SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    WalMart neighbor market is 100% DIY checkout
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WalMart neighbor market is 100% DIY checkout Login/Join 
posted
My wife likes the store because it’s miles closer than others and is smaller and less crowded. They have slowly been doing away with manned registers in favor of self checkout. As of today, it’s 100% self service. 2 full grocery carts? Elderly customers? Too bad.

On top of that, they’ve created these serpentine approach aisles lined with crap kids always want candy and other junk.

Lunatics in search of the almighty dollar. Haven’t been in a big WM in a long time. Won’t be in a neighborhood market again either. I’ll drive the extra distance and pay higher prices at Publix. At least they treatyou like a real person. For now.

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They've converted our local Wal-Mart Supercenters to self-checkout only as well. Since Wal-Mart is headquartered here, they tend to use our local stores to test out new concepts and store layouts before they roll it out to all their stores.

So it probably won't just be Neighborhood Markets for long... It's most likely coming to all Wal-Mart stores eventually.

I do most of my grocery shopping at a locally owned grocery co-op, as well as at Aldi. I only venture to the Wal-Marts every month or two when I need something that isn't carried at these other stores and is tough/expensive to ship if bought online, including pressurized products like shaving cream or Coleman camping fuel cannisters.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Remember when gas stations pumped your gas?

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:

Nope, and I'm not that young. (Nearly 40.)

Except that one time when I went to Oregon for training, and got griped at by the gas station attendant when I got out of my rental car to pump my own, since self service is apparently against the law up there. (Who knew!) Same in New Jersey too, I believe.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh Bentonville. Mecca of the retail world lol. I used to call on Sams Club back in the early 90’s. It was rarely a pleasant experience

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:

....checked your oil, washed your windows and gave you a gift. That was service.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to do the work of the checkout person, I should get the employee discount.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

yep

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's irritating that big big wallymart has to cut cashiers at roughly $10 an hour, many without any benefits due to hours, just to keep feeding the big hungry cash devouring operation.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

And checked your oil and wiped your windshields..... YUP Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Ours is still self serve and cashier. Walmart has yet to solve the piferage problem which is increased with self serve. One person watching self serve is not gonna do it. I have the luxury of going at non peak times so I always use a cashier. Customer service has NEVER been important to Walmart.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The lowlifes will figure out a way to cheat them on that.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I went to self checkout at Walmart today. They reprogrammed the software. It now has a camera that watches you and it it thinks something isn’t scanned , it completely locks up and you have to wait for the employee to come unlock the computer . I was an extremely fast cashier in high school. I am way fast and faster than your average Walmart cashier. The computer locked up on me three times today. This is new... the software wasn’t there last week.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

And checked your oil and wiped your windshields..... YUP Big Grin

And your tire pressure, too.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I went to self checkout at Walmart today. They reprogrammed the software. It now has a camera that watches you and it it thinks something isn’t scanned , it completely locks up and you have to wait for the employee to come unlock the computer . I was an extremely fast cashier in high school. I am way fast and faster than your average Walmart cashier. The computer locked up on me three times today. This is new... the software wasn’t there last week.

We have this as well. While I was never a slide and scan cashier, I have years of warehouse experience with scanning barcodes. Plus most items if oriented with the top side up, the barcode will be easily scannable. So I’m pretty fast. Faster than a Walmart cashier, but nothing close to a fast Safeway or Costco cashier.

I had the same issue with it stopping me. Self checkout lady told me I need to slow down. She made it sound like the camera was cross referencing an image of the item, with the UPC, and the weight when it went on the scale/bagging area.

If the software is that advanced, I’m actually impressed. That’s one hell of a cross reference.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our has a couple cashiers but mostly self checkout. I don’t shop Walmart for much so I tolerate the self checkout. What I won’t tolerate is their new system of stopping you and checking your receipt. Fuck that. If you want to stop stealing quit being a cheap ass and hire more help. Line or not, I go around and when they ask for receipt I say “you have a nice day too” and keep walking. If you think I stole something call the cops or go fuck yourself. Once I’ve paid for it, it’s mine.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I like the self checkout if I have, say, under 10 items. If I have a cart load of shit becuase I'm hosting the drunken Irish relatives at my house there is no way I'm dealing with that.

One reason why I am REALLY loving the South. My local grocery store (Lowe's) always has a cashier and a bagger at each register. You just roll the cart up to them and they do everything else. It's great.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
$15 an hour requirements = automated cashier stations, its the future.

Prefer using self service checkout most of the time, especially when I have just a few items, in and out in record time.

Posts: 23400 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Something that I do not understand: With multiple self-service checkout lanes, more than half of them are usually closed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have these at our local Wal-Mart and what is so stupid is they have 4 employees standing there watching people to insure they scan everything in their cart......Why not just have them run the registers instead.....

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post