SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Squirrels - How do they know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrels - How do they know? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
They are rats with good PR.

Exactly. I refer to them as "rats in fur coats".

My line has always been, that a squirrel is nothing but a rat with a press agent.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Little bastards are chewing on the edges of my fiberglass pads that the outdoor AC units sit on.

Sprayed the edges with rubber undercoating this morning. let's see how they like the taste of that shit!!!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Got the little bastige this afternoon.

I've been lugging my Single Six with me every time I've even gone near the chicken coop since I posted that message and he finally screwed up and was sitting on the roost chittering at me when I opened the door to collect eggs.

Of course, one of his 1,983,261 cousins will no doubt fill in for him.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is they torment my dogs by throwing acorns at them from the trees when the dogs are outside!

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've had a major chipmunk problem the past couple of years. Cute little bastards, but they are destructive. They killed several of my fruit trees after I'd nursed them to health and productivity for five years.

It was all out war this year. The 10/22 got lots of use and I killed a number of them. Then I decided to give the Havahearts a try as well. Within two days of putting them out I'd caught a dozen of the little rodents. Them things work well.

BTW, chipmunks can't dog paddle for very long. A little water in a 5 gallon bucket dispatches them rather quickly. (they don't hold still enough for long enough in the trap to shoot 'em)

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Squirrels are smart.
Not long ago I started a thread "I am being menaced by a squirrel" where he kept poking holes in my new mulch in the front yard.

So I built him a house.

Does not "menace" me anymore. Smile

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 gage pump loaded with #8 Target loads. It will drop a squirrel out to about 50 yards. BTW it will also drop a crow foolish enough to fly into a Trap field. Really wish it didn't happen but the damned fool bird dove on my clay at the exact instant I released the trigger.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
thread drift, sorta. some years ago I was shooting in a high power league. about 20 or so of us shooting the offhand at 200 yards. A ground hog ambled onto the range. Absolutely no fire discipline. Nobody was sure if he got away or was vaporized.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
thread drift, sorta. some years ago I was shooting in a high power league. about 20 or so of us shooting the offhand at 200 yards. A ground hog ambled onto the range. Absolutely no fire discipline. Nobody was sure if he got away or was vaporized.

I had to pause at the range for deer crossing once.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post