SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Get off my bumper!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get off my bumper! Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got a commercial pickup passing me on a blind double yellow curve, only to make a right turn less that a quarter mile away and I was already going 60 in a 35.

I got a good dash camera shot of the logo, phone number, tag and DOT number on the back.

No, I did not call his boss, I submitted everything to the insurance carrier. They were VERY interested in the video of the unsafe driving.

All that information is readily available from the DOT number on the back.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I got a commercial pickup passing me on a blind double yellow curve, only to make a right turn less that a quarter mile away and I was already going 60 in a 35.

I got a good dash camera shot of the logo, phone number, tag and DOT number on the back.

No, I did not call his boss, I submitted everything to the insurance carrier. They were VERY interested in the video of the unsafe driving.

All that information is readily available from the DOT number on the back.
You can get insurance information from the DOT number?

I did not know that. Would you care to share the method for getting this information with us?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
People should take some real driving classes and see how long it takes to stop a car completely from highway speeds. Even in performance cars with fantastic brakes and a dry surface, the distance is quite long. I doubt that would slow them down though. I hate that you see them coming and you both know they are going to pass you, but they dramatically get right up your rump before cutting over instead of just moving over and passing at a good distance. Kind of like an eff you for being in their way.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can get insurance information from the DOT number?

Indeed you can. It's part of the public record seeing that you have to file that information with the government.

That said, insurance companies would have ZERO interest in some random person calling to self report some traffic issue that they perceived to be a problem. They would be interested in accidents and citations issued by law enforcement.

Driving records matter. Public opinion not so much. Some of the larger companies use the toll free "don't like the way I'm driving" stickers with a toll free number and vehicle ID. Those complaints may find their way into a driver's file with the company.

Should you have a legitimate need (aside from harassment) to look up a DOT number you can do so here. You should already know the name of the company as that would appear near the DOT number:

https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx

This will pull up the basic information. The name/address of the company, number of trucks, etc.

You can then click on the MC number and that will take you to a screen where you can open a report that will detail information included on the MCS-150. Insurance information will be there.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
People should take some real driving classes and see how long it takes to stop a car completely from highway speeds. Even in performance cars with fantastic brakes and a dry surface, the distance is quite long. I doubt that would slow them down though. I hate that you see them coming and you both know they are going to pass you, but they dramatically get right up your rump before cutting over instead of just moving over and passing at a good distance. Kind of like an eff you for being in their way.

Yes. Many people, dare I say, particularly women, have no concept of the physics involved with a 4000 lb automobile traveling at 70 mph.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just go onto youtube and watch a few "car crash" videos!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I saw a sticker on a car a few minutes ago, exactly as follows, with no punctuation.

It's a no-brainer
Dont't tailgate
Stupid

Am I awful for thinking, "Well, Stupid, get out of people's way!" ? Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post