SIGforum
Apple pie - where's the apple?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5260038924

September 02, 2017, 10:38 PM
konata88
Apple pie - where's the apple?
Ok, with all the crap that's going on around the US and the world, this is most definitely a first world problem and not even worth mentioning. I feel a little bad about even posting this.

Bought an apple pie at Whole Foods. Cut out a slice. Seriously, I could count the number of pieces of apple in the slice. And I'm pretty sure that number should be more than 3.

8" pie and I'm pretty sure they probably used at most 1 apple for the whole pie. Seriously? How can you call that a pie, let alone an apple pie. It should have apples in it. I had more apple in my fritter this morning.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
September 02, 2017, 10:42 PM
Johnny 3eagles
An apple a day keeps the doctor away?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
September 02, 2017, 11:14 PM
Rustpot
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Sounds like proper logic to justify eating the whole pie.
September 02, 2017, 11:18 PM
I know what you mean so I usually make my own.

When making the crust, I use half olive oil and water. In the old days, we used Crisco.

This past week, they had a new crop of Ginger Gold which was an apple that originated from Nelson County.

The DNA was tested and it is a cross of Golden Delicious and Albemarle Pippin and some other unknown variety. The apple was named after the guys wife. They had these at the Asian market, Lottes Plaza.

While they are an early apple, they don't keep very long but are larger that Golden Delicious.

September 03, 2017, 06:20 AM
Fredward
I have had really good experiences with Mrs. Smith's frozen apple pie and crisps. Pre-made but you bake them. Packed with good stuff.
September 03, 2017, 06:28 AM
MNSIG
I know what you mean. I stopped at KFC for lunch one day and had a small portion of their "apple pie" along with my chicken. The filling was a single slice of apple along with some sort of gelatinous slime that may or may not have been of Earthly origin.
September 03, 2017, 08:05 AM
zoom6zoom
There's two tips that make a better apple pie.

First, use at least two kinds of apples. You want one that will cook down, plus another that remains firmer.

Secondly, precook the filling a bit, this removes some water to make the filling thicker and also helps keep the bottom crust from getting soggy.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
September 03, 2017, 08:28 AM
OKCGene
Where's the beef? https://youtu.be/Ug75diEyiA0
September 03, 2017, 08:46 AM
flesheatingvirus
Always make it yourself. They aren't difficult, plus you can add as much Dutch topping as you want. And green chile.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
September 03, 2017, 05:00 PM
229DAK
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
...also helps keep the bottom crust from getting soggy.

Do you blind bake your crust first?

September 03, 2017, 05:03 PM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

But what if you need the doctor?
September 04, 2017, 12:57 AM
zoom6zoom
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
...also helps keep the bottom crust from getting soggy.

Do you blind bake your crust first?

only for single crust pies

September 04, 2017, 09:23 AM
mindustrial
And, I like my apples a little on the more firm/crunchy side, not processed into oblivion.

Yup, homemade only. Aunt has an apple tree, she should be buy soon.
September 04, 2017, 09:32 AM
V-Tail
Many years ago when we lived in the Chicago area, we used to buy ready-to-bake fruit pies in the local grocery stores. The brand was Chef Pierre.

Once they were baked, they were not really pretty to look at, as they would tend to fall apart when you cut them for serving. Not pretty at all, but they were the very best tasting store-bought pies I had ever encountered.

Consumer Reports rated them # 1, stating that they would fall apart because they had no gelatin or filler glueing them together; the filling for these fruit pies was primarily fruit!

They were really delicious. I have not found that brand for sale here in Florida, but this thread inspired me to do a little search. The company appears to still be active, they have a website, and I just used the "Contact Us" form to inquire about where to buy their products in the Orlando area.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 04, 2017, 02:59 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I know what you mean so I usually make my own.

When making the crust, I use half olive oil and water. In the old days, we used Crisco.

This past week, they had a new crop of Ginger Gold which was an apple that originated from Nelson County.

The DNA was tested and it is a cross of Golden Delicious and Albemarle Pippin and some other unknown variety. The apple was named after the guys wife. They had these at the Asian market, Lottes Plaza.

While they are an early apple, they don't keep very long but are larger that Golden Delicious.

if you can find some Northern Spy's they make a fantastic pie,

I usually find some at Greenwood Gourmet Grocery, on 250 just outside Crozet

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

September 05, 2017, 03:43 PM
CoolRich59
Semi rant:

True story.

I pull into the drive-thru at the local donut shop and ask "Do you take Apple Pay"?

A woman with a heavy Indian accent answers "Yes. We have apple pie".

"No," I say chuckling, "I mean Apple PAY. The payment service. Do you have it?"

"Yes. We have apple pie."

"OK. Never mind."

I pull up to the window where the nice lady gives it another try: "Are you sure you don't want some apple pie? It's very good." Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
September 05, 2017, 07:04 PM
zoom6zoom
quote:

Replace half the water with vodka. It will provide the same moisture, with out the water which will cause more gluten formation. this will give you a flakier crust. But i'd still use lard or solid coconut oil over oil... it's the pockets of this that create more flakiness and tenderness in your crust.

September 05, 2017, 08:11 PM
mkueffer
I was spoiled last week with my aunt stopping by and making one from scratch, crust and all from my apple tree, apples were a a bit tart raw, but cooked in the pie they were great.

A few Sigs and some others
September 06, 2017, 11:57 AM
HRK
I'm loving it...

September 06, 2017, 12:37 PM
Suppressed
I make my apple pies with the Pillsbury crust that you buy in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. If you brush the top of the pie with a light egg wash, it turns out nice and flaky. Apple pie is easy to make.