SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple pie - where's the apple?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple pie - where's the apple? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You shop at Whole Foods. That is the problem! The apple pies at The Fresh Market have lots of apples in them!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I actually don't buy a lot there. Actually, I only go there for the seafood. It's fresher there and they have a better selection and they have whole fish. Seafood is better there than other local markets.

But that's about all I buy there. Certainly not pie anymore Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
And green chile.
Eek

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I actually don't buy a lot there. Actually, I only go there for the seafood. It's fresher there and they have a better selection and they have whole fish. Seafood is better there than other local markets.

But that's about all I buy there. Certainly not pie anymore Smile

I agree. A bit spendy..... but it's fresh....Try some of their seafood chowders......the ones on the hot soup bar from Keys fisheries. They have a stone crab chowder that is excellent as well as a corn and crab chowder also excellent.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you can find some Northern Spy's they make a fantastic pie,

I usually find some at Greenwood Gourmet Grocery, on 250 just outside Crozet

I will check them out. It is still too early for local apples except Ginger Gold which ripens the end of August.

Also there is the old packing shed, now Rockfish Country Store at the foot of the mountain. I haven't been in there in years.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
If you have Amazon Prime, I wonder what the return policy is for slightly used but wholly unsatisfying Whole Foods pies?

(hint: Amazon bought out Whole Foods)

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Many years ago when we lived in the Chicago area, we used to buy ready-to-bake fruit pies in the local grocery stores. The brand was Chef Pierre.

Once they were baked, they were not really pretty to look at, as they would tend to fall apart when you cut them for serving. Not pretty at all, but they were the very best tasting store-bought pies I had ever encountered.

Consumer Reports rated them # 1, stating that they would fall apart because they had no gelatin or filler glueing them together; the filling for these fruit pies was primarily fruit!

They were really delicious. I have not found that brand for sale here in Florida, but this thread inspired me to do a little search. The company appears to still be active, they have a website, and I just used the "Contact Us" form to inquire about where to buy their products in the Orlando area.

Chef Pierre made THEE most wonderful apple dumpling. A little vanilla ice cream and heaven was within reach.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
quote:
Many years ago when we lived in the Chicago area, we used to buy ready-to-bake fruit pies in the local grocery stores. The brand was Chef Pierre.

Once they were baked, they were not really pretty to look at, as they would tend to fall apart when you cut them for serving. Not pretty at all, but they were the very best tasting store-bought pies I had ever encountered.

Consumer Reports rated them # 1, stating that they would fall apart because they had no gelatin or filler glueing them together; the filling for these fruit pies was primarily fruit!

They were really delicious. I have not found that brand for sale here in Florida, but this thread inspired me to do a little search. The company appears to still be active, they have a website, and I just used the "Contact Us" form to inquire about where to buy their products in the Orlando area.
Chef Pierre made THEE most wonderful apple dumpling. A little vanilla ice cream and heaven was within reach.
Not a fan of vanilla ice cream here, but some regular cream is great, or a wedge of cheddar cheese.

This thread inspired me to do an internet search for Chef Pierre. Found their website and contacted them to find out where their products are sold in the Orlando area. No joy. They don't do retail any more. They do institutional supply. Maybe I can have myself declared some sort of ... no, that won't work. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Sharp Shopper had the Chef Pierre pies this week. The unbaked apple was $2.99. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I never heard of "Sharp Shopper." Googled, looks like all the locations are in PA and VA. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You could fly up to the Waynesboro Airport and have Sharp Shopper bring over a few cases.

http://www.eaglesnest.aero/

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never heard of "Sharp Shopper." Googled, looks like all the locations are in PA and VA. Frown

don't feel bad, i live in VA and I never heard of them either.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How on earth can a pie that weighs 2lbs 4 ounce for $1.99 beans good at all?????

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They buy over runs of products. They have Cheez It for $1.49, lean ground turkey 93/7% for $1.69 which sells for $4.00+ at other places.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I got an apple pie from Costco today. Slightly smaller in size than the average manhole cover and loaded with apples. It had perhaps just a little too much cinnamon but was very good.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
This is the one I make for the holidays. Yes, it can be difficult for me, but IT LOOKS LIKE THE PICTURE!

Best-ever apple pie

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I know what you mean. I stopped at KFC for lunch one day and had a small portion of their "apple pie" along with my chicken. The filling was a single slice of apple along with some sort of gelatinous slime that may or may not have been of Earthly origin.

^^^^^^^^
Apple Omega

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post