SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Squirrels - How do they know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrels - How do they know? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have a red squirrel raiding my chicken feeders and just generally making a mess.

If I go down to the coop ready for his fuzzy butt, (Single Six and .22 birdshot) he's nowhere to be seen.

If I come through the door with just the egg basket in my hands, he's sitting up on the roost, giving me that itty-bitty squirrel finger...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Must be a rodent scholar.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
They can smell the Hoppe's #9 a mile away.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Must be a rodent scholar.

Hah! Good one!

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
They can smell the Hoppe's #9 a mile away.

Hmmmmmm. I shall have to try approaching from down wind.

posted Hide Post
Smarter than you may think. I once waged war on a family of Groundhogs that were destroying the foundations of barns and sheds on my in-laws horse farm. After I plinked a couple, the others caught on quick. If I was walking the property without a rifle, they ignored me. If I had a rifle, they would disappear.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16060 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
HaveAHeart trap baited with peanut butter on a chunk of bagel.

We have been dealing with our squirrel population that way with considerable effect. What you do with the squirrel after in the trap, that's your choice.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They may be smart but they do have a learning disability. I used to shoot them off the birdfeeder from my upstairs bedroom. I would purposely leave the corpse hoping it would deter others. Nope, they just step right over it and head for the feeder and certain doom.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Where's the Love?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
They are rats with good PR.

They have already killed a number of large branches off our trees by girdling them. They have to chew to wear down their teeth. And lord help you if they get in your attic.

There are no predators for them in suburbia...except us.

A few squirrels are great. Dozens...not so much.

My neighbor is working on the rabbits. Wink

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
HaveAHeart trap baited with peanut butter on a chunk of bagel.

We have been dealing with our squirrel population that way with considerable effect. What you do with the squirrel after in the trap, that's your choice.

A good trap for sure. We have relocated many out of our yard this way. They drive Miss Candy, our Llewellin setter crazy.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Check out some of the squirrel "maze" videos on YouTube. They are persistent and calculating beasts.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I would purposely leave the corpse hoping it would deter others. Nope, they just step right over it and head for the feeder and certain doom.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are rats with good PR.

Exactly. I refer to them as "rats in fur coats".

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They know nuts and your sir are a pecan tree. Razz

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
They know nuts and your sir are a pecan tree. Razz

I resemble that remark!

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
If I come through the door with just the egg basket in my hands, he's sitting up on the roost, giving me that itty-bitty squirrel finger...

Put the gun in the egg basket, maybe?

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
And lord help you if they get in your attic.

I can confirm this is the quickest way to make someone kill every squirrel in the neighborhood.

Posts: 9953 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
You underestimate the power of SQUIRREL.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...eaks-out/1603615002/

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
The secret to squirrel control is a good recipe

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post