SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A Promotion Is NOT Supposed To Be Traumatic
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Promotion Is NOT Supposed To Be Traumatic Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I got a HUGE promotion this week. It's been a long time coming.

In 2007 I was hired to open the new department. I started it from the ground up. It was a total mystery to them and how things could possibly work. I set policy and procedure, materials and workflow. I took off running with it and within 90 days was producing successful projects.

12 years later I have grown the department three times with equipment, materials and personnel.

There has been discussion by the executives to take the company into a new direction. The future of the industry. We went to Vegas last month for a state of the industry convention that featured all the newest technology and equipment.

In the last 12 years 40% of all production now goes through my hands directly. The numbers show I have the highest percentage of profit with the least amount of waste. So much profit, that they are wanting to close down labor intensive procedures and have me make them digital. One man = one machine.

They found themselves time and time again interrupting me from my classes to consult over equipment.

The digital age is here. We are going to have new processes and a new kind of employee to hire.

I have 35 years in the field the company is headed all from my previous experiences. 15 of those years teaching. Makes me qualified to train.

There isn't a piece of extremely complicated equipment that I don't know inside and out or can't repair if needed, even our laser. In fact, I was sent to classes on it's operation and maintenance to set policy and write the training manual.

I am now the ONLY employee in the company qualified to steer this ship in that direction.

I was an independent employee in my department with free reign on how I operated it with a production supervisor/manager that was technically able to give me orders. She considered herself having control over my department. However I was the only one who could train people as she has zero experience with technology and just let it pass her by.

I am CONSTANTLY taking classes and continuing my education and improving my skills by keeping a very close relationship with my material vendors. They offer free classes from manufacturers in turn for using the products. The production manager saw them as irritating distractions so she lost out on ANY advancement of her skills.

Well, discussion started on promoting me to Division Director from production and there was one single dissenting voice. SHE said that it was HER steering my department and tried to use the words I use in day to day operations in correcting projects for production. Metermeric failure, Gamut deficiency, density plateau, etc.

She thinks the monitor stuck on the desk is the RIPstation itself.

Last Thursday after an uninsitgated fight that came out of nowhere with her the day before, I had every intention of resigning and taking a job that was offered with a major manufacturer as it was known they have been courting me for years.

I had no idea why she was being so hostile. Her department drips with a toxic work environment as it is and has orders to steer clear of me.

I got to the executive officer's office and he asked me to close the door. I NEVER go to his office. He KNEW what I was up to if I came to him.

We spoke a bit about how phenomenal of a job I had done for the company and I had EARNED my way to a promotion capable of steering the company. My former supervisor would now take orders from me and the only person I would answer to was him. He gave me 100% credit for making the company so successful. My pay would double effective immediately. He would inform the supervisor when we got back from the holiday, so I had to keep quiet for 2 days.

I was in shock, so I kept to myself and the supervisor keyed into my new found great mood.

On Friday she was testing her suspicions that she was going to be usurped for the position of Director and just steer ME in the direction she wanted the department to go while using MY skills and knowledge.

She brought one of my trainees and sat her down at MY personal workstation with the critical color control systems and set her to work. I politely asked the employee to let me have my workstation until I finish out the day, I have production under control, just go relax somewhere with some busy work and get ready for the long weekend.

Supervisor starts yelling at me about not having enough workstations with the critical controls on it for HER workers (actually now my workers) and calls me into her office demanding my department layout sheet and for me to teach her how everything works. NOW!!!!!

She is screeching that I treat her like a dumbass and I am REQUIRED to teach her how everything works so SHE can make the PROPER decisions for the department.

She said she had a meeting with CEO and I am supposed to do these things now. I said no ma'am, I have it under control and since you spoke with CEO, you already know. She LIED and said "YES, I KNOW", now get me the information. I said, just let me run my department and we will discuss this on Tuesday. She said WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR DEPARTMENT!!!!! Well, since you spoke with CEO, you know it's 100% mine now and I am to steer it into the future.

She threw the scrawled department layout, software brochures and equipment specs at me, screaming about how they don't know what they are doing and only SHE could control my department and just stormed out of the building.

We had our meeting Tuesday morning and it was BRUTAL. I got chewed up for allowing her to goad me into a confrontation, however he said I DID have to play the part of obedient employee and did. The ONLY thing I could have done to diffuse the situation was to go into my departmen and lock it down, stopping production.

She was lucky to walk out of there still with her job intact.

She was ORDERED to work as my partner as I transition.

Now that the company wide memo was sent out, she has been quiet as a church mouse and calls me sir. Her attempt to usurp me was deflected easily. She could have been successful if she had blocked my from taking all the classes and removing all contact with the vendors and kept me isolated from the equipment manufacturers.

On top of my new duties, I have to fix the toxic environment and try to salvage a long time employee on the edge of termination.

Well, I am the new Director over all digital production, interior and exterior divisons.

