SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    We really need a USPS griping thread. GRRRR!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We really need a USPS griping thread. GRRRR!!!!! Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
This was coming from Greg Cote in FL. My effing package was in Houston, already. How in the holy hell did they route it away, to Bryan, near College Station, where TAMU is? Mad Mad Mad

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Confused
That definitely makes no sense.
IIRC, you're NW Houston, so only about 20-30 mins from 77032, can't imagine why it'd get routed to Aggieland only to come back to Houston.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worst thing you can do is look at tracking. Let it go.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brakes on the truck failed and it just kept on going northwest!!!

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
P226RN Tara sent me a package about 6 or 7 years ago from Maryland to Louisiana and it's still not here.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I got a letter today that was mailed last Monday. 8 days to go 20 miles.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple of magazines recently. Shipped from AZ to NJ. They made it all the way to LA and then doubled back to a different sort facility in AZ to finally show up a day later than originally posted. No biggie for me as there was no rush to get them but geeze talk about inefficiencies. No surprise the USPS is circling the drain.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
Last year I had something coming from Arizona. It left Arizona and along the way to Georgia it took a detour to Alaska. After it finally left Alaska, it got to Atlanta and then went to a NW suburb instead of NE.

I ended up getting it about a week later than the original delivery date.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Ok,

We love our (home) Letter Carrier. He goes above and beyond, and really seems to care.

However, where I work, the Post Office is another story.

I previously did a lot of volunteer work for the local Chamber of Commerce, which happens to be located .5 miles from my office. Yes, I said .5 miles. On nice days, I will often walk there, rather than drive my car.

One of the events I always volunteer for is the annual golf outing.

After the outing, they always send thank you notes to the volunteers.

One day, a few weeks after the outing, I received a thank you note. Our Office Admin date stamps every piece of mail that comes in to our office.

I happened to notice it took 7 calendar days for the thank you note to arrive. It was metered at the Chamber and Post Marked at the local post office, which is only 2 miles from the Chamber Office.

No, there were no weather related disasters, and it was not a week with a Postal Holiday.

This is the worst example I can provide.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a package off Amazon on Thursday. Three part order, so some was Prime eligible, some wasn't.

Part 1 arrives Saturday, awesome.

Part 2 was scheduled to arrive Monday. It didn't. I figured it was the holiday. I checked tracking...and it said it was out for delivery, address/person could not be found, and was being returned to sender.

Part 3 arrived yesterday.

WTF...

I called Amazon, who called USPS and as of this morning the package is now back in my town, and I assumed will be delivered today or tomorrow.

Even Amazon CS seems flabbergasted that they could find me every other time I've ordered something, and found me for 2 of the 3 parts, but I fell into the Twilight Zone on Monday.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I still can't figure why the USPS doesn't bother cancelling about half my stamped incoming mail.

Most of those have evidence of having been processed by USPS machines (bar codes printed on the bottom, little stickers with bar codes, etc.)

Doesn't make any sense. It would not be hard to remove and reuse uncancelled stamps....you'd think they'd have the incentive to actually mark all of them as canceled, rather than only some of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
which is only 2 miles from the Chamber Office.

Were they first class mail or bulk/3rd?

All outgoing mail goes to a processing plant. way way back we used to separate intown and out of town mail, and the clerks would internally sort/distribute. Everything has to go to the plant now so that some a-holes can keep their jobs counting and tracking things, instead of delivering them.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I still can't figure why the USPS doesn't bother cancelling about half my stamped incoming mail.

I hand cancel a fair amount, mostly on flats. Carriers don't pay attention to anything anymore, I'm strange because I don't wear headphones and play around with a phone all day. I have people take 3rd class postage off of stuff they get, and try and use them as stamps... sometimes I'll just put it in back in their mailbox, sometimes.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The sorting facilities are spread all over the place, it's not a direct delivery from mailbox A to mailbox B.

It's like flying with a connecting flights. You might fly from Pittsburgh to NYC to Puerto Rico, just to get to St. Lucia. It seems it would make sense just to fly from Pittsburgh to St. Lucia, but that's not how it works in reality.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Confused
That definitely makes no sense.
IIRC, you're NW Houston, so only about 20-30 mins from 77032, can't imagine why it'd get routed to Aggieland only to come back to Houston.

Not unlike the time a few years ago when such an event got to be hilarious here on the forum.

I had ordered something. Started tracking it, and for something like TEN DAYS it bounced bounced back and forth between 2 USPS sites!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I’m a carrier, and I’m guessing 90% of the mail I deliver is sorted by machines. I don’t even look at it, until I’m at the address. I don’t pay attention to the address, I look at the last name. Once you are familiar with a route, that is the fastest and easist way to deliver.

That being said, almost 50% of the errors I get that are undeliverable, are from the customer end. Either bad zips, misspelled streets, incorrect house number, illegible handwriting, etc. The other 50% are machineable errors. 99% of all mail, packages, etc, have a barcode/scan on it. It’s all sorted by optical readers. Even clerks throwing packages in the morning don’t even look at the address, they scan the barcode, and the machine tells them what route it goes too. And most of the barcode errors are generated by the customer, usually an incorrect address or zipcode.

I have a non-existent street on my route, but people still send things to this street. Only reason I know where to deliver it is because I know the last names. And one family moved a year ago, but keeps ordering and sending things to a street that doesn’t exist.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I’m a carrier
I have a non-existent street on my route...

? There's gotta be a story behind that.

As an outsider, I'd have thought:

1) mail with bad addresses would get turned around at the receiving PO as they try to put a zip+4 on it, and fail

2) only Rod Serling would assign a specific non-existent street to a carrier's route.

Who makes the call to put a non-existent street on a particular route, and why?

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’m a carrier

1) mail with bad addresses would get turned around at the receiving PO as they try to put a zip+4 on it, and fail

2) only Rod Serling would assign a specific non-existent street to a carrier's route.

There is a street in OKC named "None Such Road". It's just west of the intersection of I-35 & NE 122nd. I've been on it. Big Grin

Go ahead, google it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=None+Such+Road%2C+Okla+City
Click on the map.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
quote:
I’m a carrier

There is a street in OKC named "None Such Road". It's just west of the intersection of I-35 & NE 122nd. I've been on it. Big Grin

Go ahead, google it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=None+Such+Road%2C+Okla+City

Then Click on the map and then satellite view. Ignore the restaurant response on google.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Joel957, the non-existant street is not on my route, it only exists in cyber space.

It is part of a fairly large apartment complex. We have had a fairly large immigrant influx recently. Basically, they look on google maps to get their "street". But the street doesn't exist in reality. So instead of their correct address being "100 Main St, Apt 401", they send it to "100 Dontexist St, Apt 401". The clerks use to just return them to sender, until I told them although the street doesn't really exist, the people do live on my route. For the people who moved, I have to manually write in the correct change of address to get it forwarded.

-----------------
I apologize now...