SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Eyeglasses and the legal system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eyeglasses and the legal system Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
Friday night at work I was wiping my glasses down for the 100th time (with all the mask wearing and crummy weather, this has become a huge, horrible part of my life), and they broke in half at the nosepiece. Thankfully, I carry my old pair in the car as a spare, but they are about 7 years old, and really suck. The world doesn't give a shit about those of us who work nights and weekends, so I had to wait until today during the day, when I was supposed to be sleeping, to call the eye place about getting a replacement set.

What I wanted was for them to just use my old prescription and order me a new pair exactly like my old ones. Well, it's been 3 years since my last exam (my eyes haven't changed...there's been no need to go back), and I was informed that since glasses are "medical devices", ordering them without a current prescription is a violation of state law. WTF, over? Why is there a law about this? They're fucking eyeglasses, not methadone!

I've been feeling sick all weekend, and just found out yesterday that my Sgt. tested positive for COVID, so I had to go in this afternoon myself to get tested. I told the guy this, and he told me that I could not come in for an exam right now. He did agree to order me a set of replacement frames and mail them to me. So now the eye place loses out on a sale of new lenses, and I get to transfer my old scratched up lenses into a new pair of frames instead of having a nice new clean pair....which means that I won't be able to see as well as I would have if they'd just ordered me a new set. How is this logical or better in any way?

Somewhere some shithead politician is patting himself on the back today because his legislation is saving the world from the travesties of prescription eyewear abuse Roll Eyes.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is the law in every state I have experience with. Usually a prescription for glasses is valid for 12 months.

I can think of the reasons for it. I am sure there are some stubborn fucks out there who might go three years without an eye exam and then just order a new pair without any real way of evaluating of whether their prescription has changed, but maybe you don't know anyone like that.

Maybe the optometrists just have a really good lobby.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Why is there a law about this?

There's no good reason for a law about this.

Think of all the things that are legal to buy that can be bad for us (tobacco, alcohol, etc.) We are supposed to be able to use our judgment on those. But no, you can't on your own judgment on eyeglass prescriptions. Roll Eyes

I could see a store saying, "Our returns and guarantees policies aren't valid if you don't have a current prescription" but that's the absolute limit of reasonableness. It's not the state's concern.

It's your money. Why do we need professional politicians to keep you from getting what you want, instead of mandating you can only buy what they 'feel' you need?

I could see politicians having time to address the heartbreak of outdated eyeglass prescriptions if they had no larger issues to address - idle hands and all that. But as things stand, it's guaranteed that effort going into trashing stale optical prescriptions could/should have gone to better policy-making instead.

Follow-the-money analysis would suggest the optician/opthamalogy lobby, but that wouldn't be possible without politicians wanting to show how much better they think than the public.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Zenni Optical. Order new glasses online. They don’t ask how old your Rx is. I’ve been buying glasses from Zenni for over 10 years.

https://www.zennioptical.com/

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can think of the reasons for it. I am sure there are some stubborn fucks out there who might go three years without an eye exam and then just order a new pair without any real way of evaluating of whether their prescription has changed, but maybe you don't know anyone like that.

I was just at my family doctor last month for a physical, and passed the eye exam 20/10 in both eyes, corrected with my current (well, I guess now former) glasses. I don't need to pay some eye doctor $85 to tell me the same thing, then write me a permission slip to get new lenses. That's just stupid.

And really, what's the problem if somebody does? Isn't that their choice? Who are they hurting but themselves? So long as they can pass the eye exam at the BMV when they renew their license, why should the state care?

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Somewhere some shithead politician is patting himself on the back today"

Nah. He's putting on his new glasses...

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's the same way with contact lenses.

I've had the same contact lens prescription for the past 15ish years. Rx has yet to change one bit.

Every year I have to pay to go get a new eye exam (with an extra upcharge because it's a contact lens exam), just to get a new prescription so I can order another annual supply of the same damn contacts I've been wearing for over a decade.

At least with glasses, you don't have to get a new set until they break or your eyes change.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You might also try sportrx.com. They made a C19 exception on prescription age for me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nah. He's putting on his new glasses...

Ok, I'll admit it, this made me laugh Big Grin.

As to ordering them online, that's not a bad idea. Unfortunately I don't have a record of my scrip...something I should probably correct the next time I have an exam.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Zenni for the yup. I get my free exam every year, via insurance and order at least two pair from Zenni. Two pairs of wireless frames, all coatings with one pair having auto tinting for about $60

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zenni optical

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In California, eyeglass prescriptions are good for 24 months, and contact prescriptions are good for 12 months.

If you have Costco available, get a new prescription, then go and get TWO pair of glasses. They usually give you a discount on the 2nd pair. I've done this for both myself and my father.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's the same way with contact lenses.

I've had the same contact lens prescription for the past 15ish years. Rx has yet to change one bit.

Every year I have to pay to go get a new eye exam (with an extra upcharge because it's a contact lens exam), just to get a new prescription so I can order another annual supply of the same damn contacts I've been wearing for over a decade.

At least with glasses, you don't have to get a new set until they break or your eyes change.

Couldn't you just buy in 'bulk' , within reason with expiration dates? And just go every 2-3 years for an Rx renewal.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
It's great to know that the government is saving us from out of date prescription optics. I will sleep well this evening knowing that the scourge of a old optics is abated.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is the law in every state I have experience with. Usually a prescription for glasses is valid for 12 months.

I am one of those "stubborn fucks" you are referring to.

Why? Because I have artificial lenses in my eyes and the Rx doesn't change. NO reason to cause me to pay more just to replace frames and lenses when they get scratched.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous nonsense provides employment to a whole coven of idiots who have no real ability to produce anything.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prescription is the most noticeable but not the most import part of the exam. They also check for glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, and diabetic eye disease - just off the top of my head.

Should it be a legal requirement, though? It does parallel the rest of our health care - I can only get so many refills of my meds before I have to see a doctor to have the prescriptions renewed. That's also a legal requirement.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also check for glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, and diabetic eye disease -

And every swinging dick and any one that's a chick, should decide if that is something they want to spend their money on, to have checked.

I do not require anyone to spend my money for me, nor see if I wiped my ass enough.

(getthegovernmentthehelloffmylawn.com)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True the requirement sucks, but you should have an eye exam every year anyway. Many health issues can be discovered by a thorough exam.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Somewhere some shithead politician is patting himself on the back today"

Nah, "Somewhere some shithead politician is stuffing his wallet today"

FIFY

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post