SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Continuing Degeneration of the English Language
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Continuing Degeneration of the English Language Login/Join 
posted
For the life of me I can't understand how people continually adopt ever more frequent incorrect use of English.

People using "myself" and "yourself" instead of "me" and "you". Me is not a bad word, neither is you, and both are used properly as the object of a verb. Myself and yourself are the direct objects of one's own action.

"Please contact myself." No. "Please contact me." Correct.
"I sent a message to yourself." No. "I sent a message to you." Correct.

Then there's the nouns as verbs:

"I gifted him a magazine." No. "I gave him a magazine." Correct.

Then there's the use of past tense for no reason, preceded by just:

"I just wanted to ask you." No. OK so you wanted to, but now you don't? Do you want to ask me?

"I want to ask you" Correct.

Excessive use of "reach out" instead of "contact, call, send a message, etc."

So now every day I get an email from some vender that says:

"We just wanted to reach out to yourself about our response to the COVID19 Virus. We wanted to gift you extra discounts/credits/data this month."

It's amazing, you can actually watch the stupidity propagate like a cancer (or virus) from co-worker to co-worker.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So what do WE like for language standards?

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
After reading your op, I just wanted to reach out to you and see if you could gift myself a book on proper English.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
So what do WE like for language standards?

Wink

I just wanted to ask: Shouldn't that be "weself?" Or could yourself care less?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
After reading your op, I just wanted to reach out to you and see if you could gift myself a book on proper English.

I don't have the bandwidth for that.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Since you brought it up...

Another example of turning nouns into verbs that probably bothers me too much, “adulting.” Good Lord people, acting like a responsible adult now deserves to be made a verb?!?

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a commercial for Bayer saying "This is why we science". And other supplement company asking "Do you want to brain better?".

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Irregardless, I say's I won't disrespect you in the a.m.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to more than a few, here on the SigForum, I might very well be at the top of your egregious offender list , if so please tap on my forum name and add me to you "ignore" list. Problem solved.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

According to more than a few, here on theSigForum, I might very well be at the top of your egress offender list , if so please tap on my forum name and add me to you "ignore" list. Problem solved.
Nah, no ignore for bendable. You're a SIGforum icon, sir.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Strongly agree. I enjoy your posts.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
As a writer it drives me nuts. Only thing worse IMO, is when I do it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fo' shizzle!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Wuz Zup"?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just wanted to ask you.

I am guilty of saying it this way.
Heck I don't even know I am doin it.

All that money spent on on undergrad and grad studies has not done me any favors on my language skills.

My father notorious for it but there is no way in the world I would ever correct him. He is 75ish and he has a very Appalachia vocabulary and way of speaking.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
According to more than a few, here on the SigForum, I might very well be at the top of your egregious offender list , if so please tap on my forum name and add me to you "ignore" list. Problem solved.

Causal misuse and slang is one thing. Deliberate misuse in marketing or other formal business communication is another.

posted Hide Post
Oh, and if you ever receive a robocall that says "please cooperation to further the investigation" or similar wording, that is Hinglish from scammers in India.

posted Hide Post
Another one is "anymore"

"I only anymore use brass case ammo."

Do What??? Sounds like a bad ESL translation..

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Please to thank you very much.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
For the life of me I can't understand how people continually adopt ever more frequent incorrect use of English.

People using "myself" and "yourself" instead of "me" and "you". Me is not a bad word, neither is you, and both are used properly as the object of a verb. Myself and yourself are the direct objects of one's own action.

"Please contact myself." No. "Please contact me." Correct.
"I sent a message to yourself." No. "I sent a message to you." Correct.

Then there's the nouns as verbs:

"I gifted him a magazine." No. "I gave him a magazine." Correct.

Then there's the use of past tense for no reason, preceded by just:

"I just wanted to ask you." No. OK so you wanted to, but now you don't? Do you want to ask me?

"I want to ask you" Correct.

Excessive use of "reach out" instead of "contact, call, send a message, etc."

So now every day I get an email from some vender that says:

"We just wanted to reach out to yourself about our response to the COVID19 Virus. We wanted to gift you extra discounts/credits/data this month."

It's amazing, you can actually watch the stupidity propagate like a cancer (or virus) from co-worker to co-worker.
May I add "invite" to the list? As in "I sent him an invite".

And while I'm at it, the misuse of healthful for healthy is another. Healthy=state of fitness, healthful=nutritious. Apples are healthful, not healthy.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post