It should have been a celebration, hey Marzy, Congratulations I'm so proud of you!, but no.
It's anticlimactic, draining, and nothing but trauma.

Now I have people choosing sides. Sycophants, detractors and the few that are happy for me. Oh and the obligatory power attracted chix now making goo goo eyes. Oh lord.

Hey, at least I'm out looking for a new truck as I just handed the keys to the old one over to Tabitha's son. Now HE is beyond happy and that is good enough for me.

Marzy, Director of Digital Operations. Has a nice ring to it, don'cha think?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Marzy. You'll work through the problems.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It is good to hear that hard work pays off. Congratulations to you!

It might be tense at work for a while, but try to leave it behind you at quitting time every day. Take a few deep breaths, go home, enjoy your time with Tabitha, and have a drink (if that's your thing).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Do what’s right, watch your six, don’t let anyone drag you into their drama/bullshit. I have no doubt you already know these things but it bears repeating. Congratulations!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Pay doubled? Holy shit.

That would be a hell of a cocktail that evening.

Congrats!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new job/promotion.

Now, as far as your former-supervisor now subordinate, assign her the job of counting paper clips and cleaning the latrines. You need to get that toxic bitch gone, as she’ll undercut and back-stab you at ever turn.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Pay doubled? Holy shit.

That would be a hell of a cocktail that evening.

Congrats!

I have a hangover.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do what’s right, watch your six,

This. You've got a huge target on you with someone who has all sorts of ammo if you let her gather it.

To quote the pig; Be vewwwwwy careful!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that's awesome!!

quote:
Now I have people choosing sides. Sycophants, detractors and the few that are happy for me. Oh and the obligatory power attracted chix now making goo goo eyes. Oh lord.

And this is why many people like to bring in their own people / new hires when taking over a role. Is there someone who can play the "bad cop" to get people in line?

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mars!
Sounds like you earned it and then some.

As for the bionic woman you are burdened with, my guess is she is still plotting a coup. Otherwise I'd think she would have left for greener pastures but I doubt she has the cred to earn it so she's stuck there.

Good news is you had to be very resourceful and relentless to get where you are, so I doubt she has a prayer due to being so out classed.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
You no doubt know that the higher you rise in an organization the more political it can get.
Gear.Up's suggestion about a "bad cop" is a valid one as long as you choose a loyal employee who know's just how far he can go without crossing the line. He or she will be a very rare individual. Good luck; you earned the position the correct way, through hard work.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Unfortunately in a situation like that, it's very hard to avoid drama, since there are hard feelings from those who have been passed over.

As you climb the ranks, you'll be dealing more with 'people issues' then 'production issues', unfortunately.

5% of the people will take 80+% of your time seems to be commonplace.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
She had earned the reputation as the Department of Can’t.

Just keeping projects within her abilities to produce, you know, everything that the competition does with ease. I am able to say yes and figure out a method to give an in budget successful repeatable product.

I am going to blindside the competition. They might be able to purchase equipment, but they don’t have me to utilize it.

I have been training them for several years for the manufacturer and they don’t impress me.

I now am under a noncompete clause and my pay reflects what I made on the side as compensation.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Good or you. That's a great story and a well deserved promotion.

I worked with 20% men and 80% women. Guess which group caused the most drama and problems.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
teach her how everything works. NOW!!!!!

Sure, everything I've learned over twelve years, you want to know in fifteen minutes. Riiiiight.

Stay strong. Maybe she'll get discouraged and find a position elsewhere.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Giant congratulations to you !

I needed some HAppy News,
thanks for sharing.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Marzy, if there's anything I've learned about you from reading your posts since I got here in 2007, it's that you (or your brother) don't back down from a challenge. I have no doubt you will be successful.

So, congratulations! And go take some Tylenol and hydrate!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Being the boss isn't fun. I'm fact a lot of times it sucks ass. But you know what to do.

She has to go. She will undermine everything you do. Document everything and have some frank and direct conversations with your bosses, they know it too I'll bet.

You can't clear the culture if the producer of the toxic atmosphere is still around. I'll bet they will all thank you when she's gone.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
She is my inferior, but we both answer to CEO.

I can only handle personnel problems within my direct control.

While I can't fire her, I CAN allow her enough rope to hang herself.

I will have my hands full training clueless newbies. I refer to my trainees as Mortys and I am the Rickest Rick there is.

I have the wheel of the flagship and everyone wants in my department. I will only take the best of the best and one of my trainees who chose the wrong side just didn't make the cut.

She got promised a raise, her own workstation and printer if she helped usurp me.

Now I am having her trained to set up files. It's a promotion, but has an abrupt ceiling. My Mortys have the stars above them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
She has to go. She will undermine everything you do. Document everything and have some frank and direct conversations with your bosses, they know it too I'll bet.

You can't clear the culture if the producer of the toxic atmosphere is still around. I'll bet they will all thank you when she's gone.

THIS!!

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post