LOL last time I was at HD bought 3 Husky 10 mm sockets and 3 Husky 10 mm combination wrenchs that should last me a year.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It used to be 9/16ths wrenches that went wherever socks go. Now it's 10mm sockets too?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Glad its not just me as well - 10mm or 1/2" every time.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
It used to be 9/16ths wrenches that went wherever socks go. Now it's 10mm sockets too?

They meet up at the edge of the yard...have SAE and metric tool sex and their offspring is a 9/17th socket...which doesn't fit anything Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Forget those crappy 10mm sockets and get yourself a 1cm socket. You'll thank me later.

Posts: 3656 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was walking the dog couple months ago, picked up a craftsman socket in the middle of road....yup 10mm.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
Was walking the dog couple months ago, picked up a craftsman socket in the middle of road....yup 10mm.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I think I will get one of these too from Amazon next time I place an order. Should be easy to find if I drop this and can keep in glove compartment too. Only $4.08.

Uxcell a11090700ux0149 10mm L Shaped Double Ended Hexagon Offset Socket Wrench

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-...keywords=10mm+socket

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Is a 9MM close enough? I've one you can have

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Is a 9MM close enough? I've one you can have

Nope, not enough knock-down power.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I've been successful by just sticking the pickup tool into every hole and rattling it around. Blind fishing.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you go through the checkout in a hardware, they have a bunch of crap in the "impulse zone", hoping you'll throw it onto the belt at the last second. Batteries, candy, little flashlights... if they had several little bins full of the size sockets we all lose regularly, we'd be happier.

To keep the bins stocked, they'd need 55 gallon drums full of the sockets, close at hand.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Sometimes I've been successful by just sticking the pickup tool into every hole and rattling it around. Blind fishing.

Wife throws a fit when I surprise her with that.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Every time you lose a 10mm a kitten dies.

In an effort to save the 10mm sockets, I bought a bunch of 10mm gear wrenches. I keep one in every car. Comes in handy. Just yesterday, I went to my dad's house to help him put a battery in and didn't bring my tool box. He has his own, so why bother? I get there, open his, and of course he's missing the 10mm socket. 10mm gear wrench to the rescue.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post