SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hertz Car Rental - $50 charge for cancellation 3 weeks before needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hertz Car Rental - $50 charge for cancellation 3 weeks before needed Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
I rented a car from Thrifty that apparently got moved to Hertz without my knowledge for a flight into Sky Harbor in Phoenix. I submitted the request 3 weeks before I was to arrive. 2 days later, I needed to move the rental to Phoenix-Mesa as Allegiant only flies there. I cancelled the Hertz car and went with National as Hertz doesn’t have a outlet at Masa.

I noticed, upon getting my credit card statement, that Hertz charged me $50 for reserving a car over 3 weeks ahead of my need and cancelling it 3 days later.

A call to a third world country was fruitless and a supervisor was not available.

I hate this stuff. Lesson learned. Never again, Hertz.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dispute it with your credit card company. Hertz might not talk to joy but they will talk to Visa. Maybe you win, maybe you don’t but 50 bucks is 50 bucks.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fifty dollars is worth pursuing. I have heard of charges for late cancellations, but the situation you describe seems unreasonable.

Dropping an email to the CEO is often helpful. These folks have people that can take care of problems like this. Complaining on Twitter is sometimes helpful.

Calls to third world countries are generally a waste of time, as you are speaking to someone who is reading from a script and has limited power or motivation to do anything.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the option of disputing the charge with your credit card company is a good choice as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If I understand your original post correctly, you never reserved a car with Hertz.

If this is true, I would absolutely dispute the charge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If I understand your original post correctly, you never reserved a car with Hertz.

If this is true, I would absolutely dispute the charge.

That is correct. My original booking was with Thrifty.

Thanks for all the advise.....I'm working on disbuting the charge now.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you book directly with the car rental agency? Or did you use a 3rd party booking site that aggregates all types of providers?

Lastly, did you pre-pay, perhaps unknowingly, because they offered a lower rate? I recall doing that a number of times? Pay now and forget about it and with a lower rate! But if you cancel or change times, you're SOL.

At least they should offer you a credit toward future rentals.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I booked directly with Thrifty. Apparently I partially prepaid as they charged my credit card $168 but only refunded $118.

I placed a dispute with my Chase card.Time will tell.

Mike