SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Christmas carols at the top of your 'most annoying" list?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas carols at the top of your 'most annoying" list? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Santa Baby- Seems pretty creepy

Any jazz version of a classic

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Lou Monte, Dominick The Donkey. Last car dealer played one of the special XM Christmas channels every year and after listening to that several times a day five to six days a week for almost a month, well you can understand better the meme of two cats standing with guitars, one saying to the other “If they ask me to play Cat Scratch Fever once more I’m gonna lose my shit!”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
All of them. I am Grinch!

+1000000000000000000

I absolutely despise Christmas music

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard a Christmas carol that truely annoyed me ... one of the advantages of being severely hearing impaired, I guess.

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I hate “Little Drummer Boy”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Santa Baby- Seems pretty creepy

Any jazz version of a classic

I like Eartha Kitt's rendition. Don’t understand why Madonna’s is so much more popular.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The all time favorite is All I Want for Christmas is You, but it's followed pretty closely by a whole bunch of runners up.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI02_UJ1C6I

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Seriously, V-Tail? That song and “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” convey the innocence of the ‘50’s to me. Like ‘em both. I used to hate Little Drummer Boy, but now I’m “meh” about it.

I also would dispute the notion that these modern songs are “Christmas carols” in any real sense.
Songs, ditties, tunes, whatever; but most all the ones mentioned above would not be sung by a serious choir at Christmas time, or by carolers coming to your door.

Our choir’s Christmas concert with SD Symphony will be about half religious, half contemporary (Jingle Bells, Most Wonderful Time of the Year, We Need A Little Christmas, etc.), and I think that’s a pretty popular combination.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Anything by the Chipmunks.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, V-Tail, that song is one of those I remember rom my childhood. I remember my folks, my grandparents and many others who are no longer here when I hear it.

And sjtill's "I saw Mommy Kissing SANTA Claus" is another.

Even "All I want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" fits in for me.

You're a senior and I relate to almost all your posts-this one just surprised me.

Bob

Posts: 1572 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite: Carol of the Bells. The TSO version. It rocks!
The worst: Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time. You would think an Ex-Beatle would know better.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Seriously, V-Tail?
Nah, not really serious.

I just happened to think of it, sort of an off-the-wall thing, so I just linked the video.

That song doesn't annoy me. Actually none of them do, my hearing loss is such that I can't hear enough to get annoyed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

https://xkcd.com/988/

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t hear many that I don’t play myself, so I can’t think of any that actually annoy me. I’m not even familiar with most of the ones mentioned.

On the other hand, due to my limited exposure to them and being a literalist, I listen to the words of songs and there are three that leave me bemused at best.

A “poor” boy with a drum in ancient Israel? And “playing” it entertains an infant‽ Where did that idea even come from?
The one with the “tail as big as a kite”—again?
But my favorite line that literally makes me laugh out loud whenever I hear it is, “a child shivers in the cold; let us bring him silver and gold.”

But I’m another who likes the Christmas season. I like the lights and decorations and the music (that I listen to). I don’t give or expect to receive gifts, I stay away from crowds, and I don’t spend time “just because” with people whom I don’t like, so I don’t have any of that stress or strain that is primarily self-inflicted by the people who whine and moan about those things.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Paul McCartney's Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time...DAMN IT'S HORRIBLY ANNOYING Red Face

They should play that song to break terrorists down for interrogations...if they’re not already doing it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)".

Yep, me too

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
All of them. I am Grinch!

+1000000000000000000
I absolutely despise Christmas music

Right there with you guys.
Nat King Cole’s Christmas Song I can listen to once or twice *maybe*, after that I want to smash speakers.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'll have to start writing my own Happy Festivus tunes. Can't seem to find any...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Not sure if these are the worst or best. Smile

I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas

This. The worst of the worst.

Followed closely by that Christmas Shoes song and I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by the Jacksons.

"I'm going to tell my dad". Pathetic.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post