SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbor issues?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor issues? Login/Join 
posted
I have a neighbor who hires a lawn crew to trim her yard once a week on Tuesday mornings it seems.

We live in a small suburban neighborhood, the houses aren't quite as close as they would be in the city, but we're definitely close together. Maybe 20-30 feet between homes.

Her yard is maybe 100'x100' both front and back yard. It would be a 30 minute job with a self propelled mower, I have the same yard and such a mower myself, but that's not up for me to decide if she's lazy or not.

I work second shift and although it would be nice, I don't expect the world to stop and start at my convenience while I'm trying to sleep.

Here's my issue ... these guys show up like clock work every Tuesday morning at 8 am.

I would never dare start my own mower at such an hour regardless of weekday or weekend. I would feel self conscious and rude if I mowed the lawn at that hour.

Am I being unreasonable?

What would your reaction be?

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My neighbors and I don't usually start "loud" outdoor projects until around 8-8:30am anytime throughout the week/week-end.

The exception is contractors like roofers who start much earlier.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Try living on a golf course lot where they start work at 6 am !

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People in my area start early. This time of year even more so. It gets damn hot very quick.

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you ask if the neighbor wants to have the lawn work done at that time or if later in the day is ok with her? Then could you ask the crew leader if he could switch up this yard in the schedule and come later?

I start my lawn care on Saturday morning at 8 am.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
8am isn't unreasonable in my opinion. I think Dresden has the right idea. I bet if you approached your neighbor and explained the situation she'd be willing to reschedule. What would she care if the lawn was done later in the day?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But what about her contractor's schedule?

I'm pretty sure they schedule locations in a order that works best for them.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
8 am is the earliest you are allowed in my town to make noise with things like lawnmowers, etc.

I don't see what the issue is? Get some earplugs if it bothers you that much. It's 8 am not 5 am.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna agree that 8 doesn't seem an unreasonable time for lawn care, roofing, general mayhem to be underway.

I do think the suggestions about (politely, you damn Yankees!) asking the neighbor if she can ask the service to rotate another nearby to the earlier time slot without too much inconvenience.

I suspect the issue will be that they are only in the immediate area for 1-2 hours, and that may not be enough movement to make much difference for you. I'd consider earplugs or white noise for Monday nights as well as an option.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Agree, 8am isn't too early.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I woulda looked like a real jackass based on the responses.

I'm glad I didn't say anything to the neighbor and I guess on Tuesday mornings me and my feline friend will be sipping our morning coffee a little earlier than we'd like, all the while being serenaded by John Deere.

On a brighter note, 226 legion SAO this Friday.. I can't wait :-)

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory056349:

I'm glad I didn't say anything to the neighbor and I guess on Tuesday mornings me and my feline friend will be sipping our morning coffee a little earlier than we'd like, all the while being serenaded by John Deere.

I don't think you'd look like a jackass. Just approach it right, not that she's doing something wrong, that you would like her to do you a favor.

Alternately you could offer to mow it for her for 1/2 of what they charge maybe? That buy you some ammo for the new Legion.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I mowed the yard at 2am once!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go over and ask, nicely. The answer will always be no until you ask.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
Insulation?

I can't really hear much going on outside of my house...certainly nothing that would keep me from sleeping.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory056349:

I don't think you'd look like a jackass. Just approach it right, not that she's doing something wrong, that you would like her to do you a favor.

Alternately you could offer to mow it for her for 1/2 of what they charge maybe? That buy you some ammo for the new Legion.

This. If she's a good neighbor I'd tell he my reasoning and maby offer to mow her with mine if 1/2 of what she pays

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned while on aircraft carriers - you get used to the noise.

I typically worked nights and on the ship which sounded eight-bells, plus all the other ship wide announcements, when I came home it would take me a week or so before getting used to the quiet enough to sleep through the night.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
8am on a weekday? Unusual, but no problem.

8am on a Sunday....we got a problem.

I agree with those who suggested talking to your neighbor and asking her to request a later time in the day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
that little bit of a yard,maybe you should cut it when you cut yours,I mow my little elderly
neighbors all the time.
Hay I am an old man and love the exercise thing

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
8:00 am is too early, but for your reason The grass is still wet from dew. I don't like to mow until after 10 so the grass has a chance to dry out.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post