SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Beagles and hounds are cute, but they're not great "neighborhood" dogs.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beagles and hounds are cute, but they're not great "neighborhood" dogs. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
At least, that is, the ones in my neighborhood.

It's not the dog's fault, entirely. It's in the beagle's nature to bark at any other dog going by. I get that. And when that dog and his walker have passed, the beagle gets quiet again. My primary grouch is with the neighbor who does absolutely nothing to calm/quiet/relax his or her howling, yorping, screeching bundle of cuteness. Along about 9 or 10pm, it's time to have some quiet in the neighborhood.

My second grouch is with the neighbor whose response to "can you quiet that dog, man?" is "Shut the f*** up! Come over here and say that to me!"

A lovely individual, he is... not. Roll Eyes There's no "neighborly" way to work with him. At all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Does your town have nuisance laws? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It does.

I have them printed, and am about to share a copy with Mister Pottymouth. Wink

Thing is, I'll have to mail it to him -- dealing with him face-to-face is a proven no-go. (I'm not the only one in town who's learned this.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor's son brought a Boxer mix home with him about a year and a half ago and then moved out. Guess he decided his Mom could take of it.
Not a hound or a Beagle but she'd tie him out at night and he'd bark non stop. Pretty sure he was scared as I'm out in the country and there's no street lamps around.
I went over and nicely asked if she could not let him outside for so long barking. Got an earful.
Didn't last as he got loose one day and attacked my other neighbor's chickens, in his yard, and was shot.
Didn't like the neighbor lady but felt sorry for the dog.
If there is any kind of noise ordinance where you live, possibly contact law enforcement?

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9740036164

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Yes, Johnny, I'm grouching again.

This time it comes with the added bonus of a really rotten/rude neighbor. Big Grin

God bless America.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Do you have a gang of intoxicated seals in your back yard, or is that your damned hound doggies again...?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Ohh, that's a great one, sigmonkey!

God bless America.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
One of my friends lives out in the country. But he has neighbors maybe a quarter mile away. One has a dog that just likes to bark. His solution is to go out on the patio and shoot a shotgun. Within seconds they bring the dog inside.

I can't understand why everyone else in the valley hears the dog, but the owner can't.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As someone that owns 2 of the critters, I can certainly sympathize. Barking at anything on all fours with a pulse is hardwired in Big Grin Obviously, your neighbor being an asshat is hardwired in and is the real root of the problem.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
It does.

I have them printed, and am about to share a copy with Mister Pottymouth. Wink

Thing is, I'll have to mail it to him -- dealing with him face-to-face is a proven no-go. (I'm not the only one in town who's learned this.)

I might not that however, in San Diego if three residence complain its considered an issue.

We had some jackhole decide a rooster would be great. It never shut up - EVER. Street lights reminded that damn bird the neighborhood was too quiet.

After a month I approached every neighbor on my street (the bird was one or two streets over). One complaint with 15 people signing on fixed the issue within a couple weeks.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
As someone that owns 2 of the critters, I can certainly sympathize.
[snip]
your neighbor being an asshat is hardwired in and is the real root of the problem.

Exactly.

I have to admit, the beagles right next door don't annoy me as much as the hound two doors down. Maybe it's because my neighbors next door are a good, pleasant, likeable family. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I approached every neighbor on my street (the bird was one or two streets over). One complaint with 15 people signing on fixed the issue within a couple weeks.

This is very tempting, and I've considered starting with the family whose back yard adjoins his.

Something else I just realized... one of our neighbors is police officer in the town next door.
I wonder if talking with that neighbor first would be of any use.

- - - -

Gee, whiz, that hound is yorping as I type this.... Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I can't understand why everyone else in the valley hears the dog, but the owner can't.
I call it dog deafness.

It is closely related to child deafness which is a protective measure that allows many parents to mentally turn down the volume on their screaming kids so as not to risk the involvement of CPS when the parent snaps their last nerve.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:My second grouch is with the neighbor whose response to "can you quiet that dog, man?" is "Shut the f*** up! Come over here and say that to me!"

A lovely individual, he is... not. Roll Eyes There's no "neighborly" way to work with him. At all.

Nice.

I would walk the fence on responding to that. Meaning: the P239 on my hip would stop me from being anything more provocative than just a wry smile and a look that can only mean 'bless your heart' or 'I hope the food in the slammer isn't as bad as they say'.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
'bless your heart'

Oh, how I wish I had thought of that phrase at the time... Big Grin

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, my neighbors next door are moving. That stinks, as they're good people and their kids are a bunch of fun.

Bright side: the beagles will go with them.

Now if I could get them to take their neighbor's hound with them....

God bless America.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has two of em... but you'd swear there were five or six at least. Big Grin

I like the sound actually, but they only go bonkers about once a day at most, so it's not a problem.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My old plott had what they call a “bawling chop” of a bark/bay. I loved hearing it, but I always had to shut her in at Halloween- sounded just like you’d imagine a hellhound.
I’m not a fan of beagles or their barking. Nothing personal at all, just not my breed.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Long ago, like 50 years almost, I was a bad boy. Well, I liked fireworks, the big, illegal kind. I was newly married and my wife worked 2nd shift. So there I sat, looking for trouble so to speak. The guy downstairs and in the opposite corner, also liked being bad. His wife was a waitress and also worked evening. So looking for something to do, he knocked on my door with a 12 pack. So as we sat trying to kill the beer, I told him about my ill spent youth.

One story included slinging M80s with a slingshot. He said "I've got a slingshot". Oh, I lived on the 4th floor. He ran back to his apartment and returned with the evil thing. All the while I was digging out the few fireworks I had. So out on the deck we went.

The first shot went well, sailing the thing out over the nearby woods. It made a satisfying boom, and it was far enough away as to give no real indication of its source. Great. The 2nd one didn't go so well.

The fuse lit just great, but then the rubber band on the sling shot broke. So there we were on a small deck with a burning fuse. He was quick on his feet. He did a soccer kick and it was out over space. Then it fell to the ground, still harmless. But its time was limited and it went off with a roar, like a hand grenade.

The ground floor was occupied by a girl, Kay. She had a hound dog. She was also deaf to it yowling at night. Or just to lazy to bring it inside. After that, the dog wasn't let out at night. Solved the problem nicely.

We didn't get blamed for the bombing, Dennis Royalty right below me did. He'd complained a few times. We never told him or her who the bad guys really were, but the problem was solved.

I even have/had a noise maker. It was silent to human ears. It was supposed to quiet a barking dog (mine). It didn't do that, but would make all the dogs in the neighborhood bark. Smile Even a failed product has a use. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post