SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Eyeglasses and the legal system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eyeglasses and the legal system Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
The prescription is the most noticeable but not the most import part of the exam. They also check for glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, and diabetic eye disease - just off the top of my head.

Should it be a legal requirement, though? It does parallel the rest of our health care - I can only get so many refills of my meds before I have to see a doctor to have the prescriptions renewed. That's also a legal requirement.

My employer based insurance doesn't cover eye exams. While a basic exam for glasses costs $150 in my area, every medical item they check results in another charge code and that exam quickly increases to over $400. The incentive now is to say I just want glasses not to check anything else.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

a basic exam for glasses costs $150 in my area, every medical item they check results in another charge code and that exam quickly increases to over $400.
Wow! I just wanted some El Cheapo glasses for desk work, lined bifocals, upper portion intermediate distance for computer monitor, lower portion for reading.

Did not want / need anything fancy so I went to a low-price chain place. Exam was free if I bought the glasses there. Two pair in cheap frames, less than a hundred bucks total, exam and glasses.

But wait, that's not all! You're a veteran? That gets a discount. If I remember correctly my out-the-door cost was around seventy bucks. Can't beat that with a stick!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is the law in every state I have experience with. Usually a prescription for glasses is valid for 12 months.

That must not be the case in California. I just ordered a new pair of glasses off a prescription that's 7 years old. I did state that the glasses were intended for home use only, so perhaps that's a loophole; however, while ordering those, I also got a new set of driving lenses for my current frames off a prescription that's 24 months old.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I lost my backup, backup pair in boating incident in March. Seriously, true story. Fortunately due to the VID, I was able to get an appointment for an eye exam two months later in May.

Also fortunate that my kids were doing school at home and nothing was open, so I didn't have to drive anywhere except Publix and Target every other day for my 1 pound allotment of ground beef, 1 dozen eggs, and 4 rolls of toilet paper. I could drive to those places in the dark with my eyes closed. Jedi got nothing on me.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see both sides. People often expect to get things for free at the doctor but not at the grocery store. I have worn glasses my entire life and never had this issue, but I do not own a boat.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post