SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Whitetail Deer have antlers, not horns!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail Deer have antlers, not horns! Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
I belong to an online forum for western NY hunters. This shouldn't bother me but I really hate when people call deer antlers "horns". It's just ignant!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Apart from appearance, I genuinely didn't know the difference.

Googled & learned something new today.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Apart from appearance, I genuinely didn't know the difference.

Googled & learned something new today.

Proper. Cool

-----------------------

Posts: 8522 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift: About 1.5 hours east of Chibic is a herd of rare white deer at a now closed ammo depot where I worked 30+ years ago.

https://www.senecawhitedeer.org/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Slight thread drift: About 1.5 hours east of Chibic is a herd of rare white deer at a now closed ammo depot where I worked 30+ years ago.

I know it well. See them frequently when I drive on 96A. Were you there when the women's encampment crap was going on? ALso, I am fine with the thread drift, just don't call the white deer antlers "horns". Razz

-----------------------

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

There was a Department of Energy location south of Chicago. The campus was beautiful, many acres of fields, trees, with a winding road that went through it.

We used to ride our motorcycles through that road, had to be especially careful in the evening, around dusk, herds of white deer lived there.

There was another Dept. of Energy site west of Chicago, buffalo roamed that campus.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:

I know it well. See them all the time when I drive on 96A. Were you there when the women's encampment crap was going on?

Yes, check your mail in a few minutes.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horns --Antlers Clip --Magazine -- Deal with it .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
horns= much more fun

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGSrmquKdQ

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've always called it a rack of antlers... measured in points.

"Nice 10-point rack you got on that one" is the common phrasing at the weigh stations.

Never heard anyone refer to them as horns.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There was another Dept. of Energy site west of Chicago, buffalo roamed that campus.

That's Fermi Lab in Batavia - underground particle accelerator so the land above it is largely empty, and perfect for Buffalo grazing.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

That's Fermi Lab in Batavia - underground particle accelerator so the land above it is largely empty, and perfect for Buffalo grazing.
Right. I left that area almost forty years ago, didn't remember the name of the place.

The other location, south, where the white deer were, there was a lot of research and testing on storage batteries. I did some software development on contract there, around 1980, more or less. I don't remember the name of that facility either, but it was Department of Energy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...The other location, south, where the white deer were, there was a lot of research and testing on storage batteries... but it was Department of Energy.

South of Romulus and DOE. How about Binghamton?

https://www.binghamton.edu/necces/

FWIW, State Univ of NY at Binghamton is sometimes called Harpur College.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

...The other location, south, where the white deer were, there was a lot of research and testing on storage batteries... but it was Department of Energy.
South of Romulus and DOE. Hmm... Ithaca and Cornell University? Corning/Elmira area and Corning Glass? Owego? Binghamton?
South of Chicago. The Batavia that Lefty Sig mentioned is Batavia IL, west of Chicago, not Batavia NY.

It was maybe forty years ago that I worked there, I can not remember the name of the location. I worked for a software contracting company, I had quite a few different projects in the area. Looking back at it now, it's a bit of a blur.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Interesting about the white deer herds. We have a local department of energy, as well as a few white deer. Conspiracy theory, or coincidence?

Although they are not true albinos, they have blue eyes, and deformed joints and hoofs. It’s considered bad mojo to shoot them. But I haven’t seen any in awhile, so somebody probably broke that curse.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Once the antler / horn dilemma is settled, you can work on the magazine / clip issue.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horns are worn year round and never stop growing, Antlers are seasonal dress worn just to attract the hot young females.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Antlers are seasonal dress worn just to attract the hot young females.

And hunters Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

Hmmm. Interesting about the white deer herds. We have a local department of energy, as well as a few white deer....

All about the white deer in upstate NY. I worked here 1983-86 as an Army civilian, saw the deer all the time.

https://www.senecawhitedeer.or...About%20White%20Deer

WHAT ARE THE WHITE DEER OF THE FORMER SENECA ARMY DEPOT?
The white deer found at Seneca Army Depot are a natural variation of the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus), which usually have brown coloring. The Seneca White Deer are leucistic, meaning they lack all pigmentation in the hair, but have the normal brown-colored eyes.

Albino deer, which lack only the pigment melanin, have pink eyes and are extremely rare. The Seneca White Deer interbreed freely with the brown deer in the former Depot and share the habitat equally. Some white bucks show a flattening, or palmation, of the antlers, but are physiologically similar in most other ways.

The genetics of these deer have not been studied extensively, but a recessive gene for lack of pigmentation apparently prevents usual (i.e. brown) coloration of the hair. Management of the white deer within the former Depot increases the proportion of deer exhibiting the trait.

In an unprotected environment, white deer are usually easy prey for predators or hunters. The limited predators and controlled hunting on the former Depot have allowed the white deer to interbreed and increase in numbers for more than 60 years. Other white deer herds exist in protected environments, including white fallow deer in Ireland, but none of those herds are as large as the white, whitetail deer of the Depot.

HISTORY OF THE WHITE DEER
Several dozen wild white-tailed deer were probably caught within the fence that was built to surround the Seneca Army Depot in 1941. Isolated from predators and hunters, the deer population grew quickly. The first white deer, a buck and a fawn, were spotted in the Depot in 1949. After the first white deer sighting, protection from the U.S. Army resulted in more white deer and the proportion of white deer gradually increased.

When the total population of deer within the fence grew larger than the limited habitat could support in the mid-1950s, the Army allowed hunting to reduce the size of the deer herd and prevent starvation, but protected the white deer from hunters. The Depot Commander, Colonel Franklin Kemble, Jr. gave orders not to kill the white deer and is responsible for the extensive herd that exists today.

At one time, white deer accounted for almost 200 of the approximately 800 deer within the Depot fence. The population of both white and brown deer appears to have decreased in recent years. The future of the deer, as well as the rest of the wildlife in the former Depot will depend on maintaining Deer Haven Park as a safe refuge and improving the habitat for these beautiful animals.

Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Once the antler / horn dilemma is settled, you can work on the magazine / clip issue.

Then paddle/oar. One does not use oars in a canoe or kayak.

Then, for all the guitarists, maple/rosewood.

Then world peace.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post