SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's with Toyota/Lexus styling?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with Toyota/Lexus styling? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
Every car has these scowling eye headlights and gaping mouth grilles, like an evil fish, or the Predator movie character. Roll Eyes

2019 Yaris:

2019 Camry:

2019 Lexus ES350:

Mazda started this circa the mid-2000s. This is a 2013 MX-5/Miata.

At least Mazdas looked happy.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I hate that Lexus grille. Since so many well-off women from Windermere drive them here, we call it the "bitch pinch."

The Camry is the least objectionable. The Yaris looks like a bass.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Separated at birth? Who had worn it better?

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I hate that Lexus spittoon...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
2019 Corolla:

It looks like the central controller of the Cylons or something.

In fairness to the Yaris, it looks much better (discounting the front end) than older models, and has a much better styled interior. (This is going by pictures; I haven't looked at any cars personally.) Consumer Reports actually rates it pretty highly, also stating that it is built by Mazda.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The trapezoid grille has been part of the look for a long long time. I think they went with it seeing the 97 F150 and others having a sensible grille design wider at the top than the bottom.

Don't like it. Like Lexus, though.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
To me, these grill treatments resemble stylized train cow catchers.
I am not a fan of them

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I like the Taco grill. It's the best looking part of the current-gen Tacoma.

The current Lexus, Yaris, & Camry grills are fugly.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I learned this a couple of months ago during a nice long chat with a representative at the local Lexus dealer:

The new Lexus grille is often referred to as "the spindle." It's an homage, if you will, to Toyota's founder's father.

In about 1937, Toyota Motor Corporation was founded by Kiichiro Toyoda -- it was a spinoff from his father's company. Kiichiro's father, Sakichi Toyoda, was an inventor well known for founding Toyoda Automatic Loom Works. Sakichi developed the automatic power loom. Looms use spools (aka: spindles) to feed the strands into the machine.

The new grille is sort of a salute to Sakichi Toyoda, and the contributions made to Japanese industry by him and his son.

Autoevolution mentions the spindle grille very briefly in an article from 2014.

Lexus is very aware that not everyone likes this grille.

The "spindle" design decision wasn't one made flippantly.

Many like it (sales are up lately) and many don't, but it'll be around for a while.

Yes, the Lexus design carries over to Toyota.

And get this: there's there's a bigger version in the works on the upcoming LM van. (Click here for a pic. )

More about Sakichi Toyoda here.

Yes, I'm a bit of a car geek. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

The current Lexus, Yaris, & Camry grills are fugly.

+1

I like the Tacos and Tundras these days. The old Tundra, with that rounded look, was soooo vanilla.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
i'd call that a lack of creativity in design myself.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Styling has never been Toyota's forte, they must be doing something else right.

The Tacos have been their only vehicle to come close, they've always seemed to have a unique stance. Well, until they got too big but even then, better than most of the other Toyota offerings.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Japanese companies seem to have a fetish of having some freakish, over-the-top style of grill or other part of the car, then insist on sticking with it for years despite howls of hate from their (often former) customers.
Acura did this starting with the original CL concept with the car having a stylized arrow designed into the front and back, then continued this in the TL to look like someone hit the back with a stick.
Then there was the snaggletooth grill, which they kept for years and finally abandoned I think last year or so.
Meanwhile they dropped the nice styled 2005 TL model for the "hit-with-an-ugly-stick" one.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, my wife had the Lexus 300 SUV and loved it. She refuses to buy a current one because she hates the grill.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Toyota is losing their way. They are 100% incapable of building a sporty Toyota on their own. Sadly they have to outsource talent for sporty cars and even then they still don’t look great. The 86 is ok but the new Supra is an ugly, infuriating piece of shit and a big middle finger to former Supra owners like myself who loved what the Supra was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Those stupid MF’s at Toyota thought this should wear the Supra badge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Pachinko

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

Funny you say that. The grill immediately made me think of Billy the Big Mouth Bass and is one of the reasons I ended up with my Cherokee.

It was just too ugly for me.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
What came to mind for me when looking at those front ends is how far removed we are from the “5 mph bumper standard” of the nine year period from ‘73-‘82. Those cars all look like they would take serious damage in a low speed fender bender. Don’t get me wrong, I hated the bumper regulation, but I thought all cars were required to have SOME kind of bumper.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
i'd call that a lack of creativity in design myself.

Maybe, maybe not. But have no fear, Toyota more than makes up for it in durability and quality.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Their cars all look like they were designed by animè cartoonists, to me.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post