SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Truck broken in to, pistol stolen...I'm mad at myself
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck broken in to, pistol stolen...I'm mad at myself Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Came home today from several days in Chicago for business. Walk out to the parking garage at Terminal D at DFW to drive home. When I travel I lock my keys in the truck and use the keypad to get in (always afraid I'll leave my keys somewhere while traveling). Today, got the sound you get when trying to unlock doors that are already unlocked. I'm 110% certain I locked them as I remember visually checking the door locks when leaving. Get in and realize that the VP9 that I keep in the truck is gone. Holster is still there, spare mag is still there, cash, sunglasses, hell the keys to the truck are all there, but the gun is gone. Turns out thieve shimmied a screw driver under the driver's side door handle to pop the lock (2005 F-150).

Mad at myself as I always lock the gun in the safe under the driver's seat, but this time I was running late and neglected to do it. Shame on me.

Made a report with the airport PD including serial #. Very little hope of recovery, says they've had a rash of similar incidents all apparently targeting firearms. Geez...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.

Just curious, was the pistol showing?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Lemme guess no video or security.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Sorry to hear.

Just curious, was the pistol showing?

No no no, buried in the center console.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have any identifying stickers on your truck, ie. NRA, IDPA, etc.?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Luckily this is a fairly new parking garage and does have a lot of cameras. Cops aren’t too hopeful, but there may be a better than average chance of identifying someone. The two that took my report were younger guys and seemed genuinely interested in trying to do something about it.

Complacency sucks…

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
Do you have any identifying stickers on your truck, ie. NRA, IDPA, etc.?

Nada. Was even joking about that with the cops. They said with the Ranchhand bumper and BFG All-Terrain tires it wouldn’t matter if I did. Said recently the thieves are targeting mostly trucks as they must figure more men have firearms in their vehicles than women and more men drive trucks than do women, so their odds of success are higher. Guess that means my next ride is a minivan...with rims.

Complacency sucks…

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Gotta be the rims! Wink

Posts: 9141 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it man. That sucks.

I used to keep a revolver in my truck when I traveled a lot. The area around the airport and along my drive home isn’t very good. Certainly not a place you’d want to break down at night in.

I kept it hidden in the spare tire area and locked up 24/7. They’d have to have bolt cutters to get it out. But that way I’d never leave it unlocked.

I recommend buying a gun specifically for your truck if you plan on continuing to leave one in there and keeping it locked unless you need it. That way you won’t leave an unsecured firearm around for someone to easily grab.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

And at best you get a photo of a average sized male with a hoodie pulled over his head.

The airport parking areas in the three NY/NJ areas have always been a target for car thieves. They know the owners won't be back for some time.

Most of the break-in's were random. +In and out in a minute hoping to get lucky.

Getting it into the NCIC Gun file as soon as possible in the best measure. At least if located they have the ability to track the owner down.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Truck broken in to, pistol stolen

Shocker, they always leave the pistol behind! Eek

Truck guns are far more effective when they are in your waistband as your EDC. Easier to use to defend yourself and easier to not have stolen.

On the rare occasions I've left a weapon in the car, I usually put it in the trunk under the spare tire.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Truck guns are far more effective when they are in your waistband as your EDC.
Especially when going through airport security, as OP was doing!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Leaving a firearm unsecured in a vehicle is a bad idea. Not only because you lose it, but also because it will be used in a crime later on. I don't understand people leaving handguns or long guns in their vehicles unless they are secured in a strong box of some type. Even then, if they are leaving the vehicle unattended for several days it's a gamble.

We probably have 10+ guns taken a day like this in my city. That's an educated guess, it may be high or low, but it's not hyperbole. And it's 100% preventable.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, I’m in the area and am a FFL/SOT. I’ll help you replace your VP9 for cost if it helps. Good luck!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Truck broken in to, pistol stolen

Shocker, they always leave the pistol behind! Eek

The one time my car was broken into when I didn't have my a gun in a gun vault the thieves stole everything BUT my Model 66 2.5". It was in a zippered gun rug under the driver's seat. When I came out and found the car door ajar (it had been locked) the first thing I looked for was the S&W... the case was unzipped and the gun was sideways under the flap.
The police said they were aware of this crew (7 other cars and trucks were broken into that evening along that same street) and they were only after stuff and never stole firearms. They surmised these bastards didn't want the enhanced charges that they could face if caught.
I NEVER have left a gun in (carried) or locked in a vault since. This happened in 1980 in Seattle.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it, that sucks. I've walked out to my car to see it gone through far too many times to even ever consider leaving a gun or any gun related items in it, ever. As a matter of fact, my center console, glove box and ashtray were all pulled out the day after Halloween with the passenger door left open as the mosts recent example, and a few months before that also.

I think some fucking shithead in the neighborhood has a Mazda master key as both my vehicle and the wife's keep getting hit without setting off the factory alarm.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
The two that took my report were younger guys and seemed genuinely interested in trying to do something about it.
Those two are the likely culprits then. The guilty ones are always the most willing to help sabotage you.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
The two that took my report were younger guys and seemed genuinely interested in trying to do something about it.
Those two are the likely culprits then. The guilty ones are always the most willing to help sabotage you.

So, are you accusing the cops of being the thieves? Not sure if serious. Confused

Q

Posts: 26340 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

And at best you get a photo of a average sized male with a hoodie pulled over his head.

Hoodie always = criminal in my first thought.
I'll have my hand near my revolver if I see someone with their hood up.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your firearm loss. I have a console safe for my truck gun but if I'm leaving my vehicle parked some where for any extended period of time, that firearm is taken out and left at home. A well placed crowbar will open any vehicle safe most rickytick! Would never, I mean NEVER leave a firearm in an unlocked compartment in my vehicle.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post