SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If You Are Too Afraid To Drive, STAY HOME!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You Are Too Afraid To Drive, STAY HOME! Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We should enforce the no blocking left lane laws, that should be a bigger points and $ fine than speeding because it's the number one cause of road rage and would reduce speeding as well as the lane changing right side passing that happens behind these self righteous drivers.

I'd prefer that the police ticket the drivers who camp out in the left lanes, blocking all traffic. It seems they think because they are doing the speed limit they have some kind of right to be there and damn all others, who obviously are wrong, oblivious to the fact that they are the ones who incite road rage in otherwise normal people.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, I can't stand all those people that drive slower/faster than me, in front/behind/next to me, or those driving vehicles bigger/smaller than mine. Those people that use their turn signals early/late/not at all really tick me off as well.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I don't want to hear a peep...a single peep...from people driving on all season tires in the snow complaining about others being "dangerous".

Snow tires make you no more invincible than does 4WD.

On my 4WD/AWD vehicles I usually put on all-season tires that are road/off-road "hybrids." A bit more aggressive than ordinary all-season tires, but not so aggressive/noisy as true off-road tires. I've found such tires to perform decently on the widest range of surface conditions, from dry pavement, to wet, to snow-covered or icy, to off-road. I usually choose a "softer" rubber, as opposed to longer-wearing. (Better on water and ice.)

Living in SE Michigan I've seen more than my share of snow. Sometimes very deep snow. I've never had a problem with all-season tires, or the tires I've been using on my 4WD/AWD vehicles.

It's more a case of knowing how to drive in the stuff than anything else. Secondly: 4WD/AWD and/or snow tires don't matter worth a damn if somebody else does something st00pid. Most of the reason I drive more cautiously in bad weather is not because I can't handle it, but more concern that those around me cannot.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snow tires make you no more invincible than does 4WD.

Invincible? No. More capable? Yes. This is another argument that I can't really stand. 4 wheel drive makes your ability to operate in slick conditions better than 2 wheel drive. Snow/ice tires make your ability to operate in slick conditions better than all seasons. I can drive my 4 wheel drive truck with ice rated tires on it faster, and just as safe, as a two wheel drive with all seasons on ice. Period.

We had an ice storm here last year. Took me 3 or 4 hours to make a 30 minute trip. Why? Because of all of those with all seasons and the lack of driving skills sliding around and hitting each other. Not being able to get traction to go up hills or get out of the way of those sliding down them.

I didn't have any traction problems. Instead of going 1/2 of 1 MPH on my drive home, I could have been going 20 or 30. Safely.

There are plenty of youtube videos of exotic performance cars ice racing. If a Lamborghini can drive on ice without wrecking, so can a station wagon. It just takes the proper equipment and skill.

I can't get ice tires for the new truck because they aren't made in that size. It does have traction tires instead of pavement tires, is heavy, and is 4 wheel drive. Haven't had it in the snow yet, but I suspect I'll have no issues getting home while everybody else is sliding off of the road, hitting other cars, getting stuck in drifts, etc.

And all of this is the original complaint of the OP. People who have no business being out on the road are out on it, causing unnecessary hazards for those of us who don't have any issues being out in it. You're right. It's not me I have to be worried about. It's the other guy who shouldn't be out driving in it. The same one who thinks I'm dangerous because I want to pass him to be as far away from his accident waiting to happen as possible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Ya, I can't stand all those people that drive slower/faster than me, in front/behind/next to me, or those driving vehicles bigger/smaller than mine. Those people that use their turn signals early/late/not at all really tick me off as well.

Finally someone I agree with!....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if I can leave 20 minutes earlier to drive at a safe speed , so can you , so there.

there is a 9 mile , two lane, state road , in too the big city .
speed limit is 55, but 60 m.p.h. is normal for 75% of the daily drivers.

I really really dislike following those that choose the 56 m.p.h. cruise control choice.

its not uncommon to see 14-16 cars backed up behind Mr. /Mrs.Caution

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I can leave 20 minutes earlier to drive at a safe speed , so can you , so there.

If I left 20 minutes earlier for each appointment I have to make in a day, I'd have to add 2 to 3 hours to my already 12 hour work day.

I'd just rather that people not be inconsiderate to those around them. If you can't drive it, park it. Let others get on with their day.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd just rather that people not be inconsiderate to those around them.

Agreed, however those folks are sitting there thinking how inconsiderate others are by not allowing them to be in control... LOL